The WHF Film Club

Page 51 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I'm heading away for the rest of the weekend in a few hours (visiting family), so I perhaps won't get the chance to post until Monday.

I've obviously seen the film many times; and I can't read it in any other way. This could also mean I've become closed to alternative readings, or even variations on the themes discussed.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Oh, regarding the old couple, I see them as representative of different aspects of Diane's consciousness. Their overtly fake (uncanny) smiles in the dream section are contrasted with their frightening manifestation before Diane's suicide. In other words, in my view, they represent nothing more than Diane's transition from denial to terrifying confrontation with her past and guilt. (It's worth noting that the old couple are directly associated with the man behind Winkies, the holder of the blue box.)

Often in Lynch's films we're left with a feeling that defies pinpoint explanation. In my reading, I've only been specific when I feel there's sufficient evidence within the text (and within Lynch's canon more broadly).

John Duncan

strapped for cash said:
Given the silence on this thread, I'm guessing people either disagree with the interpretation, or I explained things so badly that film club members are wondering what the hell I was talking about.

No, I've scanned your discussion a couple of times but haven't yet had time to sit down and give a proper response. You've had me nodding a couple of times and it's explained a couple of things I didn't get, but I almost need to see the film again with that ^^ as a reference...

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
I was also struck by the Adam - cowboy meeting at the corral, what's going on there??

It's all part of Diane's perception of a conspiracy, whereby Camilla's success is attributed to corruption and "under the table dealings" (I use this phrase in all its ambiguity).

The Cowboy is associated in Diane's dream with the Castigliani brothers,* who force Adam to cast Camilla Rhodes in The Sylvia North Story.

Each of these characters has a real world equivalent at the engagement party toward the film's end, and are presumably executives or influential people within Hollywood.

(Notably, Camilla can't be Camilla in Diane's dream, because she has adopted the name Rita, taken from the Gilda movie poster. Melissa George therefore becomes Camilla's namesake during most of Diane's dream, most importantly when Adam is casting the lead.)

Hopefully that makes sense.

* One of whom is played by long-time Lynch collaborator and composer Angelo Badalamenti

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
One last thing, the final word of dialogue "silencio," spoken by the lady with blue hair, refers to repressed or "unspoken" truths. It's an extremely concise summary of Diane's story. At the same time, it's a bit Hamlet (i.e. "The rest is silence"), since Diane is now dead.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Sorry guys but this movie discussion is to much complex for my english, yes i do agree with the most of the oppinios of SFC, yes this is a very complex movie to coment even for my mother language, I'll be hovering in this discussion if thats OK with BBB.

I do have a interpretation for the colour "blue", it is some kind of wakening of Diana and facing the reality of all her live?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
The 'real' yale blue key obviously symbolises change from life to death.

The blue key the hitman shows to Diane helps us piece together the final half-hour's chronology. It's all about when the key appears on Diane's coffee table. When it's not there, Camilla is still alive. When the key is present, Diane has collected it from an agreed place, as a sign that the hit has been completed.

As you say, this blue key symbolises a transition from life to death, though I'd argue in reference to Camilla specifically.

BenLaw said:
That creature exists (according to the crazy guy) at a time between day and night, a half night, obviously with the colour blue.

Absolutely. The "half-night" line refers to a time between waking and sleeping hours, when conscious and unconscious activity most obviously overlap. The film's narrative exists at this overlap.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
I'll be hovering in this discussion if thats OK with BBB.

No worries. I'm almost entirely monolingual and would struggle to have even the most basic discussion on a non-English speaking forum.

You're doing a hell of a lot better than I would!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

My wife's cousin has arrived, and then we're off to Lisbon on Wednesday for 3-4 days, so I'll be out of the loop for a bit. Saying that, I think they'll be out all day tomorrow, so I'll see if I can add anything to the discussion tomorrow.

I'm also just about ready to propose my 3 films, 2 are definites, but I'm torn between 3 others for the final place.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
My wife's cousin has arrived, and then we're off to Lisbon on Wednesday for 3-4 days, so I'll be out of the loop for a bit. Saying that, I think they'll be out all day tomorrow, so I'll see if I can add anything to the discussion tomorrow.

I'm also just about ready to propose my 3 films, 2 are definites, but I'm torn between 3 others for the final place.

Will you be getting the "night train to Lisbon"...? ;)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Will you be getting the "night train to Lisbon"...? ;)

I do want to see that film sometime, but no, it's just by plane.

Are we all still ok to stay with you? ;)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I'm off to Lisbon early tomorrow to stay with HFO for a few days. :grin: ;)

So I'm going to propose my 3 films so we can all vote now, and be ready to watch the chosen film in March.

1. Dogtooth

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1379182/?ref_=nv_sr_1

2. Onibaba

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058430/?ref_=nv_sr_1

3. Delicatessen

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101700/?ref_=nv_sr_1

PS. Let's not forget to watch Mike's choice, Pan's Labyrinth before the end of the month. :)

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

So I'm going to propose my 3 films so we can all vote now, and be ready to watch the chosen film in March.

1. Dogtooth

2. Onibaba

3. Delicatessen

PS. Let's not forget to watch Mike's choice, Pan's Labyrinth before the end of the month. :)

Enjoy your trip BBB :)

I hope the weather in Lisbon is better than in Toulouse at the moment - it's raining and blowing a gale as well, so no fun being out. :cry:

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Thanks Mike. Lisbon's weather isn't looking great either, but atleast it's a bit warmer than here.

I've got to get up at 2am, and I'm not even close to sleepy, so I think I'll be going through the night now. :boohoo:

All three films are brilliant, but all very different from each other, so I'm not at all bothered which one gets chosen, and hopefully everyone will have voted by the time I get back on Saturday.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Interesting, good selection there BBB. I have seen Dogtooth before (it's excellent), could you give me a few words about the other two (both of which I like the sound of) as to why you've suggested them / what we'd get out of them? Thanks.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

1. Dogtooth

2. Onibaba

3. Delicatessen

My voting...

Delicatessen 3pts

Dogtooth 2pts

Onibaba 1pts

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I'll try Ben, but I'm not so great at explaining about films.

Delicatessen is a very quirky, dark comedy. It's set in a weird future/past, and looks like no other film I've ever seen, it so clever visually, with lots of classic scenes, and it's just one of my all time favourite films.

Onibaba is so different to Delicatessen, it's black and white, has a very small cast, and tells a very simple story, but it's also visually striking, and the story it tells will keep you glued to the film. Definitely one of the best of the older generation of Japanese cinema, and up there with some of Kurosawa's best work. It would probably best be described as a psychological horror film,

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Bump for JD's vote.

Strapped, can you confirm your situation? If you can spare 1.5hrs per month (to watch the film) it seems to me you could continue, with whatever level of contribution your time allows.

Alternatively, if strapped feels he is unable to continue, are we continuing as a five or seeking to co-opt a new member?

John Duncan

Sorry.

Dogtooth - 3pts

Onibaba - 2pts

Delicatessen - 1pt

Reasoning - I've seen Delicatessen (it's terrific) and of the other two, I can learn some Greek to impress my sister-in-law. Though reading the synopsis, they may not be words I want to practice on her.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
It's difficult to say how I'll get on time-wise over coming months, though work demands aren't going to decrease. With that in mind, I think it's fairer to bring in a new member, who can give nominated films due attention.

Perhaps I'll have more free time later on and a film club spot will reopen. For now, at least, thanks to other members for some really interesting and enjoyable discussion, and for bringing some new films to my attention!

I'll certainly revisit films we've discussed. Hopefully a few of you will revisit Mulholland Drive, even if your initial reaction to both the film and my thoughts on it was "what the f*ck!"

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Until now and without SFC voting:

Delicatessen 10pts

Dogtooth 8pts

Onibaba 6pts

I would like that SFC stay in film club, I like to read his opinions, and maybe he is being a bit perfectionist, but thats the way he is and we have to respect his decision if he really want to leave the club...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts