Question My Hi-fi system is not working properly

bulduzer

Jul 15, 2022
Visit site
Hello,
I recently bought a hi-fi component system from a friend. It has one problem that I can't figure out what is going on. I use RCA to Aux cable to play music from a mobile phone or computer, at first I thought it was the cable, so I bought another cable, but it's not, the same thing happens on the radio. So the problem is that sometimes only one speaker works and then I manage to solve it by turning the system off and on or turning the volume all the way down. To me it looks like there is some kind of break in the cables somewhere. I must mention that the speaker cables are not broken anywhere and P.S. It is Aiwa CX-Z900M.

bulduzer

Jul 15, 2022
Visit site
Is there any crackle as you adjust the volume control?
Actually yes, it happens if I move the volume potentiometer a bit faster and then the sound works on both speakers, but not always.

Are you sure the speaker cables aren't at fault?
When you say one speaker doesn't work is it always the same one?
I'm not sure, but I don't think so, but for now only the left speaker works, and until recently it was the same with the right one. Right now, I am listening to some music and both speaker works, but I think it will just random "turn off" one speaker...

Actually yes, it happens if I move the volume potentiometer a bit faster and then the sound works on both speakers, but not always.

I'm not sure, but I don't think so, but for now only the left speaker works, and until recently it was the same with the right one. Right now, I am listening to some music and both speaker works, but I think it will just random "turn off" one speaker...
you possibly have a volume control that is corroded or dirty that needs a good squirt of contact cleaner

Last edited:

Gray

Channel dropouts can be the result of contaminated selector switches and (analogue) volume controls.

I think yours has soft-touch (electronically controlled) source selection...so it won't be that.
But you may well have the type of volume control that could benefit from some contact cleaner - sprayed within its metal casing.

Checkout Servisol Super 10.
You could get someone else to do whatever is necessary, but you shouldn't really want to be spending too much money on it.

Double- check all rear connections before doing anything else though.

Symples

Aug 12, 2021
Visit site
Some "Friend" selling you a dud ;)

Get yourself some contact cleaner and give the volume control (and other switched/contacts) a good spray

Try Amazon eg:
https://amzn.eu/4Uap4VX

PS... Get one with a tube for accurate spraying

I seem to be recommending Amazon a lot..... No I do not work from for them... Mind you. My latest heat pump tumble dryer came from Amazon (Haier) :)

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Might be worth just checking the fuse on the inside of the amp the ones that sits on the left and right channel. you can normally see them with a torch through the grill at the top.

Sometimes they melt and then reform when the amp is cold again

bulduzer

Jul 15, 2022
Visit site
Here are pictures of the inside, I really don't see any break in the circuit board
IMG_7420.jpgIMG_7428.jpg
IMG_7431.jpg
This is the potentiometer inside, there is something greasy on it, I don't know if it is the cause of the problem or it has to be like that
IMG_7432.jpg
IMG_7435.jpg

Gray

The circular part with the grease on it is not the potentiometer, but a motor (used for remote control of it).

Removing the nut you can see in your bottom photo, should give you better access to where you need to spray contact cleaner.
You should find a hole for the spray pipe - for a blast within the pot itself - where wiper contacts move round carbon tracks, that's where cleaning is necessary.
After spraying, manually move the control fully up / down a few times.

Reactions: bulduzer

TRENDING THREADS