Throwing the cable cat amongst the pigeons!

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Mike Hunt

Jan 22, 2020
Visit site
What are people's views on these beauties? Will they make for more natural skin tones and a massively massive soundstage?

Synergistic Research Orange Fuses

synergistic-research-orange-fuses_4.png

Excl. TAX: €131.40
Incl. TAX: €159.00

But they do have an 'extremely good price/performance ratio'.

Mike Hunt

Jan 22, 2020
Visit site
I can't comment on those particular fuses.
The blurb is priceless :ROFLMAO:

Orange is the new Blue!

By now it is fully clear to A/V enthusiasts that better fuses than the stock ones are simply a must to extract the best performance from all A/V equipment. If you are searching for the best fuse available worldwide, this one is yours!

There is no other tweak or upgrade in this price range that has such an enormous impact as simply replacing your stock fuse with an Orange Fuse. It may seem a lot of money, 159 Euros for a single fuse, but its value expressed in other upgrades easily surpasses the 1000 Euro mark. That is why the price/performance ratio of the new Orange Fuse is simply unbeatable.

It may sound boring that every new fuse is the greatest leap in performance of all new generations of SR fuses, but there's no arguing: it is true... several experienced beta-testers confirmed the leap in performance from Blue to Orange is far more significant than the - already great - upgrade from Black to Blue. This tells a lot about the effect the new Orange Fuse will have in your system.

While the Blue certainly is a very good fuse, compared to the Orange, the latter really excels in tonal accuracy as well as providing the finest details without the listening fatigue that's so often associated with "bright" sounding fuses. Of course, this comes on top of improved staging and depth of field as well as a new definition of life-like realism combined with an unsurpassed musicality with the correct timbre.

In case there are several fuses in a single piece of equipment, our hint is: start with the primary (main) fuse. This one will carry all current drawn and is the most important one.

Are Orange Fuses directional?
Yes, all fuses are directional. Electricity should flow from the left to the right when you view the fuse (from the "S" to the "R"). If you do not know the direction of flow you should listen to the fuse inserted in both directions. One direction will sound more detailed with a more natural timbre. This is the correct way.

What to expect during the burn-in process?
Brand new Orange Fuses tend to outperform fully broken in Blue Fuses. With Orange Fuses you can expect a mild burn-in during the first 200-300 hours. During this time you should experience a balancing of the soundstage with improved frequency linearity especially in the mid-range and high frequencies. While break-in time of especially the Black Fuse could be significant, the new Orange Fuse will beat a fully broken in Blue Fuse already, right out of the box. After just 24 hours it really starts to open up, and from that moment... things will only get better and better and better!

Mike Hunt

Jan 22, 2020
Visit site
I was going to pull your leg, along the lines of 'I bet you're fighting off the 'ladies' with a sh*tty stick', but then remembered I visit one to do with remote controls.

Now, where's the 'embarrassed' emoji...
It was around 20 years ago, and I was installing satellite TV at the time. You can't even start to imagine the size of the stick I needed to keep them at bay. :p

Just out of curiosity Mike, have you ever tried different combinations of cables in sequence and subjected them to your analyses? I'm just wondering whether any mild form of thermoelectric effect is possible with different conductors. I know kit gets warm, and voice coils can be burned out (NOT in!) with too high volume levels. (Because I did it when I was a youngster...)

(I'm certainly not trying to prove any sort of point here - just curious and lacking the equipment to see for myself.)

Last edited:

Mike Hunt

Jan 22, 2020
Visit site
Just out of curiosity Mike, have you ever tried different combinations of cables in sequence and subjected them to your analyses? I'm just wondering whether any mild form of thermoelectric effect is possible with different conductors. I know kit gets warm, and voice coils can be burned out (NOT in!) with too high volume levels. (Because I did it when I was a youngster...)

(I'm certainly not trying to prove any sort of point here - just curious and lacking the equipment to see for myself.)
I've tried lots of different cables. The only time I ever noticed an audible difference was when using really cheap (think 99p) or really badly made/designed cables.
I've been making my own cables for 20+ years, and used lots of different types of wire, but never noticed a difference worthy of note. I guess I must just be making them right... or I'm tone deaf. ;)

Reactions: Al ears
Apologies, I might not have made myself particularly clear there - have you tried cables of different conductors wired together (one after the other, not mixed) in one cable - this will mostly be the case between amp and drive units because the internal wiring is usually not the same as the speaker cable.

It's probably academic, but my understanding of the thermoelectric effect is that some different conductors when connected and heated generate electricity - it's how the Curiosity Martian rover's RTG is powered. I was just wondering whether this might produce an effect detectable in your testing - did you call it sweep testing?

In all honesty, I have absolutely no idea - but in the most vaguely theoretical sense, a temperature gradient (which almost certainly exists between amp and source and could exist between amp and speaker) could produce DC electricity as an unwanted side effect - that's the thermoelectric effect - and if it did that would affect the net electrical signal carried. It's probably a dead end, but in the interests of science I wondered if it was worth a test? I got thinking about it when people stared talking about different cabling inside and outside loudspeakers.

(Not all combinations of conductors produce it though - if you were curious enough that'd need considering. Like I say, it's almost certainly a dead end.)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 188516

and following on from the basic 79 strand speaker cables i/we use and recommend. Here's a picture of second and last speaker cables i/we use and recommend. Basic 500 strand speaker cables chilling out at the store before heading off our clients homes -

View attachment 1136

may i ask whats the reason for sometimes recommending qed 79strand and other times 500 strand cable ?

D

Deleted member 188516

Price per metre presumably.

i believe the 500 hundred strand would have a lower impedance compared to the 79 strand hence should work / sound differently as a result ?

looking at the pic of the 500 strand cable i'm guessing that it costs at the most £5 per m ?

(i would expect these cables to be included in the cost of a system purchase or given away free).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts