To buy a 3D TV or not to buy a 3D TV ................

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi one and all,

Got a question for ya'all ................

I just recently moved into my own house and am making do with a Philips 23inch television. Majority of money was spent on refurbishing repairs etc so do not have much money. But am in need of a decent TV. Playing PS3 on a small
screen is not exactly the way forward. Am also planning on getting Sky HD as well to make the most of my new TV.

So am tempted to buy the Samsung LE40B550, after reading the review for it. Reasons for it were:

1 - Its a decent size screen, specs are good as is performance

2 - Decent price as well

3 - I can invest in a decent price TV now and get the Sky+ HD box. Later in the year or two, when 3D TV's have kicked off and got better, dropped in price, I can sell my Samsung LE40B550 and money from that I can put towards a 3D TV or even a 3D LED TV???. Wont need to get a decoder as the Sky+ HD is already compatible with 3D.

4 - Whatever money i got left over now, can put towards a decent surround sound system.

Is my way of thinking right? Or should i just put the extra £1000 (got to find
it from somewhere ...) and invest in a all singing all dancing 3D TV now?

Advice greatly appreciated. :)

Regards

Nadeem

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Personally I'd go for the Samsung and surround system. You'll get a lot more pleasure from this in conjunction with Sky 5.1 movies, 5.1 gaming and Blu-Ray on the PS3 etc. over the next 2-3 years than you will from watching the occasional 3D film / TV broadcast.

A

Anonymous

I'd second that. Early adopters will pay a premium for 3D gear. Also, it would seem there's not going to be a great deal of content available in 3D initially. In 18-24 months, there should be plenty of content and the equipment will be more affordable.

A

Anonymous

pejwright:

In 18-24 months, there should be plenty of content and the equipment will be more affordable.

Or even better in 18-24 months 3D will have died another slow and painful death. This would justify my decision on not going out and replacing a load of perfectly good gear on the off chance this is A) any good and B) takes off properly to ensure enough quality 3D content is produced. Then again there's always the chance I could be absolutely wrong!................

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
Thirded. The only thing I might suggest is that you put the money for the AVR aside and pick that up in a couple of months when all the new AVRs come out that will allow 3D signals to pass through. If you get an AVR with enough future compatibility it can easily last you several years of good service. If you are considering that a 3D TV might become part of your setup within the next 3 years I'd wait a couple of months to try and ensure that you wouldn't have to upgrade the AVR as part of that.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts