This is such a stupid question...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
... even by my moronic standards.

Well, you know I have a set of speaker cables with banana plugs at one end (amp). Is it best to have the terminals screwed up tight or loose? :poke:

(Never used plugs of any sort)

Mechanically and electrically it makes no difference. The banana plugs are a friction fit (and have sprung contacts for a firm connection). Tightening or loosening the captive plastic (or metal) screw-down part of the terminal only tightens loose cable. No affect at all on banana plugs.

I just keep them tight for neatness. I suppose, at best, it keeps dust off the base of the terminal posts.

mikeparker59

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Mine are screwed up tight at least that way the banana can go in as far as possible :oops: and minimises the risk of shorting out the speaker contacts if there are any stray cable strands around, though that is more down to my OCD than anything else!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Is this a serious q PP

Can't believe I am reading this if it is LOL

PS have you decided to sell on that grey box yet for a nice black thing that plays 12" black discs

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Is it best to have the terminals screwed up tight or loose?

Guess it depends whether you're going to be playing music loud enough to get the untightened terminal screw-downs rattling and buzzing in time with the bass, which can be distracting.

stevebrock said:
Is this a serious q PP

Can't believe I am reading this if it is LOL

PS have you decided to sell on that grey box yet for a nice black thing that plays 12" black discs

Yes it is a school boy question, but I've genuinely never used plugs (30-odd years of hi-fi)

Not decided which TT yet. Too busy.

Before you start telling me to stop faffing around, may I remind you about your speaker upgrade. You faffed to gawd knows how long, dismissing Neats along the way... tut tut. Sadly I don't have a motorbike to sell.

stevebrock said:
You know what I reckon the neats would sound wicked in my new room !!

Being more pragmatic, I'd keep the Rega RP6 and get better speakers. I'm sure the RS3 are great improvement with the Brio-R but the Elicit-R deserves even better monitors. Won't go wrong with Totem Arros. Hear them and you'll understand why I rave about them. In addition WHFI loves the Rainmakers with your amp, can't see the apple cart being upset with the dinky Arros. IMO they really make a good attempt at defying the laws of physics.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I know the totem arros is a beautiful speaker - I think Rega speakers do get some unfair press - at the minute my amp & speaker combo is nicely balanced and well matched - I do agree with you though that my amp needs a better speaker, but as you know speakers are very difficult to choose and I wouldn't take the task without demoing at home as this is the only way, Btw I have an Aria here at the moment on demo - I didn't ask it was literally forced upon me from the same establishment as my amp purchase. Funny they are a totem dealer - mmmm I wouldn't mind bagging a demo of the Arros.

stevebrock said:
I know the totem arros is a beautiful speaker - I think Rega speakers do get some unfair press - at the minute my amp & speaker combo is nicely balanced and well matched - I do agree with you though that my amp needs a better speaker, but as you know speakers are very difficult to choose and I wouldn't take the task without demoing at home as this is the only way, Btw I have an Aria here at the moment on demo - I didn't ask it was literally forced upon me from the same establishment as my amp purchase. Funny they are a totem dealer - mmmm I wouldn't mind bagging a demo of the Arros.

I know Rega speakers come with a high reputation. Just really trying point out that if I had your set-up I would look at the speakers - NOT as a weak link - but could be easily improved with a bit of extra money. If you're serious about a Gyro, which cost, brand new with arm and cart, between £1400-£1600, I would think *perhaps* speakers are the logical next step.

if that dealer stocks Totem, blag a pair of Arros. Nothing to lose. If you don't like them then I'll have egg on my chops.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Sorry fella the Dino has long gone....was a big step up over the Brio R phono but the Elicit R is a different proposition with the 10x5 and the Dino bought nothing to the party. The Aria seriously is nice but I feel my cash would be better spent on my source or speakers (thanks pp), the Aria is only on demo

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts