The WHF Film Club

Page 53 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Don't know if you guys have finished discussing Mulholland Drive, but in my copy was a leaflet entitled "David Lynch's 10 clues to unlocking this thriller.

Number 1 is, Pay particular attention to the beginning of the film : at least two clues are revealedbefore the credits.

I'll post the rest if you're interested.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

richardw42 said:
Don't know if you guys have finished discussing Mulholland Drive, but in my copy was a leaflet entitled "David Lynch's 10 clues to unlocking this thriller.

My copy has that too, though I failed to notice it before watching the film.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
expat_mike said:
I thought that I had understood only a small part of the film after 1 viewing, and then I read these "clues" and realised that my interpretations of sections of the film were completely different - so roughly zilch understood after 1 viewing.

http://www.mulholland-drive.net/studies/10clues.htm

Lynch's "10 clues" are really not that helpful.

Lynch is notorious for dodging questions on how to best interpret his films.

Reading Chris Rodley's Lynch on Lynch will give you a good sense of how evasive the director gets.

I think it will be helpful to point out that I mentioned the 10 clues (on a website) on page 80, but SFC was pretty dismissive of them, as an aid to understanding the film. :wave:

Based on that, it is up to you whether you spend a lot of time using them to "understand" the film.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

expat_mike said:
I think it will be helpful to point out that I mentioned the 10 clues (on a website) on page 80, but SFC was pretty dismissive of them, as an aid to understanding the film. :wave:

Based on that, it is up to you whether you spend a lot of time using them to "understand" the film.

Oh yeah.

My new centre speaker arrives tomorrow, so I'm going to watch Pan's Labyrinth, and forget all about Mulholland Drive, because my head's starting to hurt. :)

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Right, my point was that Lynch becomes very abstract when asked to explain his films.

I thought we were done discussing Mulholland Drive, since others had gone quiet on the subject.

Here's a link to the fansite Ben referenced, which includes an extended essay on the film (I'm sure Lynch's "10 clues" are on this website, too):

http://www.mulholland-drive.net/

As noted above, I disagree with some of the author's interpretations and feel he makes some speculative claims. However, as a guide to unlocking the narrative it's the most comprehensive resource online. I tried to write a more basic summary that departs from this reading at times. Those who enjoyed the film can perhaps revisit it at a later date, with the highlighted interpretations in mind.

Out of interest, Ben, what further questions were you considering?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I'm going to watch Pan's Labyrinth, and forget all about Mulholland Drive, because my head's starting to hurt.

My above post won't be welcomed, then!
smiley-smile.gif

For the record, I'm not storming back into film club discussion; though I'm taking a break this evening and thought I'd look in on the thread. I think Richard should rightly claim spot #6.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

strapped for cash said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I'm going to watch Pan's Labyrinth, and forget all about Mulholland Drive, because my head's starting to hurt.

smiley-smile.gif

For the record, I'm not storming back into film club discussion; though I'm taking a break this evening and thought I'd look in on the thread. I think Richard should rightly claim spot #6.

INTRUDER ALERT !!! INTRUDER ALERT !!! :grin:

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
strapped for cash said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

smiley-smile.gif

INTRUDER ALERT !!! INTRUDER ALERT !!! :grin:

:rofl:

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I just checked the thread to see if JD had OK'ed me joining. Don't worry, I'll still watch the films.

Ive just cancelled my Lovefilm by Post as I was inundated with discs to watch (switched to Amazon Instant Prime

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

richardw42 said:
Cheers

Pan's Labyrinth by the weekend.

I've seen it 3 or 4 times, but I will try to find time to watch it again this week.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

HFO

Without discussing any details of the film, did you like it?

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I own PL so will watch it shortly, it seems most have watched.

Strapped, I will get back to you with questions on MD, think I will have to re-read the thread to remember what they were!

I watched the Mark Gatiss horror thing in a few chunks over the last week, nothing terribly groundbreaking but he's a compelling presenter and has plenty of enthusiasm for the subject. Added a few films to watch as a result and have ordered (due to limited lovefilm availability and because it has a region free blu ray release) The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue, looks like it has a few places I know well on it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts