Evolution of my system

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

WinterRacer

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Congrats WR :) Look forward to the full review. Are you one of the first to get these?

I think I was the first!

Here's a brief review based on 5 days ownership and not as much time to listen as I'd like (as always!)

First off, for those that have ADM9s, yes the ADM40s are better, to my ears, quite a bit better, but the ADM9s remain very very good. There's nothing wrong with ADM9s and in the run up to getting the 40s, I did question why I was bothering to upgrade. With previous hi-fi purchases I'd upgraded because something was broken or bothering me; nothing ever bothered me with the ADM9s. However, moving on...

The first few tracks I played made me search out tortuous bass tracks to check what I was hearing. Listening to the likes of Massive Attack, James Blake, Goldfrapp & many more showed that AVI have kept the bass really tight on these, but they have quite a bit more extension and impact than the ADM9s.

I've spent quite a while with music and test tones (using Audiotools on the iPhone to help measure response) and my current thinking is that for music they just don't need a sub. Listening to Massive Attack - Protection quite a lot louder than I normally would showed no lack of extension or volume.

Moving on to acoustic and vocal music the thing that really strikes me is how dynamic, detailed and clear they are. The best way I can describe it is that they sound incredibly life like and bring the performer into the room like no hi-fi I've heard before. I've really noticed the difference with Piano, guitar and vocals - perhaps because those are the instruments I'm most familiar with.

Basically, I'm loving them and can wholeheartedly recommend them to anyone.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Yes indeed. Not my bag aesthetically, but very interesting nonetheless. Look forward to the review...

Fully Agree. The front twin bass reflex ports (?) with display on one speaker and none on the other, as well as the overall look make it not visually appealing to me. Looks more like DIY / Work in Progress. I prefer the ADM 9T look much better. I guess few years from now ADM will deliver visual appeal as well

(This company needs to be applauded for approaching the HiFi from a different direction altogether and finally delivering a 3-way active floor stander)

But reading how happy WR is, it looks like it is delivering the SQ and curious to read more about them.

WinterRacer

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
WishTree said:
John Duncan said:
Yes indeed. Not my bag aesthetically, but very interesting nonetheless. Look forward to the review...

Fully Agree. The front twin bass reflex ports (?) with display on one speaker and none on the other, as well as the overall look make it not visually appealing to me. Looks more like DIY / Work in Progress. I prefer the ADM 9T look much better. I guess few years from now ADM will deliver visual appeal as well

(This company needs to be applauded for approaching the HiFi from a different direction altogether and finally delivering a 3-way active floor stander)

But reading how happy WR is, it looks like it is delivering the SQ and curious to read more about them.

Yes, they're twin reflex ports. In the flesh they look really well made and finished, definitely not DIY.

If you're interested there are other positive reviews on them appearing here : [LINK REMOVED - house rules]

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
WinterRacer said:
Yes, they're twin reflex ports. In the flesh they look really well made and finished, definitely not DIY.

If you're interested there are other positive reviews on them appearing here : [LINK REMOVED - house rules]

Thanks WR! I see some very satisfied reviews there. It looks like these are definetly winners as there is not even a single negative remark any where.

I am planning for a trip to London next month and I will try to audition them during my visit. Given all the discounts, I have got on my current set up, the 40s are definetly cheaper than my current set up and might be a better SQ (which is a win-win)

In the mean time, I will wait for the aesthetics to grow on me :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts