Thorens TD 160 A

cheyworth

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I am going to collect a Thorens TD160 A turntable tomorrow (no idea on condition but is free) i can not find any info on the web about it.

Was it/is it any good?

Will it be better than my Project if it works ok?

Chris

A

Anonymous

The 160 family is very good indeed. If yours is in good condition and has an appropriate cartridge it should out-perform the Pro-ject Debut comfortably.

T

the record spot

I'll second that - depending on condition of course - but like for like, the T160 will do the honours and leave the Debut 3 standing.

Have a look at the VinylEngine site for all manner of things turntabley - there'll be plenty of info on the forums there and there'll likewise be a guru or two who can help you out when it comes to upgrades, etc. or maintenance if your deck needs it.

cheyworth

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I will be collecting it at 11am so when i get home will post some picks.

***Update i have collected, it has not been used in the last 10-15 years but looks in very good condition (packaged well) it has an ortofon m15e super which looks OK.***

Chris

cheyworth

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Untitled-1copy.jpg

cheyworth

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Cost a whole 20miles in driving! and when the bloke has sorted his loft out there may be more!

I think the cartridge has seen better days (sounds ok) can anyone recommend a better one?

Chris

T

the record spot

You could easily look at something like the Goldring 1042GX (about £160-odd) which has a lovely sound apparently, then there's the Denon DL110 - £70 well spent there - or for a more punchy and in yer face sound, the Audio Technica AT440MLa which is the one I use. Very good cartridge and my personal fave for around £90.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
cheyworth:
Cost a whole 20miles in driving! and when the bloke has sorted his loft out there may be more!

I think the cartridge has seen better days (sounds ok) can anyone recommend a better one?

Chris

Shure M97XE (£99) or Audio Technica AT-440MLa.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
cheyworth:Cost a whole 20miles in driving! and when the bloke has sorted his loft out there may be more!
...does he need a hand? I'm free on Wednesdays
emotion-2.gif

I would go for the AT440ML I would say...obv considering what you paid, if you want to improve it on a budget, then the AT-95E is a great little cart for around £20...

cheyworth

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Well I have just got a 2M RED and put it on.

First problem I had was that the screws on the original are underneath. I had to remove the extra mounting plate to give access from the top, problem solved.

Next i had all setup and turned on and only had sound from the left channel! I cleaned the cartridge head cables and now all works!

The sound is instantly better more punch and attack, sound staging and best of all a large amount of rumble has gone!

Fantastic!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts