The wireless misnomer

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Fred_Barker

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
chebby said:
When I was a kid - and long before - 'the wireless' was a term most often used for a large table top radio or the radio portion of a radiogram. (Small radios were called 'transistors' or 'trannies'.)

When I were knee high to a grasshopper - me dad used to get 'The Light Program' on the 'Cats Whisker' and we all sat round the fire watching the patterns change in the anthracite...

As for 'trannies' - they were something different all together, according my uncle who saw active service in Thialand...

Fred_Barker

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I can't find these speakers mentioned anywhere else, including on the focal website. Am I right to think the source of WHF's story is Clare's company? If so, can WHF and/or Clare confirm whether these are active or powered?

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
There is a bit more detail in the original announcement from CES:

http://www.whathifi.com/news/ces-2013-focal-launches-wireless-sub-air-subwoofer-will-expand-range-to-include-more-speak-airs

Though even that one doesn't really specify whether it is one amp per speaker totalling 80 watts or two amps totalling 80 watts.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Ajani. ' the speakers will use two 13cm woofers and a tweeter, powered by 80W of internal digital amplification.' This does not sound promising to me. Given all the licensing costs maybe it was too much to expect active speakers at this price point, but if these really are only powered speakers it is disappointing that Clare has been plugging them as active :cry:

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
John Duncan said:
BenLaw said:
I can't find these speakers mentioned anywhere else, including on the focal website. Am I right to think the source of WHF's story is Clare's company? If so, can WHF and/or Clare confirm whether these are active or powered?

No, you're not right.

Feel free to expand. And indeed indicate your source, given you don't work for WHF.

Computers unlimited, for whom Clare is group PR manager, list them as one of 'their' brands: http://www.unlimited.com/cu/pages/GB/digitalhome/index.jsp

I've seen Clare post about these speakers a few times and this seems to be a WHF exclusive. Given Clare's current and former position you may see my line of reasoning.

Either way, Clare should be in a position to clarify, so I look forward to some more info.

John Duncan

John Duncan said:
BenLaw said:

No, you're not right.

No, you ARE right, and I'm wrong. I mistakenly thought she said "not one of ours!" when she talked about them. But she didn't, and the company's website lists them as a brand here :)

John Duncan

BenLaw said:
John Duncan said:
BenLaw said:

No, you're not right.

Feel free to expand. And indeed indicate your source, given you don't work for WHF.

Computers unlimited, for whom Clare is group PR manager, list them as one of 'their' brands: http://www.unlimited.com/cu/pages/GB/digitalhome/index.jsp

I've seen Clare post about these speakers a few times and this seems to be a WHF exclusive.

Given Clare's current and former position you may see my line of reasoning.

Either way, Clare should be in a position to clarify, so I look forward to some more info.

Posts crossed, but I protect my sources anyway...

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Thanks Ajani. ' the speakers will use two 13cm woofers and a tweeter, powered by 80W of internal digital amplification.' This does not sound promising to me. Given all the licensing costs maybe it was too much to expect active speakers at this price point, but if these really are only powered speakers it is disappointing that Clare has been plugging them as active :cry:

Ben

"..floor standing active wireless speakers.." ! Sounds like an active X'over but we'll have to wait to have this confirmed or not. Have you also taken down your "Wish you were here" cover poster from your listening room? ;)

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
John Duncan said:
BenLaw said:
John Duncan said:
BenLaw said:

No, you're not right.

I've seen Clare post about these speakers a few times and this seems to be a WHF exclusive. Given Clare's current and former position you may see my line of reasoning.

Posts crossed, but I protect my sources anyway...

9 minutes of crossage but fair enough. Source point irrelevant as what you posted first a misunderstanding. Again, look forward to the info re whether this is really active or powered. Will be disappointed if not active as promised, tho it will still be a neat lifestyle product and obviously may well still sound excellent.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
busb said:
BenLaw said:

Ben

"..floor standing active wireless speakers.." ! Sounds like an active X'over but we'll have to wait to have this confirmed or not. Have you also taken down your "Wish you were here" cover poster from your listening room? ;)

If 'active' has been used properly by Clare and WHF (who may simply be repeating info from Clare / her employer company) then yes it will have an active crossover. But given the one amp point and the content of Ajani's link I now have my doubts. Obviously we need clarification from those in the know.

Haha, no the panel is still up in my room. I actually tried to change my avatar about a week ago and didn't think it had worked, so a bit weird to see it change today. I just thought given I don't have the golden ears of all these people who can tell differences in USB cables and the like I'd be out and proud! :)

John Duncan

BenLaw said:
9 minutes of crossage

You'll find as your child(ren) get( s ) older that sometimes things become more important than finishing posts on internet forums. In this case, the finer points of the mechanism for choosing tributes in the second Hunger Games book.

You'll also find that this **** matters less.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
John Duncan said:
BenLaw said:
9 minutes of crossage

You'll find as your child(ren) get( s ) older that sometimes things become more important than finishing posts on internet forums. In this case, the finer points of the mechanism for choosing tributes in the second Hunger Games book.

You'll also find that this **** matters less.

:grin: Just the one child at the moment, but yes this has already happened to me, so fair enough :) Presumably that's you reading the hunger games and having the finer points explained to you? ;)

Btw I think it matters very little but it is diverting (especially when you realise you've rented the wrong version of last house on the left :doh: )

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I only saw a prototype pair of the Focals on Tuesday - same time WHF did, at a multi-brand event where they were showing concepts to dealers. Haven't got specs or even a fully confirmed name yet - remember, these aren't due until September. As noted earlier in thread, Focal has plenty of active experience on pro side - and powered on consumer side - so have proven tech to pick from. I will see what France are willing to share at this stage

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
I only saw a prototype pair of the Focals on Tuesday - same time WHF did, at a multi-brand event where they were showing concepts to dealers. Haven't got specs or even a fully confirmed name yet - remember, these aren't due until September. As noted earlier in thread, Focal has plenty of active experience on pro side - and powered on consumer side - so have proven tech to pick from. I will see what France are willing to share at this stage

Clare, I had been hoping that we would see more Focal / Naim joint products since Focal bought Naim. Has there been any indication that any of the Naim amplifier knowhow is feeding into Focal active products yet?

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:

Thanks for the extra info :) So does the use of the word active come from focal or someone else's interpretation?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
andyjm said:
Clare Newsome said:

Clare, I had been hoping that we would see more Focal / Naim joint products since Focal bought Naim. Has there been any indication that any of the Naim amplifier knowhow is feeding into Focal active products yet?

As stated when the companies merged - heck, i even wrote a blog on it back then! - shared R&D on major products is a big part of the companies' co-existence. But they still very much have their own independent product teams, own R&D projects etc.

Anyway, enough from me. I'm feeling uncomfortable re House Rules - i'd rather get the WHF team the facts and they can report as seen fit!

France coming back to me with more info on the EASYA/EASIA speakers, which - to also answer Ben Law's question - they are describing as active at this stage.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Hi Clare, thanks for your input (and apologies to everyone for not responding sooner, but the magazine has been on press deadline). As I was the one at the trade event on Tuesday, it was me who wrote the story. I'm happy to update with any clarification if you get more from Focal in France.

trj007

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
nopiano said:
Fred_Barker said:
When I were knee high to a grasshopper - me dad used to get 'The Light Program' on the 'Cats Whisker' and we all sat round the fire watching the patterns change in the anthracite...

But in those days, Fred, it was 'programme'. No-one had invented programs then! ;)

Who let the bloody septics get involved with spelling? I demand an enquiry or summat!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts