Thoughts on new Bose Cinemate GS?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All, Just seen that they released the BOSE Cinemate GS - I quite like the idea of this as it doesnt need a receiver and it plugs straight into the TV. Its £799 which seems a bit pricey but Its meant to me simmilar to the 3-2-1 system but with out DVD player. Has anyone at team What HI-Fi has a listen to it at all? I was toying with getting a sound bar but my local shop said the Bose would be better than a sound bar as it throws sound better. Any thoughts. I dont have much space which is why I like the idea of this.

It doesn't appear to decode all audio formats. I'm not sure if it's got an HDMI port or not.

Bose is generally considered to be expensive for what it offers, with rubbish mid-range. Although, I don't think there are many speakers of the size as Jewel cubes which sound as good as Bose.

So, if size is your main consideration, go for Bose. But if you want better quality speakers for less, look elsewhere. That's my opinion.

idc

And in the Bose corner, their stuff sounds typically American with an emphasis on the lower midrange to bass and strong dynamics. I have not heard a Bose cinema system, but it would be top of my list as I imagine the house sound would be ideal for films, particularly if you like Alien Vs Predator type stuff. The Sounddock, headphones, Lifestyle and cube speakers I have heard have all had that trademark sound. It is to my tastes, but obviously not all. Since Bose is a bit of a 'marmite' brand it is one to try and audition IMO.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Guy's will try and audition in the shop 1st and wait for more reviews.

I also have the sound dock and companion computer speakers and the noise cancelling headphones and find them all amazing hence me considering these.

I've not done any serious research but if you can reccomend any other 2.1's I'd be gratefull. I I did look at a soundbar but didn't find to many good reviews.

idc

Last night on the Gadget Show the under £100 Bose Onear headphones came second to the Denon AH 5000 at £400 in a test of thirty headphones with a Radio1 DJ. Bose make great hifi.

rfullarton

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
i see on amazon.com it is $799 ! so can u get one from the states

i am also looking for a fake surround solution for a small room, my issue is that wall on the right of the tv is 1 m away and the wall on the left hand side 6 ms away

therefore i assume the surround sounds wont work too well

did anyone look at philips surround sound one speaker solution, i cant remember its number but it was a circular speaker ? thanks

Petherick

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Didn't see the programme, but are you really expecting us to be impressed that a Radio 1 DJ liked some headphones?

But I do think it's a good idea that R1 listeners wear headphones (of the closed variety)!

A

Anonymous

Havent got round to listening to these yet but still fancy them. Just wondered if anyone else has heard them yet or if the What HiFI team has heard them?

Also I read the requirements on bose website and it says woofer has to be 3 feet away due to interference. My TV and players etc are in an alcove so I wouldn't be able to keep woofer 3 ft way. Are they saying this to cover themselves or can it be a problem?

idc

Had an audition yesterday with the Cinemate against the Yamaha YSP30D and the Bose won hands down. It had far more life, depth and power to the sound. I was very disappointed by the Yamaha. The Cinemate version II now has a tone control for the accoustimas bass unit and a frame (£60 option) so you can attach the Array speakers either side of the TV.

For both music and film we were impressed and it fit into our living room with little compromise. It is a huge improvement from the Sony TV speakers, again depth to the sound being excellent. The surround part is not huge, well its not really surround and when we had a listen to the 5.1 surround setup the difference was clear.

For £610 including the frame compared to alternatives such as the Yamaha it is not bad. I will try and have a listen to the Q Accoustics Q-TV, since at £300 it is half the price. But it also needs to be pretty special to wean us away from the Bose.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts