The evolution of my AV system.....

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

the_lhc:maxflinn:the_lhc:maxflinn:Pistol Pete1:Fair enough...I'll take your word for it....
emotion-11.gif
the_lhc is right imo,

And wot a smashing chap I am too...

Right?but of course you are dear
emotion-4.gif

Of course I am and don't you believ^H^H^H^H forget it... again.never did
emotion-5.gif

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Pistol Pete1:

Change of plan with the stand idea.......

Bought another one like mine off ebay for £30....was meant to be collecting it today, if it hadn't been for the 4-5 inches of snow we have had overnight....
emotion-12.gif

Will be taking the top big shelf off the new one, and moving the middle plinths further apart to fit my 53cm centre speaker into (currently that gap is 45cms). Then I'll be cutting down the height of the plinths for a snug fit for the centre speaker.

Once that is done, I'll be taking my top big shelf off to add the new part, to then fit the big top shelf back onto it again, thus creating a stand 1.5 time bigger than it is now (approx).

Did you follow that??? Best seen when it's done......

As for the KEF's.........it is 12" (30cm's) away from the wall, but I'll limited for space so have little choice.

Obviously, if I had bought the original stand or made my own (2nd idea), ithe lack of space would have been helped cos both were 25cm's narrower.....

Oh well.........no boominess is apparant, anyway....
emotion-3.gif

And this is what my two stands in one may look like, as I see some other clever chap has had the same idea......
emotion-4.gif

5282802499_c01e91795a.jpg

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:I'd make sure your centre speaker actually fits in your stand though...

Errrrrr...... yes obviously.....maybe he wasn't such a clever chap afterall.......
emotion-7.gif

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:i'd have the centre on the topshelf though...

Mine will be.......
emotion-21.gif
perhaps I should have waited to show you the way mine will be , when I've done it!!!!

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Xmas has come a few days early in this household......

5286111090_8ae29d6eb0.jpg

Collected another tv stand like the one I have...£30
emotion-21.gif

Collected my KEF 3001SE eggs......
emotion-21.gif

They are connected but not yet attached to the wall........

And as they are connected, out came the KEF Q200C centre speaker for it's first outing......

Sound pretty damn good so far.......
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

looking good pete, i'm glad you've got it all hooked up in time for xmas, by the way, have a good one
emotion-21.gif

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Thanks max..... you 2!!!!
emotion-22.gif

Not completely finished as the centre speaker has not moved from the position shown on the first pic on this page.....

Modification of those two stands will commence on the 27th.....(hangover permitting)
emotion-5.gif

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Look who's been busy today...........yea, yea, I realise the two stands are slightly different in colour, but it looks ok to me......

5297765956_68dd4d1cdc.jpg

Undecided whether or not to chop a bit off the top section so there is no gap between centre speaker and top shelf.....hmmmmmm????

Just added half squash balls under the centre speaker too.....
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

that's turned out great pete, plenty of room for everything to fit in
emotion-21.gif
, yea i think you should drop the top slightly, it would look better imo...

i bet your glad you didn't try and make one from scratch now
emotion-1.gif

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Yes, it's saved a lot of time effort to be honest.......even the wife likes it....
emotion-8.gif

That saved money can go towards the new tv idea.....
emotion-5.gif

I think your right......knocking 4cm's off the top part will make it look a bit better, and both the centre speaker and blu rays/xbox games will fit perfectly .....will get it done later in the week, as I'll need to go to my parents house to use 'the big saw'......
emotion-22.gif

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
As cheap as possible....
emotion-5.gif

Need 46-47" tv with a decent review, Freeview HD tuner and a working Dolby digital optical output (I've read some don't cos of a problem..) to connevct to my Denon......

Need one before 20th April 2011 (Freeview HD is availble in this area then), so in no particular hurry.......

Plasma or LCD......not sure, but I watch a bit of fast moving sport, and play x box a bit too....otherwise it's all tv and blu ray use......

A

Anonymous

pete, you've got a very nice audio setup there now, a 50in plasma would be the icing on the cake, if i were you i'd convince the wife to allow one. many of the best value plasmas are 50in. and with the pk 590's slim frame it would be hardly any bigger than many chunkier framed 47in tv's.

why don't you make a cardboard cut out of the pk590 and a few of the larger framed 47inchers
emotion-5.gif
, when swmbo sees there's hardly any difference in size she may change her mind..
emotion-11.gif

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Your absolutely right about the 50" tv's being the bargains........

I like your idea too......
emotion-4.gif

That PK590 would be the perfect solution in my mind......and it looked really good in Comet tonight (once I changed the settings on it....
emotion-5.gif
)

The other bonus is Richer sounds stock them, so can get a cheap 5 year warranty with it, which might be a good idea......

Will need to find out if this dolby digital decoding problem affects this LG tv though. And of course I would not be able to test this until 20th April 2011........

A

Anonymous

well you've got plenty of time to choose pete, and there's only one way prices are going, and that's down
emotion-11.gif

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
It'll be interesting what happems to the tv prices after Jan 4th, with VAT going up to 20%.....

Will the shops pass that onto us, and hope we still buy products, or will they 'absorb' the increase into their profit margins....

Guess we'll see on January 5th!!!!!!

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Ikea sold them about 8-10 years ago.......it is in fact two stands build and modified into one....

Only place you'll find them now is on are fav auction website, but everyone advertises them as collection only, so it's a bit pot luck really.....

Hope that helps.....

A

Anonymous

i think that looks much better pete
emotion-21.gif
, all you want now is a big badboy 50in plasma and you're sorted
emotion-11.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts