The Quad 9AS thread

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
John Duncan said:
I'll clean up the active speakers thread if I can...

Ronson_flame_tank_Iwo_Jima.jpg

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
No argument here. I like the look of them, I have a demo arranged in the New Year and - if they sound great - i think i'll be buying a pair.

The only 'fly in the ointment' would be if Quad were planning an '11AS' along the same lines and I didn't get to hear about them until after i'd bought the 9ASs. (The old 11L Actives were excellent but lacked the DAC and only had volume controls on the rear of each speaker.)

Another visit here from Peter Comeau would be nice.

T

the record spot

Second that. Would love to hear more from Peter. As one of the senior guys at IAG though that might be tricky. And yes, the 9AS looks very appealing.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
May sound good but they seem crippled by wife-repelling looks. Few decent photos have emerged so far, maybe in real-life they'll look less like home-studio monitors and more like something which will be welcomed into the lounge. But don't they even have any grills?

matthewpiano

I'm excited about them to be honest. They will have to be excellent for me to part with the Zensor 3s and Pioneer A-30, but if they are Quad will probably have another customer in me. I like the 11Ls (which I still have) and the idea of a smaller speaker but with the active amplification and DAC built-in is very attractive.

Will look forward to your feedback when you hear them Chebby!

John Duncan

richardw42 said:
They look a lot less offensive with the grilles on. And when in situ doubt the funny looking grooved sides won't really be an issue.

Agreed on both counts:

quad_9AS_white_pair.jpg

I think they look a little odd sitting on...something...but where I would put them if I were to (above the TV on a bookshelf flanked by, well, books) I think they'd be OK, the heatsinks wouldn't be visible.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
John Duncan said:
richardw42 said:
They look a lot less offensive with the grilles on. And when in situ doubt the funny looking grooved sides won't really be an issue.

Agreed on both counts:

quad_9AS_white_pair.jpg

I think they look a little odd sitting on...something...but where I would put them if I were to (above the TV on a bookshelf flanked by, well, books) I think they'd be OK, the heatsinks wouldn't be visible.

Like a few other things I can think of they would be much improved with a paper bag over the top.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
The ruby red looks a nice option (saw image on gramophone site).

Some custom standswould be good if the electronics bit could sort of sit inside out if view.

manicm

John Duncan said:
Tell you what they *should* do, and that's put the preamp/crossover into a separate, one-plug box, and have the crossover-less speakers connected to it with bi-wire cable...

Why?? And in any event the gloss white doesn't do them justice - black or some wood finish would do the trick.

AlbaBrown

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Who cares how they look?

The key will be whether they're any good.

I find it utterly bizarre how people raved about the 11L and 22L. They were bloody awful. Technically competent, but no sense of rhythm or verve to speak of. The complete opposite of the electrostatics.

(Yes I know there is a massive difference in price and technology but surely they would be aiming towards the same goal ultimately?)

I remember years ago one of the hifi mags ran a regular cartoon strip, and in one issue it depicted an ostrich with it's head in the sand alongside a signpost that read "The Quad man".

Not a particularly nice comment but it made the point that sometimes you miss so out on so much if you never venture out from your comfort zone.

matthewpiano

The 11L weren't and aren't 'bloody awful'. They need great care with partnering but, get it right, and they can be wonderful - entertaining as well as 'technically competent'. What they don't do, which many affordable speakers do, is over-emphasise the bass and extreme treble to make things sound artificially more exciting. Too many people (including me at times) partnered them with inadequate amplification that just couldn't do them justice.

I would imagine these new actives will take the same road but without he matching issues between amp and speaker.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
They look interesting and dare I say it ... nice.

I believe my local dealer has Quad in the portfolio so I'll get my buns there presto!

However, as chebby said, I'd be more inclined in an 11 model with larger woofer/volume.

regards

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Tell you what they *should* do, and that's put the preamp/crossover into a separate, one-plug box, and have the crossover-less speakers connected to it with bi-wire cable...

... and have both built in airplay and pwerline ethernet

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
John Duncan said:
richardw42 said:

Agreed on both counts:

quad_9AS_white_pair.jpg

I think they look alright, especially in black. If you put them on a desk either side of a computer screen the amplifier base wouldn't look out of place either.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
John Duncan said:

I've wondered that myself before now. It would make a neat solution for active speaker power cables.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts