To buy or not to buy?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2457
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2457

I have the chance to get some B&W P5 Series 2 headphones which are customer returned, what do you think? They are £50 cheaper and come with full warranty. Cheers.

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Provided you have heard the headphones in question and like their sound, I would say: why not?

Make sure their are working 100% and have no markings.

D

Deleted member 2457

Superaintit said:
Provided you have heard the headphones in question and like their sound, I would say: why not?

Make sure their are working 100% and have no markings.
I will try and check them out, they come with a 2 year warranty too. Thanks.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
You just bought some headphones. You've already said you wouldn't consider buying these for at least a year. In a year's time you'll be able to get another deal somewhere. You can't afford them. What do you think my answer is?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I also think you should save your money....you enjoy the thrill of the hunt, but once your prey is caught, the anticipation disappears and the chances are, you will sell them on.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Sometimes i buy stuff i shouldn't, the other week i bought a dyson DC59 i got it for a good price of £279 a week later it went up twenty quid.

D

Deleted member 2457

I think you guys are right, cheers. I will save my money.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
The more you look around for deals you don't need (like the Philips headphones offer you posted), the more likely you are to buy things you don't need.
I did order those Philips headphones but then cancelled that order!

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
gel said:
I think you guys are right, cheers. I will save my money.

Thank the heavens for that and well done for those of you that got in ahead of me.

Simon, Gel really doesn't benefit IN THE LEAST BIT from your little anecdote, you've been on here long enough to know that.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I'm beginning to wonder why we are always trying to stop gel from buying things. (I've done it myself.) He evidently has a lot more disposable income than I do for such purchases and a lot more more leisure time in which to enjoy them.

I say 'go for it' gel.

My new P3s and iPad Mini 3 were - partly - impulse buys during/after 3 months of medical treatment (20 nights of which were spent in hospital) that only ended - hopefully - last week. I'd have had some choice words for anyone telling me how to/how not to treat myself after all that and i've now realised what we must sound like lecturing gel on how he rewards himself.

Enjoy youself man.

D

Deleted member 2457

chebby said:
I'm beginning to wonder why we are always trying to stop gel from buying things. (I've done it myself.) He evidently has a lot more disposable income than I do for such purchases and a lot more more leisure time in which to enjoy them.

I say 'go for it' gel.

My new P3s and iPad Mini 3 were - partly - impulse buys during/after 3 months of medical treatment (20 nights of which were spent in hospital) that only ended - hopefully - last week. I'd have had some choice words for anyone telling me how to/how not to treat myself after all that and i've now realised what we must sound like lecturing gel on how he rewards himself.

Enjoy youself man.
Similar advice to what my uncle says. *smile*

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
gel said:
chebby said:

I say 'go for it' gel.

Enjoy youself man.

The problem we have is that, despite all you've told us, we really don't know what your financial situation is. We DO know (at least in part) your medical situation and the worry we have is that your condition is causing you to spend money you don't actually have and you're getting yourself into debt. That may not be the case, you may be loaded and the cost of these purchases is utterly irrelevant but none of us know that, so we can only advise you on what we understand to be happening, namely that you're in danger of getting yourself into financial trouble due to the impulsive nature of your purchases.

BTW, that ISN'T a request for you to give us chapter and verse on your finances, that's your business and yours alone and you don't need to tell us anything about it.

D

Deleted member 2457

The_Lhc said:
gel said:
chebby said:

I say 'go for it' gel.

Enjoy youself man.

The problem we have is that, despite all you've told us, we really don't know what your financial situation is. We DO know (at least in part) your medical situation and the worry we have is that your condition is causing you to spend money you don't actually have and you're getting yourself into debt. That may not be the case, you may be loaded and the cost of these purchases is utterly irrelevant but none of us know that, so we can only advise you on what we understand to be happening, namely that you're in danger of getting yourself into financial trouble due to the impulsive nature of your purchases.

BTW, that ISN'T a request for you to give us chapter and verse on your finances, that's your business and yours alone and you don't need to tell us anything about it.
I don't know really how to describe my finances, I have a bit of savings and I get about £400 per month to do with what I want. Really I should save this money, it's been about 2 years since I saved anything. I don't have a company pension or anything like that, so saving is wise. My spending has been illness related, but I think I am just about getting control of that now. I saved for Xmas presents well, and have just paid for my holiday in May. I think I will see if I can get the headphones or sale, but until then just demo them again and see what I think. I do have one cheap pair of headphones I get on well with, but on YouTube the more expensive headphones sound better. The problem I have is most headphones hurt my ears. The Bose were pretty good here and they sound great I just don't get much excitement out of them though. Yep, my finances are very difficult to describe without giving everything away. If I was to get a part time job I would also double my spending money though to around £735 per month. So then I would really be in a better position, as long as I don't go crazy again! *smile*

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
chebby said:

I say 'go for it' gel.

Enjoy youself man.

Come on Chebby, I've seen no-one ''lecturing'' and I don't ever recall Gel telling people to mind their own. He has, as far as I've seen, been appreciative of the comments/help that people have offered him.

As to your impulse buys situation, you are comparing Apples with Elephants.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
You lot are like cows licking a calf's forhead. *ROFL* Since everyone else mothered gel, I'll just talk headphones.

IMO the B&Ws are for looking stylish and cool outdoors, in cafes, uni, bookstore etc. Easy to drive with your iphone, sound great, built to last, look very sexy. However, if you're going to use these just indoors, might as well get a pair of fugly, heavy, difficult to drive but amazingly comfortable and sonically brilliant circumaural headphones. *unknw*

What is your outdoor/indoor ratio with cans gel? I personally only use IEMs for outdoors. When I was younger I wore all sorts of unsightly cans outside in crowds.

D

Deleted member 2457

Vladimir said:
You lot are like cows licking a calf's forhead. *ROFL* Since everyone else mothered gel, I'll just talk headphones.

IMO the B&Ws are for looking stylish and cool outdoors, in cafes, uni, bookstore etc. Easy to drive with your iphone, sound great, built to last, look very sexy. However, if you're going to use these just indoors, might as well get a pair of fugly, heavy, difficult to drive but amazingly comfortable and sonically brilliant circumaural headphones. *unknw*

What is your outdoor/indoor ratio with cans gel? I personally only use IEMs for outdoors. When I was younger I wore all sorts of unsightly cans outside in crowds.
Indoors all the time and I like on ear headphones. Cheers. I like a bit of noise isolation on them too.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
Gel has said few times in the past of financial difficulties and also admits to suffering from oniomania. That's why I always remind him if he really needs something.
Cheers BB. *smile*. And the rest of you, I do need a helping hand at times for sure.*smile*

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
gel said:
Indoors all the time and I like on ear headphones. Cheers. I like a bit of noise isolation on them too.

If so, IMHO these are not for you. *unknw* There are better cans for the budget, performance wise at least. However, if you just like them like a collection item for their great looks and high rated reviews, you can buy and enjoy them for a while.

D

Deleted member 2457

Vladimir said:
gel said:

If so, IMHO these are not for you. *unknw* There are better cans for the budget, performance wise at least. However, if you just like them like a collection item for their great looks and high rated reviews, you can buy and enjoy them for a while.
Got any examples, please? Cheers

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
gel said:

Sennheiser HD800. Why delay the inevitable? *biggrin*

Do you really have to buy something as soon as possible? Enjoy the research a bit. Its the journey, not the destination that matters.

I personally for $300 would go after a pair of AKG K712, MrSpeakers Mad Dogs, HiFiMan HE-400 or Denon AH-D2000.

D

Deleted member 2457

Vladimir said:
gel said:

Sennheiser HD800. Why delay the inevitable? *biggrin*

Do you really have to buy something as soon as possible? Enjoy the research a bit. Its the journey, not the destination that matters.

I personally for $300 would go after a pair of AKG K712, MrSpeakers Mad Dogs, second hand HiFiMan HE-400 or Denon AH-D2000.
Cheers I will look them up. Yep, I am going to take my time with this one.

TRENDING THREADS