The WHF Film Club

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

So we just need some rainy days in France, and the French postal service to be quick and efficient.
rolleyes.gif

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
So we just need some rainy days in France, and the French postal service to be quick and efficient.
rolleyes.gif

I'm not sure if you're praising the French weather or decrying the French postal service.

Of course we have dreadful weather and a fairly awful postal service, which may become truly atrocious in the not too distant future.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

strapped for cash said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
rolleyes.gif

I'm not sure if you're praising the French weather or decrying the French postal service.

Both, but especially the French postal service.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

strapped for cash said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
especially the French postal service.

I sense there's a story behind this.

Not really, well not an amusing one anyway. I think most of the stuff we have sold on ebay to people in France has either taken an age to arrive, or disappeared. It may well have improved over recent times, but I'm inclined to think it probably hasn't.

Let's hope expat_mike gets the dvd soon.
pray.gif

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:

I'm being unreasonable, but I dislike acronyms, especially when they creep into essays. Occasionally they're accepted shorthand, but more often feel like text-speak in what should be an example of formal writing. (I really shouldn't subject forum contributions posted by mobile phone to the same scrutiny.)

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Any sign? Sent airmail on Thursday.

Thanks JD. :)

No sign of it yet, but maybe Monday is more realistic. Like most French houses, I have a letter box at the end of the drive, so the postie usually opens it with the master key, and puts small parcels inside. No need to be at home for the delivery.

If it arrives early in the week, I will watch it as soon as it arrives. We have had a reorganisation at work, so we are off to a hotel for a "Team Booster" on Thursday and Friday, so those two days will have no free time, leaving next weekend as the fallback opportunity to watch the film.

Regarding the weather, Friday was the first good day's rain for a few weeks - it did feel like the first of the Autumn storms. The long hot days of Summer are just a memory now, and something to look forward to next year.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

strapped for cash said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
most of the stuff we have sold on ebay to people in France has either taken an age to arrive, or disappeared.

Are you sure the French are to blame?

I'm quite prepared to say "Non" if the film gets to Mike by Wednesday.
smile.png

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
BBB,

My experience is that ordinary letters from the UK can take 3 weeks to arrive.

When I first arrived in France, my weekly copy of New Scientist would usually arrive 3 weeks after the publication date, but now it's usually only 1 week out of date. Not too bad, considering that the mail goes through a central hub, in I think Belgium.

Also some delivery problems are not the fault of the French Postal Service - it's usually the parcel couriers. Several times, courier firms have had to take 3 attempts to find my house, because their satnav tells them that my house is located on a different completely different road. When they point this out to me, I can tell from their body language that they think I am a confused rosbif - I just stand my ground, and tell them that their satnav data is wrong.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
BenLaw said:

I'm being unreasonable, but I dislike acronyms, especially when they creep into essays. Occasionally they're accepted shorthand, but more often feel like text-speak in what should be an example of formal writing. (I really shouldn't subject forum contributions posted by mobile phone to the same scrutiny.)

You really shouldn't ;) Actually, I see part of the fun of a forum as the use of occasional abbreviations such as I used (acronyms not really being the right descirption for OOI or IMO). Over use is obviously to be avoided and I recognise that they can be somewhat exclusionary. In this instance, I had written the sentence without OOI but thought it sounded a little demanding and perhaps critical of Mike (who is subject to the vagaries of two postal services), so wanted to soften the tone a little.

This is a rare post on a computer, waffly isn't it?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
I see part of the fun of a forum as the use of occasional abbreviations such as I used (acronyms not really being the right descirption for OOI or IMO).

Technically, an acronym is a shortened name or phrase formed from the initial letters of each successive word, so OOI and IMO still count, whereas dept (rather than department) is an abbreviation. At least that's my understanding of the distinction. (I feel like an **** as I type this.)

BenLaw said:
This is a rare post on a computer, waffly isn't it?

As author of some of the longest posts in WHF forum history, I'm hardly one to lecture on brevity.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acronym

Nb the difference between an initialisation and an acronym, some debate whether word / phrase. I only mention as someone pulled me up on this forum for using acronym the way you have done. I did a bit of reading and the better definition does indeed seem to be something that can be said as a word, so OOI would be difficult, although I suppose some people may say IMO as 'emo'.

FWIW (titter, guffaw) I never use acronyms / initialisations when texting, can't stand it and predictive text on a smart phone lends itself better to proper words.

This post on a phone, waffly wasn't it?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acronym

Nb the difference between an initialisation and an acronym, some debate whether word / phrase. I only mention as someone pulled me up on this forum for using acronym the way you have done. I did a bit of reading and the better definition does indeed seem to be something that can be said as a word, so OOI would be difficult, although I suppose some people may say IMO as 'emo'.

The really difficult aspect is that "nym" of course means name (if we're thinking about the derivation). This would suggest that acronym can only refer to an organisation, such as NATO. However, synonym, antonym, and homonym have broader utility.

I'm not sure initialisation is a word (even an Americanism), though if it is included in any dictionary, it's arguably a synonym for acronym. Make of that what you will. I think on this one we can both stake a claim to offering a valid definition.*

Truce?

* of "acronym," that is.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
FWIW (titter, guffaw) I never use acronyms / initialisations when texting, can't stand it and predictive text on a smart phone lends itself better to proper words.

This post on a phone, waffly wasn't it?

I don't know what to say about this last bit... :O

Incidentally, what happened to the thread title?

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
The thread title has been edited.

If you mean the post titles, from time to time they seem to replicate the first few words of a post, I've not quite worked out the pattern yet.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I'm chomping at the bit to find out what you lot thought of SS5+, and also get on to your recommendations Ben.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS