The WHF Film Club

Page 54 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Hi-FiOutlaw said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
HFO

Without discussing any details of the film, did you like it?

just saw 15min of it... :roll: had to do some wife helping on domestic work...

There's always tonight , tomorrow and Sunday.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Some cheap copies of Delicatessen for anyone who needs one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B0000634BZ/ref=sr_1_2_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1393706325&sr=8-2&keywords=delicatessen&condition=used

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Watched Pans Labyrinth.

As brilliant as I remember.

Going to to watch last 3 episodes of The Tunnel tomorrow, so I'll do Delicatessen in the week.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
I watched the Mark Gatiss horror thing in a few chunks over the last week, nothing terribly groundbreaking but he's a compelling presenter and has plenty of enthusiasm for the subject. Added a few films to watch as a result and have ordered (due to limited lovefilm availability and because it has a region free blu ray release) The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue, looks like it has a few places I know well on it!

While there were few revelations, I'm now keen to watch certain films again, Eyes Without a Face especially.

I've never seen The Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue. You'll have to let me know what you think.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
BenLaw said:
I watched the Mark Gatiss horror thing in a few chunks over the last week, nothing terribly groundbreaking but he's a compelling presenter and has plenty of enthusiasm for the subject. Added a few films to watch as a result and have ordered (due to limited lovefilm availability and because it has a region free blu ray release) The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue, looks like it has a few places I know well on it!

While there were few revelations, I'm now keen to watch certain films again, Eyes Without a Face especially.

I've never seen The Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue. You'll have to let me know what you think.

Whilst lovefilm lists Eyes Without a Face I can't seem to add it to my list properly. Is it worth buying?

I will report back re Manchester Morgue, it has been dispatched from the US. From the brief clip it seemed to me that a key scene was set by the stepping stones at Dovedale / Thorpe Cloud, which particularly interested me. It also sounded like it had some interesting / early ideas on the 'cause' of zombies and their individual portrayal. We'll see.

I remembered a question from MD. What is your rationale of the portrayal in the fantasy part of the film of the main character's death? IIRC we see the (decaying?) body where it really ends up, in the correct house.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Whilst lovefilm lists Eyes Without a Face I can't seem to add it to my list properly. Is it worth buying?

Yes! However, there's no Region 2 BD release with an English subtitle option. (Criterion only, I'm afraid; and yet another reason to mod my CA.)

BenLaw said:
I will report back re Manchester Morgue, it has been dispatched from the US. From the brief clip it seemed to me that a key scene was set by the stepping stones at Dovedale / Thorpe Cloud, which particularly interested me. It also sounded like it had some interesting / early ideas on the 'cause' of zombies and their individual portrayal. We'll see.

I rarely buy BD releases of films I haven't seen, as I often regret the purchase. LoveFilm or an equivalent is the probably the answer.

BenLaw said:
I remembered a question from MD. What is your rationale of the portrayal in the fantasy part of the film of the main character's death? IIRC we see the (decaying?) body where it really ends up, in the correct house.

I think this scene can be read in two ways, or both simultaneously.

1. As a premonition of Diane's death. As you say, Diane commits suicide in the same bed; and the scene is perhaps evidence of Diane's suicidal ideation. (Notably, Diane is in the same foetal position when waking from her dream.)

2. As evidence of Diane's guilt. In Diane's dream, the apartment is identified as Rita's (read Camilla's) home.

I like the idea that these thoughts become muddled in Diane's dream.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
As an addendum to point #1, it's not necessary to understand this as a literal premonition, though such interpretation is possible.

I'm content to read the scene as evidence that Diane is preoccupied with ending her life.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
richardw42 said:
Before I watch Delicatessen.

Im going to work through the Pans Labyrinth extras disc and maybe re watch with commentary.

I watched PL last night. I think it must rate as my most enjoyable film out of the first six months selections.

My copy only has a disc 1, but I think the menu did mention the Director commentary - so I may watch it again.

That only leaves sourcing Delicatessen to sort out. BBBs link a few posts ago looks interesting, if I can find a vendor who will deliver to France.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

expat_mike said:
BenLaw said:
Am I the only one holding up discussion on PL?

Don't tempt fate - BBB will send you to the naughty step. :rofl:

iI'll be joining him if I do, I haven't watched it either. :oops:

But once Ben has watched it, feel free to start discussing it, as I have seen it before, and I'm away from home until Friday, so definitely can't watch it until then.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I've also watched it before, so will similarly hold off until later in the week / the weekend.

Hoping delicatessen will be genuinely available at lovefilm. Then I guess it's my turn to nominate?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BenLaw said:
Hoping delicatessen will be genuinely available at lovefilm.

There's some cheap used copies available via Amazon if you can't get it through Lovefilm Ben.

BenLaw said:
Then I guess it's my turn to nominate?

I think so; looking forward to the choices.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BenLaw said:
I think I know two of my choices (both English language as it happens),

Really? Think I'll try to confuse myself by putting the Spanish subtitles on. :)

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Last time I looked. Delicatessen was on love film Instant (Amazon Instant Prime).

Re. Pans Labyrinth. Id urge everyone to view the extras on disc 2 if they can. Lots of really good info on there from Guillermo Del Toro.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
To ALL "The WHF fim Club" members:

i'm leaving the club and the forum as a poster, I THANKS All of you for the great time i had in the Club and all the great movies i've seen from your proposals, and all the films i've to watch to propose myself!

I always felt welcome in the Club and will come to the forum from time to time, if there is a thread that I can post will be this one!

Thanks again to you ALL!!!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Hi-FiOutlaw said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
i'm leaving the club and the forum as a poster

Can I ask why HFO?

For personal reasons BBB, but most of all I spend to much time with the ipad on my lap connected to WHF forum...

Well, we'll miss you HFO, and just like Strapped, you're welcome back any time. Take care. :wave:

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:

i'm leaving the club and the forum as a poster, I THANKS All of you for the great time i had in the Club and all the great movies i've seen from your proposals, and all the films i've to watch to propose myself!

I always felt welcome in the Club and will come to the forum from time to time, if there is a thread that I can post will be this one!

What a shame. As with strapped, I'd encourage you to reconsider as you've been a popular and thoughtful member. If you are set on your decision then thanks for your kind words in this post and your contributions on the thread and hopefully you'll pop back in again soon.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:

That's a bit of a shock HFO. I shall be sad to see you leave, but you will always be welcome to post.

I wonder if one of SFCs film students is writing a script about us "the curse of the film club" - two founders are gone, who will be the next to disappear in mysterious circumstances? :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS