The WHF Film Club

Page 49 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BenLaw said:
OOI what more confusing films have you seen? I've one pretty confusing one that will probably make my list of three suggestions next time and Holy Motors was similarly confusing. Can't think of many more off the top of my head.

I must get confused easily. :)

Not many are coming to mind, though Gozu (Miike Takashi) is like a weird dream, and I remember seeing Eraserhead as a young teenager, and not having a clue what was happening. I need to see it again, but I'm really not sure I want to.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0361668/

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
BenLaw said:
OOI what more confusing films have you seen? I've one pretty confusing one that will probably make my list of three suggestions next time and Holy Motors was similarly confusing. Can't think of many more off the top of my head.

I must get confused easily. :)

Not many are coming to mind, though Gozu (Miike Takashi) is like a weird dream, and I remember seeing Eraserhead as a young teenager, and not having a clue what was happening. I need to see it again, but I'm really not sure I want to.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0361668/

:grin: I've added Gozu to my lovefilm list. I love Eraserhead, though I'm not sure how I'll feel about it now I have a child of my own! I'm sure it's significantly less complex than the narrative structures in MD, even before you come on to imagery and theme.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Have you seen Visitor Q yet Ben?

That could be a stupid question, as I'm sure you would have commented about it if you had.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Yep, one protagonist but identity and manifestation seems pertinent to the wider issues.

Sounds like we're talking about the same website, the bits I've read certainly seem to address your questions.

can you guys post the link to the web sites that you are talking about?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BenLaw said:
:grin: I've added Gozu to my lovefilm list. I love Eraserhead, though I'm not sure how I'll feel about it now I have a child of my own! I'm sure it's significantly less complex than the narrative structures in MD, even before you come on to imagery and theme.

I think I meant confused as in, what the hell is going on?

It was the imagery that freaked me out. I was probably only 12 or 13 when I saw it, and i'd never seen anything like it before, and I had to stop watching it.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
expat_mike said:
I thought that I had understood only a small part of the film after 1 viewing, and then I read these "clues" and realised that my interpretations of sections of the film were completely different - so roughly zilch understood after 1 viewing.

http://www.mulholland-drive.net/studies/10clues.htm

Lynch's "10 clues" are really not that helpful.

Lynch is notorious for dodging questions on how to best interpret his films.

Reading Chris Rodley's Lynch on Lynch will give you a good sense of how evasive the director gets.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Perhaps we can discuss Eraserhead later. (Especially in the context of question four.)

It'd be useful to know which Lynch films other members have seen. If the answer's not many, question four becomes difficult to answer.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

It's useful to think of Eraserhead as pure surrealism (i.e. it's all about the unconscious, whereas most of Lynch's later features tend to straddle the conscious-unconscious divide). That doesn't mean we can't interpret the film. The beginning's extremely important.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

strapped for cash said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

It's useful to think of Eraserhead as pure surrealism (i.e. it's all about the unconscious, whereas most of Lynch's later features tend to straddle the conscious-unconscious divide). That doesn't mean we can't interpret the film. The beginning's extremely important.

As I said, I was only 12 or 13 when I saw it, and I know I've seen some particularly odd films in more recent times, but I'd never seen anything so visually disturbing before, and I'm not sure I'd want to revisit it. I recorded it quite recently, but I just couldn't make myself watch it, so it got deleted.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Have you seen Visitor Q yet Ben?

That could be a stupid question, as I'm sure you would have commented about it if you had.

I haven't. I think I may have put it down as something I didn't want partner or child walking in on! Have now added it to my lovefilm list.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
Perhaps we can discuss Eraserhead later. (Especially in the context of question four.)

It'd be useful to know which Lynch films other members have seen. If the answer's not many, question four becomes difficult to answer.

Eraserhead, Elephant Man, Wild at Heart and some of Twin Peaks.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:

No Lost Highway or Inland Empire, then. These two films, along with Mulholland Drive, comprise a loose trilogy.

I've little time for Wild at Heart. I'd go as far as to say that it's my least favourite Lynch film. Dune's not high on my list, either.

Twin Peaks requires selective viewing. "Peakies" don't regard anything after season two, episode seven (when Laura's killer is revealed) as real episodes.

The best way to watch Twin Peaks, it's argued, is to watch the first half-hour of FWWM, then every episode of the TV series, in order, up to season two, episode seven. It then makes sense to watch the rest of FWWM.

If I remember rightly, you escape David Duchovny in drag this way. (That's not a comment on men's fashion, but more an observation on how awful the television series became after we learn who killed Laura Palmer.)

Of course the above requires a similar investment of time to watching every episode of Breaking Bad.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
BenLaw said:

No Lost Highway or Inland Empire, then. These two films, along with Mulholland Drive, comprise a loose trilogy.

I've little time for Wild at Heart. I'd go as far as to say that it's my least favourite Lynch film. Dune's not high on my list, either.

Twin Peaks requires selective viewing. "Peakies" don't regard anything after season two, episode seven (when Laura's killer is revealed) as real episodes.

The best way to watch Twin Peaks, it's argued, is to watch the first half-hour of FWWM, then every episode of the TV series, in order, up to season two, episode seven. It then makes sense to watch the rest of FWWM.

If I remember rightly, you escape David Duchovny in drag this way. (That's not a comment on men's fashion, but more an observation on how awful the television series became after we learn who killed Laura Palmer.)

Of course the above requires a similar investment of time to watching every episode of Breaking Bad.

I have Lost Highway but haven't watched it. I also was not particularly keen on Wild at Heart, it didn't seem especially Lynchian. I didn't buy it, I think I recorded it from TV.

I don't own and haven't seen the twin peaks film. I have the series on long term loan from a friend but I don't think I made it as far as the second series. We'll definitely watch it at some stage but maybe after The Wire!

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
Lynch's "10 clues" are really not that helpful.

Lynch is notorious for dodging questions on how to best interpret his films.

Reading Chris Rodley's Lynch on Lynch will give you a good sense of how evasive the director gets.

That's some comfort - I was beginning to think that the film would need 5 viewings. Plus it sounded like Lynch was offering several interpretations of most scenes. If the writer does not know the single interpretation, what hope have mere mortals like me got!!!!

Has anyone heard from JD? He has been very quiet recently (I realise that I am tempting fate). :grin:

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Sorry guys, have had a mental couple of weeks rehearsing for a gig last Friday with a new band (duo) and am catching up now I have actually seen the film if you want to start talking about it...

That'll be the "life" you were referring to in another thread, to which you're of course entitled!

If we're officially discussing Mulholland Drive, can anyone answer any of the questions posed? It perhaps seems like I'm teaching, but it thought this would be a good way to get conversation going.

John Duncan

expat_mike said:
John Duncan said:
Sorry guys, have had a mental couple of weeks rehearsing for a gig last Friday with a new band (duo) and am catching up now I have actually seen the film if you want to start talking about it...

What sort of music does your band play?

This sort:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bys00obIyJ4gdzBjclhPV2dtdVE&usp=sharing

It is quite...sobering...to hear yourself back afterwards.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
For some reason I'd envisioned you performing something a little 'edgier' but it is impressive nonetheless. What sort of size audience have you got there? Oh, and the accent doesn't sound very Scottish. :?

John Duncan

Must be my Nebraska period. I get very Scottish in between times - Mrs JD always says "don't do that Scottish **** between songs..."

There were 300 people there (including all the bands). Biggest audience I've ever played in front of I think :-D

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
the accent doesn't sound very Scottish. :?

If you were anticipating a version of crowd favourite and all-round stompathon "500 miles," it seems JD didn't upload the encore.

It takes tremendous courage to perform before an audience. I certainly couldn't do that in any artistic context, though I'm well practiced now at presenting research to large groups. In some ways this is equally scary, since your ideas are subject to immediate interrogation, from people not always seeking to be constructive.

Out if interest, do you write and perform your own material, JD?

John Duncan

No, there is an enormous songbook out there that is recognised and loved - giving a guarantee of approval, if performed to even a barely competent standard - without me subjecting people to my own ramblings.

I have written and performed a few 'amusing' (my description, if not the listeners') songs in the past, packed with in jokes for known audiences, and to a recognised tune, but that's it.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
John Duncan said:
packed with in jokes for known audiences

As you say, in-jokes inevitably limit your audience.

I guess the alternative is writing lyrics vague enough to allow diverse listener appropriation. This is how many of the world's most succesful songwriters forged careers.

That said, most hit records these days seem to be about rabid egocentrism and/or ruling the world. I doubt I'd find your "ramblings" more troubling!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Am I right in thinking that we will be watching Pan's Labyrinth next, Expat Mike's choice?

I'm sure there's still plenty to discuss with Mulholland Drive, and personally speaking, I'd quite like to watch it again soon.

I'm quite keen to propose my next 3 films, but I'll certainly wait until we've finished discussing Mulholland Drive before I do.

Did anyone record Yojimbo on Film4 today?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I'm sure there's still plenty to discuss with Mulholland Drive, and personally speaking, I'd quite like to watch it again soon.

At some point I'll post as concise an interpretation as possible, which people may of course disagree with.

As nominator, however, I wanted to find out what other members thought first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS