The evolution of my AV system.....

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
I agree....it does look much better....

TV dilemna.........

LG 50PK350(Plasma) and add the Humax Fox t2 freeview HD box later in April....

LG...£550, Humax...£270.....total is £820.......

or

Sony KDL 46EX503 (LCD), with built in Freeview HD tuner, and an optical output that works with all Dolby digital 5.1 signals

Seen for £750 at the moment....include free 5 year guarantee.....

Hmmmmm
emotion-18.gif

A

Anonymous

it's your call, the sony is very good aswell, and won't suffer as much with reflections..

but for movies.......

i know what i'd prefer....

D

Deleted member 2457

Pistol Pete1:

And with 4cm's cut off the height of the middle shelf (with centre speaker, blu rays and x box games on)......

Job done.........

5306118921_23e1d54a44.jpg

What are you watching on your tv Pete? is that you playing?

What do you make of Murray at the moment?

Cheers
emotion-21.gif

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Ha ha.........it was an advert for a sports resort type thing.....and not me playing this time.....

As for Murray.......well I think he needs to win a Grand Slam this year, or I think it may elude him forever, with Rafa, Novak and Roger still healthy, and playing well......

D

Deleted member 2457

Pistol Pete1:

Ha ha.........it was an advert for a sports resort type thing.....and not me playing this time.....

As for Murray.......well I think he needs to win a Grand Slam this year, or I think it may elude him forever, with Rafa, Novak and Roger still healthy, and playing well......

Ah
emotion-21.gif
i thought you might have had a match filmed and you were watching your action
emotion-2.gif

Hopefully Murray will yep, i also hope he gets abit more exciting to watch again, these last 6 months i have found his matches very boring.

Yeah a Pioneer would look great on there too
emotion-1.gif
emotion-21.gif

Cheers

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
gel:Pistol Pete1:

Ah
emotion-21.gif
i thought you might have had a match filmed and you were watching your action
emotion-2.gif

Hopefully Murray will yep, i also hope he gets abit more exciting to watch again, these last 6 months i have found his matches very boring.

Yeah a Pioneer would look great on there too
emotion-1.gif
emotion-21.gif

Cheers

Missing the Murray drop shots/ serve and volley tactics, are you?
emotion-4.gif
They normally make things a bit more exciting, rather than hitting from the baseline all day......

Shop down the road has offered me the Sony KDL 46EX503 for £825 including the Sony 5 year warranty until closing time on Monday....

Very tempting indeed.....sorry gel, Pioneer will have to wait.......
emotion-3.gif

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Nice spy gel........found same price in Yorkshire.

The problem is that it's in store only to get that price and to get the Sony 5 year warranty.

The place down the road advertises it for £849, but went down to £825 once I told him about the offer of £750 I had seen......add petrol and it really costs £780/90, and then if it goes wrong and need returning......
emotion-7.gif

Local shop maybe more convenient, don't you think.......

D

Deleted member 2457

Pistol Pete1:

Nice spy gel........found same price in Yorkshire.

The problem is that it's in store only to get that price and to get the Sony 5 year warranty.

The place down the road advertises it for £849, but went down to £825 once I told him about the offer of £750 I had seen......add petrol and it really costs £780/90, and then if it goes wrong and need returning......
emotion-7.gif

Local shop maybe more convenient, don't you think.......

Yep definitely
emotion-21.gif
it is a pity he won't go all the way on the price match though
emotion-21.gif
perhaps try well can you include a hdmi cable as well then
emotion-14.gif

emotion-11.gif

A

Anonymous

very nice set-up Pete...tidy, bet it all sound's great, Happy new year benny.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Well....what a relevation!!

I knew bi amping these new KEF speakers was a must, but today I've bi wired the centre speaker......

It's all to do with these 'screw up' links (it's about the correct description for them too, in my opinion!!) These convenient screw knobs that are used instead of the traditional metal link really do 'downgrade' the SQ on these speakers......

Bi amp/wiring is a MUST with these, otherwise you are NOT hearing what they can really do......

Bi wired, and suddenly Bono's voice comes alive, with more depth to both the music and his voice (Blu ray - 360 at the Rose Bowl).......the over all clarity is improved too, which all adds up to be a big improvement (especially as the centre speaker takes up to 60% of the sound in 5.1 set up....)

Well pleased............

And for those who like to see the speaker cones on show........

5320929670_af7e3f50c4.jpg

A

Anonymous

Very nice setup Pete.

Killer Blu-Ray (U2 360) too.....

jules.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Jules........
emotion-21.gif

Only just got the blu ray for xmas.......loving it though.....
emotion-4.gif

It's the only concert blu ray with 'Ultra Voilet' on, which is one of my fav U2 songs....

dirtydean

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Very nice set up Pete, very creative with the stand looks good.
Can I ask you? Dose your amp get hot with the sides so close? I'm thinking of making a stand because space is limited for me and I can not find a suitable stand. The Denon manual says leave .3m, that seems a lot I could do with keeping it tight but worried it will get to hot.
Thanks

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Dean.....I'm pleased with the results of combining two stands into one. There seems to be very few stands out there that will hold the amount of equipment I have, without spending a lot of money. The other good thing is that I still have a bit of room for additions, if needed in the future.

The Denon, unlike my old Onk 606, doesn't seem to get that hot. My old Onk 606 was sat in the same place as the Denon, and even that had no problems. Saying that, to compensate, the gap above the Onk/Denon is quite big to help cirulation, and the stand is open at the back too.

Finally, as heat rises, those side vents probably don't circulation that much heat, in my opinion. I would definitely not leave that kind of gap above the machine......

Hope that helps......

dirtydean

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Pistol Pete1:
Thanks Dean.....I'm pleased with the results of combining two stands into one. There seems to be very few stands out there that will hold the amount of equipment I have, without spending a lot of money. The other good thing is that I still have a bit of room for additions, if needed in the future.

The Denon, unlike my old Onk 606, doesn't seem to get that hot. My old Onk 606 was sat in the same place as the Denon, and even that had no problems. Saying that, to compensate, the gap above the Onk/Denon is quite big to help cirulation, and the stand is open at the back too.

Finally, as heat rises, those side vents probably don't circulation that much heat, in my opinion. I would definitely not leave that kind of gap above the machine......

Hope that helps......

Thanks Pete I've just finished my drawings for the stand I'm going to make and ill have to leave a gap at the top anyway. The only problem now, the wife said it will look to old fashioned so ill have to change it slightly to look more modem, hopefully ill start it soon. I'm going to have to get two 9 by 1 planks joined for the top middle and bottom, I can not find any where that sells a piece of wood that's 1045mm by 400mm.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
I nearly made my own stand, using kitchen tops. Did the design, and found the hardware to make this catilever design.....

Then saw this idea of creating one stand from two identical one's, and knew it would be cheaper, easier and quicker to make....

The kitchen top idea, would have been extremely heavy, and no doubt a solid stand which I suspect would have been excellent for hi fi equipment use....

Good luck with yours....keep us posted....

dirtydean

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Pistol Pete1:
I nearly made my own stand, using kitchen tops. Did the design, and found the hardware to make this catilever design.....

Then saw this idea of creating one stand from two identical one's, and knew it would be cheaper, easier and quicker to make....

The kitchen top idea, would have been extremely heavy, and no doubt a solid stand which I suspect would have been excellent for hi fi equipment use....

Good luck with yours....keep us posted....

Will do....

A

Anonymous

Hi Pete

What cables do you use with KEF Q500?

Do you also notice improvements in bass with them?

Regards

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
They are bi amped from the Denon receiver with chord Odyssey 2 cable, and bi wired from the Pioneer stereo amp with the odyssey 2 cable too (each system is seperate, thou!).......

The bass is superb with these speakers. Especially using a stereo amp on them and listening an a good level...When i use them for home cinema, obviously the sub takes over bass duties

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts