The WHF Film Club

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BenLaw said:
So, how are HFO, JD and Mike getting on with the film?

It looks like Outlaw was watching it the other night, so just JD and Mike to go.

I'm very keen to find out what people thought of the film over the weekend, as I'm working away again next week, and no WiFi where I'm staying. I've got the phone, but it's a bit fiddly writing with it.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm hoping to make time to watch the film this weekend.

Things were looking promising, with rain forcast for Saturday and Sunday, so a few hours spent indoors watching films, was predicted.

Unfortunately the weather forcast seems to be improving a bit, with less rain forcast, so less excuse to be indoors. 8)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

How about tonight Mike?

Surely the sun doesn't shine 24 hours a day in France.
smile.png

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
i've just tried to set up a Lovefilm account, so that I can watch the film - but unfortunately Lovefilm.com will not let people from outside the UK register. How has everyone else watched the film? I see a reference to Youtube, but are there other film streaming services that the other members use? :wall:

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I already owned the film on DVD, Ben rented it from Lovefilm, and I think JD and Strapped bought the DVD, not sure about Oiutlaw.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I've just watched the russian dubbed version on youtube - so I now know the storyline. But I will look out for an english version to buy, to maybe help me understand the plot a bit better.
smiley-smile.gif

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I know it's proving a bit tricky, but the best version is the original Japanese language with English subs.

I've had a little look, and the dvd isn't cheap anywhere in the uk.

Is there no dvd rental services in France?

No Lovefilm/Netflix in France?

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

sorry for being away this all week, but my professional live is a chaos and until the end of the month my spare time will be reduced to almost none...

I don't want to leave the film club but i don't want to delay thing here as well... :oops:

I do have the DVD and try to see it until friday guys... :roll:

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Don't worry, Ex-pat hasn't seen it yet, and I'm not sure if JD has, so Friday will be fine.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Nice one JD. Just Mike and Outlaw to go.

I'm watching Girl With The Dragon Tattoo on Film4 at the moment. Now that is a great film.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I think we're waiting for Lovefilm to start up in France, and a rainy day.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I have just read a review of the film, and I realise that watching it in russian, has not been an inpediment in understanding the plotline - there are enough clues in the body language to understand most of incidents.

Consequently given that we are short of time, and buying the DVD from the uk will be expensive, I will have to admit defeat on watching this first film in english - however I still feel that I have absorbed enough of the film, to contribute to the discussion.

I also now realise that I will have to start sourcing next months films on day 1, to leave me in with a chance of obtaining a viewing.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I would suggest taking JD up on his kind offer, as you will certainly miss a lot of the humour without the English subtitles. Outlaw hasn't watched it yet, so another week won't be the end of the world.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Were there no subtitle options, expat_mike? Apart from Vinnie's contributions, the film isn't in English, unless there's a dubbed version floating around.

I'd suggest that watching a dubbed version of any film wouldn't be in the spirit of film club, if not in outright breach of rules!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts