The ultimate hifi experience

gasolin

We always search for the ultimate sound for the room and music we have/like within a budget.

We try different interconnect, buy power mains (and all the other accessories) just to get the last bit of sound quality from the system we have.

There are many different versions of the same record, the first releas(often the best sound) 180gr lp's, sa cd's, remastered cd's, super deluxe and many more.

I have good speakers,a good amp, dac,cable and listen to music from tidal hifi which most people know is losless and the library is huge.

I don't have perfect sound (for my taste and room) i have used a beocenter 9300 (huge system) with a more soft top and a bit more bass, i wanted a smaller amp and choose the Marantz PM6005 (couldn't listen to it so i trusted the reviews, have used a Denon dra-f109 before my beocenter 9300, marantz and denon have a sound that is not to fare away from each other, so i wasn't affraid to buy the marantz PM6005), i have a sound that's open and clear where the midrange is easy to hear at low volume when watching,hearing a movie late night, i do how ever feel a bit of sparkle from the top listening to bright recorded songs, especially at high levels (my boston a 25 are angled towards me mabye shouldn't angle them) i'm not a big fan of that, but theres no fattigue sound, a bit more punchy bass with normal pop,rock i wouldn't mind (the good recordings are great to listen to, is my system to analytic?).

Not shure how to remove the sparkle (don't know if it's the right word to descripe how the top sounds, with bright recordings) and a bit more punchy bass, i normally don't use eq,tone controls, constanly having to turn the bas/treble up or down i don't like, i like how music sounds different as long as the general sound is okay, not to bright and a good deep bass that have alot of punch,power at high levels, i do have alot of punchy bottom with my boston a25's, just not as much as with a 6½ inch woofers or normal pop,rock music from those records that are neither bad or good recorded, sort of avarage.

I might look for some boston a26 (i have had a pair) for deeper more punch bottom and higher sensitivity or Wharfedale diamond 220 on black friday (or used) anything else i should look at or do to make tha bas/top a bit better?

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
No you don't ;)

when trying to remove harshness or brightness from bad recordings you risk making everything else sound dull.

You have upgraditis. You need a better amp and speakers. Speakers will have the biggest impact, although the cheaper Marantz amps often sound a bit hard in the treble to me. Leap up to the PM8005 level if you can.

Or maybe just try putting a tissue in front of the tweeter to cut a bit of brightness.

ID. said:
No you don't ;)

when trying to remove harshness or brightness from bad recordings you risk making everything else sound dull.

You have upgraditis. You need a better amp and speakers. Speakers will have the biggest impact, although the cheaper Marantz amps often sound a bit hard in the treble to me. Leap up to the PM8005 level if you can.

Or maybe just try putting a tissue in front of the tweeter to cut a bit of brightness.

Or you could just draw the curtains. :)

Seriously to the OP if you find Boston's bright there is little point in buying A26's. Go for the Wharfdales. Change your front end, or more cheaply, stop buying bright recordings. :)

gasolin

Normally there are not bright , it's just that they have some kind of sparkle, something i don't know excatly how to desscribe

Especially with bright music,medium to high levels

I don't find the bostons a 26 a bit more louder,deeper bass and power handling is higher, price use for a pair the same as 1 a26 with discount, that's not a bad thing since some of them are 6-12 month old, ii like the sound from the bostons it's just a medium levels on bright recording they may sound a bit analytic or mabye harsh and the surpises me beause i think it's the amp that does that (tv,movies and the good recording i find the sound to be very good)
When i made the topic last night the spam filter was tricked,blocking all i wanted to post, i shortened it, but the last part was missing and couldn't make a quote,reply so here is the last part Why can't we find a system we like and use it until something doesn't work, if we use a turntable,cdplayer look for the original releases with the good sound, those who hasn't been remastered just to sound loud at any volume from any instrument (loudness war) and enjoy music, instead of trying to find a better sounding system that makes those always loud remastered cd's sound better. (you can't make a cd/lp that sounds like crap, like metallica's death magnetic, sound better if you buy a better sounding system)

TRENDING THREADS