The WHF Film Club

Page 52 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
It's difficult to say how I'll get on time-wise over coming months, though work demands aren't going to decrease. With that in mind, I think it's fairer to bring in a new member, who can give nominated films due attention.

Perhaps I'll have more free time later on and a film club spot will reopen. For now, at least, thanks to other members for some really interesting and enjoyable discussion, and for bringing some new films to my attention!

I'll certainly revisit films we've discussed. Hopefully a few of you will revisit Mulholland Drive, even if your initial reaction to both the film and my thoughts on it was "what the f*ck!"

if you some day want to return you can always have my place, you are a bigger accept that I'll ever be... :grin: :roll:

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
To be honest, by leaving film club I'm removing temptation.

The work growing workload observation is entirely true, especially over the next 3-4 months. I need to spend less time waffling online, mostly on here, but also on other forums.

Thanks very much for the offer, Hi-Fi Outlaw, though I wouldn't wish to push out another member at any point. (I shouldn't be able to, either.)
smiley-smile.gif

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I still think you should stay Strapped. Just cut out the other forums, posts, and complaining about Panasonic, and you'll have more than enough time to watch one film a month. ;)

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
When you put it like that it sounds like a tiny responsibility (and it is). To be completely honest, I feel beyond exhausted at the moment, partly due to workload, but also for more personal (family) reasons I'd rather not discuss.

Dropping film club makes a very small difference. However, it's something I can drop, which can't be said of work or family. Hopefully other members will understand.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Of course we understand, but your membership is always open if you want to, and are able to return at any point in the future.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
Dropping film club makes a very small difference. However, it's something I can drop, which can't be said of work or family. Hopefully other members will understand.

We understand, but I shall still be sad to see you leave. Your greater depth of knowledge about films and filmmaking, has meant that you have usually been able to start the discussions, or restart them when all the discussion seemed to have died down. You have also introduced me to the world of surrealist films, eg MD where nothing is quite what it seems, when one watches a film for the first time. :)

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Thanks all. We'll see what happens further down the line.

For now, anyone interested should declare their wish to join. (Not that I'm trying to do BBB's job as film club organiser.)

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
expat_mike said:
You have also introduced me to the world of surrealist films, eg MD where nothing is quite what it seems

And as representations of dreams and the unconscious. (This ambition is fundamental to any definition of surrealism.)
smiley-smile.gif

I secretly wanted members to vote for Mulholland Drive, so we could unravel the narrative, and because I hoped members would revisit the film with this structure in mind.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
BBB,

You have watched a lot of Japenese films. One of my colleagues is interested in watching animations by hayao Miyazaki. I have already offered to lend her Princess Mononoke. Do you have any recommendations for his other animations?

Are there any other Japanese animations that you would recommend?

Mike :grin:

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I'm not a big fan of animation, but my wife like's Miyazaki.

Her favourite Miyazaki films are (in order) Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind, Laputa: Castle In The Sky, Kiki's Delivery Service, My Neighbour Totoro, Howl's Moving Castle, Ponyo.

She says that if you like Princess Mononoke, then you must see Naisicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind.

I can recommend a French animation film called Belleville Rendez-Vous, which I really enjoyed.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Her favourite Miyazaki films are (in order) Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind, Laputa: Castle In The Sky, Kiki's Delivery Service, My Neighbour Totoro, Howl's Moving Castle, Ponyo.

She says that if you like Princess Mononoke, then you must see Naisicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind.

I can recommend a French animation film called Belleville Rendez-Vous, which I really enjoyed.

Thanks BBB,

I have emailed your recommendations to her. :grin:

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

expat_mike said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Thanks BBB,

I have emailed your recommendations to her. :grin:

No problem Mike.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

To all

Looks like Delicatessen is the winner, and March's film choice, and please don't forget to watch Pan's Labyrinth before the end of February.

Thank you. ;)

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

my favourite Miyazakis are. Spirited Away, Howls Moving Castle, Kikis Delivery Service.

Also, not him, but the anime film Metropolis is brilliant.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
richardw42 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

my favourite Miyazakis are. Spirited Away, Howls Moving Castle, Kikis Delivery Service.

Also, not him, but the anime film Metropolis is brilliant.

have we find ourselves another member BBB...? ;)

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
expat_mike said:
BBB,

You have watched a lot of Japenese films. One of my colleagues is interested in watching animations by hayao Miyazaki. I have already offered to lend her Princess Mononoke. Do you have any recommendations for his other animations?

Are there any other Japanese animations that you would recommend?

Mike :grin:

If it doesn't have to be Japanese, one of my favourites is La Antena. I also just watched Chico and Rita, which is well worth watching.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Hi-FiOutlaw said:
have we find ourselves another member BBB...? ;)

I'm perfectly happy continuing as a five person group, but if Richard would like to join, and the other club members are agreeable, then it's a possibility.

Would be nice to know what the other members think.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm agreeable if Richard is up for it, six seems a good active number and seven manageable as and when strapped wishes to reenter the fray. It's also nice to know someone's been taking an interest!

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Hi

id be up for giving it a go, if all the members are happy to have me. I like watching a lot of varying styles, but I'm not the most analytical. I either like it or I don't. I'd be a pretty poor sub for SFC.

Saying that. Delicatessen is on love film instant, and I have Pans Labyrinth. I'll make a point of watching both even if I don't become a member. I do keep an eye on the thread for some suggestions.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

richardw42 said:
but I'm not the most analytical. I either like it or I don't. I'd be a pretty poor sub for SFC.

I'm very similar, and no-one's quite as analytical as SFC. :)

richardw42 said:
Saying that. Delicatessen is on love film instant, and I have Pans Labyrinth. I'll make a point of watching both even if I don't become a member. I do keep an eye on the thread for some suggestions.

Let's see what JD (if he ever shows his face) and Mike think, but I'm in agreement with Ben and HFO, I think you'd be a worthy addition to the the film club.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
richardw42 said:
Hi

id be up for giving it a go, if all the members are happy to have me. I like watching a lot of varying styles, but I'm not the most analytical. I either like it or I don't. I'd be a pretty poor sub for SFC.

I say give it a go, richard.

Don't worry about being a pretty poor sub for SFC - I think the rest of us recognise that he has far more knowledge about film theory, than we can ever hope to obtain. However that means that because I have started from a baseline of very little, the only way is up. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts