The older the better . . . ?

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Not posting much these days . . . who was that said 'thank god' . . . Been finding life and hifi a bit frustrating recently, however, still got the ears on.

Music has taken a different position in my life recently, something to enjoy regardless of source, type and time, intensity has been re-leaved. However, the old me still lurks, I do still listen with my 'hifi head' on occasionally, which gives me a certain type of pleasure. You will remember I did a lot valve rolling a few months ago, said valve set I ended up with are now well over one hundred hours old, the KT88 Gold Lions are probably 150 hours +?

The past few days, one has been a little more attentive . . . I have noticed a marked change in sound presentation, an openness and richness, with a distinct clarity. Last night, the Tallis Scholars 'Miserere' on CD was amazing! Miserere was always a test track, one I have not played for months, CD or vinyl version.

Nothing significant has chanced for a long time, the only thing is the valves aging. I have read much about valves getting better with time . . . Music last night was from Spotify and CD, I had a dip into vinyl at the weekend, thinking back, it had the same openness of sound, one was especially impressed with the dynamics from Jeff Beck and my much loved twin miked audiophile church Pipe Organ recordings.

So unlike me, 'ageing' is doing the valves good . . . I wonder if there is an orifice into which I can plug this KT88, will I improve, I certainly feel suitable aged? :?

CJSF

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
CJSF said:
Nothing significant has chanced for a long time, the only thing is the valves aging. I have read much about valves getting better with time CJSF

Valves certainly change their characteristics with usage (not age). From an electrical performance point of view they definitely don't get better, they only get worse as the emission from the cathode reduces. However, from a listening point of view these changes may translate into a more pleasurable listening experience; I can't say why that would be though. With an engineers head on they should sound worse as the valves lose the ability to respond to fast loud transients due to a lack of electrons, the transconductance of the valve would also starts to reduce, just goes to show that theory and practice are two different animals.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
eggontoast said:
CJSF said:
Nothing significant has chanced for a long time, the only thing is the valves aging. I have read much about valves getting better with time CJSF

. . . just goes to show that theory and practice are two different animals.

Age and use, my confusion, I obviousley ment 'hours used'. I have said it many times, therory and practise are two different things in the world of hifi. Explains a lot of the 'excentrics' in hifi . . . are they truly excentric or the only ones in step? :?

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
You know, I read the forum regularly, there is a lot of tail chasing going on, with speaker types, what is the best, same for cables, amps as well. Surley, its better to sit and enjoy the music? Radical changes are obviously going to hapen but the nibbling, trying to get 'somthing for nothing', I just dont see the point.

Carfull choice in the first place is fundimental, it requires understanding. The classic is cables, round and round and . . . !? causing all sorts of frustrations for the individual and forum, eventualy getting to 'remotes drawn at 10 paces' sillyness.

I have used the same cable since the mid 80's, never felt the need to change, have dipped the toe, just to see what the fuss was about, but never been tempted to part with hard cash. I have always used valve amplifiers . . . because I like the sound they produce, but never got into the valve changing lark, leave well alone I thought. I have had three amps since 1980, EAR, Croft and now Icon. The Icon has exposed, easy to get at vaves and my memories of the good old days and KT88's is strong, I nivested in some nostalgia, £120 worth. Positive reaction, then the verious driver and regulator valves took my attention, around another £120.

I stoped at that, my life out side of hifi became complicated, I had other more important things to deal with. Three months latter, back to a bit of serious music listening . . . I have a system that has improved its self beyound recognition. No imput from me over those months, only turing the system on, listening to some radio; Archers and plays mainly, some great material on 'Radio 4 Extra' by the way. When music was required, it was Spotify.

So I have spent the capital cost of a new valve amplifier in January, then £240 on valve tweaks, its called 'rolling', then sat back and watched it mature, rather like putting plants in the garden and watching them grow into a beautiful display. I have a woderfull musical display, cost me little in effort, the small investment has truly paid dividens, just a little time and patience was required.

New cables, speakers, I have know intention of changing anything for a good while, the speakers are circa 1990, the cables well befor that, even the TT/cartridge, although comparitivly recent, concept, design and origins go way back.

Put the breakes on, re-think, are you going around in expensive, unsatisfying circles . . . thats long term satisfy? . . . The cost of valve amps are not as expensive as people imagine, and compared with the cost of new cables or speakers, very competitive, IMHO :?

CJSF

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
CJSF said:
You know, I read the forum regularly, there is a lot of tail chasing going on, with speaker types, what is the best, same for cables, amps as well. Surley, its better to sit and enjoy the music?

Says the man who's made more upgrades and changes in 6 months than I have in ten years! :grin:

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Put the breakes on, re-think, are you going around in expensive, unsatisfying circles . . . thats long term satisfy?

The problem for most people is that they have to reach that point of contentment in the first place. With all the hyping of needless extra bits, high res downloads and equipment, hifi-ers have little or no chance of sitting back and really enjoying what they have.

I have been lucky enough to have found my solution to upgraditis but that will pull us away from your musings CJSF.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Yep thats it, I did a lot of upgrading, generaly with a positive affect, and certainly cost was always at the fore, was it cost affective? . . . and yep I know when to stop, 'PP', thats now, sit back, listen and enjoy.

I'm passing on my expiances The_Lhc, most of those upgrades were to the TT . . . as I'm writing in the hifi section, they are not applicable, although relevent to me. My CD, untouched is sounding more open and dynamic, my radio listening is superb, again, untouched and Spotify, the same as it was a couple of years ago when I decided to pay my £5pm, a great and improving sound that I enjoy for its practicality, simplicity and very wide choice of music.

Its simple, valves are ignored by most . . . 'because' they are not understood? I'm learning, I'm trying to pass it on The_Lhc, no good sticking your head in the sand mate, perhaps it about time you made a move? If you are not wanting to move on, why snear and make coment, you aint interested, there are other who do do a lot of moving 'around in circles' . . . looking for the 'Holy Grail'? No,I aint found it yet either, but I have found somthing that interests me in the improvement in my system with out me doing a thing for months. I am having a rest and enjoy, even consider 'do I need more', now there is a question . . . :?

I'd be interested in your solution 'relocate', widen the thinkig of the thread?

CJSF

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
CJSF said:

His solution is in his signature.

An Apple TV (and a CD Player) feeding a pair of AVI active floorstanders (they have built in DAC/pre-amp as well as built-in amplifiers) and a second system with AVI active bookshelf speakers and another Apple TV.

Everything (except the ATVs - which are only a little larger than a *** packet - and CD player) is contained within the speaker cabinets. A couple of optical cables and it's 'good to go'.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
chebby said:
CJSF said:

His solution is in his signature.

An Apple TV (and a CD Player) feeding a pair of AVI active floorstanders (they have built in DAC/pre-amp as well as built-in amplifiers) and a second system with AVI active bookshelf speakers and another Apple TV.

Everything (except the ATVs - which are only a little larger than a *** packet - and CD player) is contained within the speaker cabinets. A couple of optical cables and it's 'good to go'.

Thanks Chebby thats saved some typing and 100% accurate.

TRENDING THREADS