Third party modifications

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Whilst browsing e-bay I came across these guys - http://www.audiocom-uk.com/index.asp

They offer mods to your hifi kit. Does anyone have any experience or opinions on upgrading kit through a third party?

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Septicman:
Whilst browsing e-bay I came across these guys - http://www.audiocom-uk.com/index.asp

They offer mods to your hifi kit. Does anyone have any experience or opinions on upgrading kit through a third party?

Cheers

I looked at the website and most of the modifications are laughable. Avoid.

A

Anonymous

Russ Andrew did them years ago and I had my Meridian 207 done by him.
Couldn't believe the difference it made. There are some people doing /suppling mods. Have a look here, I use many of the same components myself on my gear.

www.acoustica.org.uk

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
I'd be interested to know just how they improve the Wadia IPod docks bit perfect digital out. Is the Wadia bit perfect in stock form or not? If they upsampled I might believe them though.

They can over engineer the power supply all they want. It may last longer before it packs up but it won't sound better. Improvements to the analogue out I'd believe.

So who is selling the snake oil Wadia in claiming bitperfect output or the folk who aim to improve it? Am I missing something?

A

Anonymous

Yep, missing lots.

It's not my job to teach you, but suggest you start learning by researching and reading up on the Internet and acquiring some understanding on better quality components which are seldom found in even high end equipment.

Would you buy a car that was designed around a 1960's model rather than influenced by the technology behind formula 1?

Well that's the point you are at!

Improvement potential - MASSIVE :)

A

Anonymous

I had my Quad 405 power amp rebuilt by David Pritchard (Netaudio) to his MK3 dual mono spec. I later changed to the BB OP627 op amps. The difference in quality is staggering, even when I changed the op amps myself. The amp is now an entirely different beast and sounds neutral, clean, open, punchy, deep and detailed. I didn't much like the 405 in it's original state, even after a full service by Quad. It sounded glassy (op amp changes help this), lacked detail and depth. David Pritchard basically re-implemented the Quad current dumping design with much better components.

The problem with upgrades is the leap of faith you have to take in hoping that a) your kit comes back working, b) the work was done well and no mistakes have been made, c) it actually makes it sound better. My leap has paid off but I wasn't sure when I was doing it!!

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
I'm not doubting that better components can be employed, and can make a big difference for most units. It's just the improving on bit perfection that gets me. Maybe I should go read more on the Wadia. Ipod technology is irrelevant to me so I've not looked into it deeply.

A

Anonymous

No, you may not be missing lots, it depends on the manufacturer, component, design goals etc. I for one wouldn't take a soldering iron to Naim kit, nor change the crossovers in the B&W Nautilus range. It's also extremely hard to buy gear on what it may sound like as opposed to what it actually does at the moment.

Yes, of course you can upgrade components, but you can also spend more on the gear to begin with. It is, as Igglebert says, a leap of faith.

Also, Formula one hasn't given much to automotive technology at all recently, as in the last thirty years or more. That's just a myth to justify its existence as a "sport," rather than the fast moving traffic it really is. The peripherique at rush hour is far more exciting to watch, and has the benefit that you, too, can participate. I'd put in a smiley meaning tongue in cheek here, but don't know which one it is.

A

Anonymous

Definite improvements to Naim kit can be made, but the B&W Nautilus range is excellent with Clarity Caps SA fitted as standard in the crossover units.
There are some better than that but they cost another 500% more!

Custom crossover units in speakers is one area where outstanding results can be achieved in a very cost effective way on most ranges.

I have not seen any amps regardless of cost which aren't filled with budget components. Amp design is not rocket science by any means, but it amazes me the poor value for money most offer for a box filled with cheap as chips components.

Onkyo turned the world upside down when they brought to market at the price point high end full class A design AV amps.

How they did it for the money I am still trying to figure out!

idc

I am very tempted to try the upgrades available to the Music Fidelity XcanV2 either by Music Fidelity themselves or by Rock Grotto. The Music Fidelity upgrade is £169 and the Rock Grotto various prices starting at £30 and then the cost of someone who knows what they are doing with a soldering iron as I don't!

A

Anonymous

I must say that the best mod for the MF stuff, is to make the power supply that is shownn on the rock grotto site.

I had a X10-D and made the supply, worked a treat! It is meant to make more of a difference to the Xcan that the item I had.

It is not hard to make either.

A

Anonymous

Hi, there was a section on there I think on making your own power supply. If they have taken it off, look for X can etc power supplys on the net.

I made my own using a novotem toroidal transformer as the main gubbings. You can buy them from RS or Farnell.

There is a website which the name comes up when you do a google serch, and it even lists the numbers from each manufacturer to make the poer supply.

Have a search and you should find it. It makes a big difference, and cost me about £30 (well I added it to the company account so cost me zip!).

You can buy a chassis for the build from the same shops and it doesn't take a genius to wire it, as the instructions are in the build plans as well.

Hope this helps. Phil

idc

Thanks Phil. Yes there are two PSU builds on the site, but whilst they say it is simple I 'do not know one end of a soldering iron from another' to quote them! By the time I buy the tools I am getting close to just buying one ready made. Very tempted by the recommended replacement wall wart PSUs, one of which is less than £10 delivered as a starter.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts