My old hi-fi setup

MadSquirrel

May 31, 2009
Visit site
_MG_6505.jpg

My house got broken into a while back, this was a photo of the system I had at the time - Arcam AVR250 receiver, DV79 DVD-A player, Mordaunt-Short Avant 908/905C/903S speakers, Rega Planar 3 turntable with RB300 tonearm and Ortofon 510 cart, and Panasonic 32" CRT TV.

There's also a Sony CD recorder, Technics cassette deck and Sony JB980 minidisc deck on the hi-fi rack. Under the TV is a Sky+ box, Turtle Beach Audiotron music streamer and a Ferguson 3V43 VCR (1985 vintage and still working perfectly).

It was all insured. I now have an Arcam AVR360 receiver, Denon DBT-1713UD universal disc player, Monitor Audio Silver RX6, RX Centre and 2x RX-FX (7.1 configuration) speakers, and the CRT has been replaced with a Samsung 51" plasma. Which is 3D, although I've only ever used the 3D a couple of times to try it out. The Sky+ has been replaced with a Freesat HD box, the cassette deck and VCR have been moved to the system upstairs as they were only ever used for archiving stuff to digital formats. I now have a large glass stand (which matches the hi-fi rack) under the wall-mounted TV to hold the centre speaker, Audiotron and Freesat boxes.

Oh, and the llama now lives in the middle shelf of the new AV rack to the left of the centre speaker. On the right of the speaker there's a squirrel.

Will post pictures of the new system as soon as I've tidied up the front room!

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to hear about the break-in.

It's reassuring to know that I'm not the only one with (if you'll forgive me) a not immaculately tidy house.

Matt

MadSquirrel

May 31, 2009
Visit site
The only things that got taken in the break-in from that room were the AV receiver, DVD player and some of the speakers. They managed to get the 908 floorstanders out, got the four 903S surrounds off the wall (but dropped one in the garden) and missed the 905C.

They did whip the Black Box 50 and an old Technics amp from the back room though.

Had a long fight with the insurance company who were initally saying they were only going to replace 3 out of 4 surrounds and the floorstanders, meaning that I'd have a mis-matched centre and surround speaker. We stuck to our guns and said "hang on, these speakers were part of a matched set and must be treated as such". As mentioned above, eventually they caved and actually paid up.

*looks in front room* I really need to get tidied up in there, then I can take some pics of the new system and post them here.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts