Audio streaming quality with smartphone to amp BT connection.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Fandango Andy

I'm interested to learn what you did in the end.
I bought a wiim mini in January and I connect it to my Sony STR DH790 receiver using RCA connections ( red and white leads into the back of the amp) and stream over wifi with Amazon Music, I can control the tracks on either the wiim app or amazon music app.

I did connect an optical lead but I prefered the RCA connection, it just seemed fuller sounding to me.

I did also play the same track over bluetooth and it did feel different again, more echoey.

Which WiiM did you go for? I have a Mini as I got it before the Pro and Pro+ came out. My amp doesn't have a DAC so my only options were RCA so using the WiiM DAC, or an external DAC. I tried both and went for a SMSL SU-1. While I haven't done a blind test or a any extensive testing, I am happy with the result.

Ecafhsif

Apr 20, 2024
Visit site
Which WiiM did you go for? I have a Mini as I got it before the Pro and Pro+ came out. My amp doesn't have a DAC so my only options were RCA so using the WiiM DAC, or an external DAC. I tried both and went for a SMSL SU-1. While I haven't done a blind test or a any extensive testing, I am happy with the result.
Hi I got the mini, I looked at the pro but the recommendation I had was the mini and pro use the same dac so there was little point in buying the pro.

I still use Bluetooth for my bt speaker, I was just intrigued by the whole dedicated streaming thing.
My first idea was to get a thing called triangle A- io, but the wiim mini came in at half the price.

Reactions: Fandango Andy

rob_wales

Feb 1, 2020
Visit site
I'm interested to learn what you did in the end.
I bought a wiim mini in January and I connect it to my Sony STR DH790 receiver using RCA connections ( red and white leads into the back of the amp) and stream over wifi with Amazon Music, I can control the tracks on either the wiim app or amazon music app.

I did connect an optical lead but I prefered the RCA connection, it just seemed fuller sounding to me.

I did also play the same track over bluetooth and it did feel different again, more echoey.
I now use either RCA cables to a phone jack adapter on my phone, or I use an optical cable between the optical port on the Marantz amp and an optical-to-phone jack adapter. Both sound about the same in terms of sound quality, but the RCA seems to have more volume for some reason. My volume control is set to about 20% of max and it is pretty loud. If I turned it up full, or even to 80% I think I would get complaints from my neighbour - and I live in a detached house. Both options are cheap - I just need a simple adapter for the phone and a cable. SPDIF to USB C
USB C to 3.5mm

Last edited:
Reactions: Ecafhsif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts