The Devialet thread

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Macspur said:
DocG said:
Macspur said:
DocG said:
Angus and Julia Stone are singing for me at the moment: it's just brilliant!

Great taste in music DocG...

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

I love it! I see on your blog that Julia's latest album is on Spotify: must check it out soon!

By the way, you've added quite some tips in the past few days. I think I'll send all your Spotify-listed albums thru the Dev in the coming days!

Excellent, please try and register and leave some comments and let me know what you think.

Mac

I like Passenger and Kings of Convenience a lot. The others are unknown to me so far: to be discovered!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
DocG said:
Well, I'm inclined to keep this unit, and go for the substantial discount. I have two kids (4 and 8 years old), so chances are small I can keep it impeccable for more than a couple of weeks anyway... The discoloration could actually help me getting more off the price! What should I go for? 30%? 40%? Then again, the dealer might suspect I won't buy from him in the future anyway, so I'm not sure what he'll be willing to offer. We'll see...

That's a hard one......since the performance is unaffected, it depends how badly the cosmetic damage will effect the sale price to someone else. If he kept it as his demo unit, he would probably take a hit of 35% if it was undamaged, so probably 40% with damage, when the time came to sell it on

You need to try and figure the least amount you are prepared to accept, but FWIW, I'd ask for 30% but would take 25%.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
DocG said:
Macspur said:
DocG said:
Macspur said:
DocG said:
Angus and Julia Stone are singing for me at the moment: it's just brilliant!

Great taste in music DocG...

Mac

I love it! I see on your blog that Julia's latest album is on Spotify: must check it out soon!

By the way, you've added quite some tips in the past few days. I think I'll send all your Spotify-listed albums thru the Dev in the coming days!

Excellent, please try and register and leave some comments and let me know what you think.

Mac

I like Passenger and Kings of Convenience a lot. The others are unknown to me so far: to be discovered!

I think you're in for a treat, listening to all that good music through the Dev... enjoy.

BTW, Julia's other album is superb too and Angus's solo is on my wish list.

Mac

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:
Hey Doc, how's it going? Enjoying the Dev, I hope!

Any news from the dealer?

:cheers:

Matt

Hi Matt,

No, I'm actually enjoying work in the hospital since 7:00 a.m. :) I'm on call for a week, which started yesterday evening [so I couldn't even have the beer you suggested...]. But tonight, once the kids are asleep, I'll start browsing through Mac's suggestions on Spotify!

As for the dealer, no news so far... :liar:! The good thing is: I haven't paid him yet! We agreed I would pay him by bank transfer, but I discovered the issue just when I was about to. I guess this puts me in a somewhat more comfortable position to negotiate. :read:

I have read this with interest. I was fortunate to hear the original Devialet when it first came to the UK. It was through a pair of Sf Cremona - the ones that cost about seven grand here. I was auditioning an Olive player but decided the technology was untried and was thrilled when my old Krell cdp came back after a service sounding brilliant.

Earlier in the thread I was thinking "get some Sonus fabers" so was pleased to see that was what happened! Obviously I am biased, but the super clean Dev sound is a perfect match in my view.

A few months later I heard the firs KEF Blades in the UK too, with the same amp. I wrote about it on here at the time. Not taken with the Blades, but I have never liked bigger KEFs, preferring thie babies, like the Coda 3 years ago, and currently the LS50.

This is definitely the last amp I will ever buy if my Premium Bond comes up!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
nopiano said:
I have read this with interest. I was fortunate to hear the original Devialet when it first came to the UK. It was through a pair of Sf Cremona - the ones that cost about seven grand here. I was auditioning an Olive player but decided the technology was untried and was thrilled when my old Krell cdp came back after a service sounding brilliant.

Earlier in the thread I was thinking "get some Sonus fabers" so was pleased to see that was what happened! Obviously I am biased, but the super clean Dev sound is a perfect match in my view.

A few months later I heard the firs KEF Blades in the UK too, with the same amp. I wrote about it on here at the time. Not taken with the Blades, but I have never liked bigger KEFs, preferring thie babies, like the Coda 3 years ago, and currently the LS50.

This is definitely the last amp I will ever buy if my Premium Bond comes up!

I finally got to hear the Blades, and much to my surprise, loved them...totally different experience to the Muons. I wrote about it here: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/blade-front-runner

CnoEvil said:
I finally got to hear the Blades, and much to my surprise, loved them...totally different experience to the Muons. I wrote about it here: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/blade-front-runner

Hi Cno, I am delighted they did the biz for you. I am sure they can, but as we both know gear that should shine can underwhelm in some situations. Have missed the forum but have been busy buying a cottage. Sorry your back stil not fully better. Regards, np.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
nopiano said:
CnoEvil said:

Hi Cno, I am delighted they did the biz for you. I am sure they can, but as we both know gear that should shine can underwhelm in some situations. Have missed the forum but have been busy buying a cottage. Sorry your back stil not fully better. Regards, np.

Thank you my friend.
I for one miss your insight on here.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
DocG said:
matt49 said:
Hey Doc, how's it going? Enjoying the Dev, I hope!

Any news from the dealer?

Matt

Hi Matt,

No, I'm actually enjoying work in the hospital since 7:00 a.m. :) I'm on call for a week, which started yesterday evening [so I couldn't even have the beer you suggested...]. But tonight, once the kids are asleep, I'll start browsing through Mac's suggestions on Spotify!

As for the dealer, no news so far... :liar:! The good thing is: I haven't paid him yet! We agreed I would pay him by bank transfer, but I discovered the issue just when I was about to. I guess this puts me in a somewhat more comfortable position to negotiate. :read:

Definitely Doc... he will not want to lose the sale that's for sure.

Good to see Nopiano back on the forum too.

Mac

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
nopiano said:

Very happy to have obliged! I've heard a Dev with the two Cremona Ms and the new Olympica Is and IIs. All were good, though the Olympica Is weren't properly run in, I think, and the Cremona M floorstanders aren't quite as good as the Auditor standmounts and were knocked for six by the Olympica IIs. In the medium term, if I get a bigger room, the Olympica IIs will be on the shortlist. For now, the Auditor Ms are just right.

Yes, the Dev/SF match is very very lovely.

Macspur said:
DocG said:
The good thing is: I haven't paid him yet! We agreed I would pay him by bank transfer, but I discovered the issue just when I was about to. I guess this puts me in a somewhat more comfortable position to negotiate. :read:

Absolutely agree with Mac. You're in the driving seat.

Matt

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Macspur said:
DocG said:
As for the dealer, no news so far... The good thing is: I haven't paid him yet! We agreed I would pay him by bank transfer, but I discovered the issue just when I was about to. I guess this puts me in a somewhat more comfortable position to negotiate. :read:

Got a mail from my dealer today. His explanation of what has happened, is still not very convincing (he gave me the wrong amp, but he hasn't got the right amp anymore, cos a colleague of his by accident gave my amp to someone else... ah well...).

Our deal is: I can for now keep using the demo amp, and once my new 110 arrives (which wont take long, he promised), he will come to my place to switch them. Which is a nice gesture, cos I live some 90 km from his shop. I pay half the price now, and the rest when all ends well.

Looks acceptable to me (though I'm not sure I want to do more business with him)...

Right, so now I can concentrate on the music again! :)

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
Got a mail from my dealer today. His explanation of what has happened, is still not very convincing (he gave me the wrong amp, but he hasn't got the right amp anymore, cos a colleague of his by accident gave my amp to someone else... ah well...).

Our deal is: I can for now keep using the demo amp, and once my new 110 arrives (which wont take long, he promised), he will come to my place to switch them. Which is a nice gesture, cos I live some 90 km from his shop. I pay half the price now, and the rest when all ends well.

Looks acceptable to me (though I'm not sure I want to do more business with him)...

No, not altogether convincing. On the other hand, I tend to prefer c*ck-up explanations to conspiracy ones. There's a lot of innocent incompetence out there.

Anyway, that sounds like a good deal. If he fails to produce the new unit, you'll still have a fully functional Dev at half price. :grin:

Enjoy the music!

Matt

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
matt49 said:
DocG said:

No, not altogether convincing. On the other hand, I tend to prefer c*ck-up explanations to conspiracy ones. There's a lot of innocent incompetence out there.

Anyway, that sounds like a good deal. If he fails to produce the new unit, you'll still have a fully functional Dev at half price. :grin:

Enjoy the music!

Matt

Sounds like the old 'my amplifiers have been abducted by aliens' story all over again........ :O

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
davedotco said:
matt49 said:
DocG said:

Sounds like the old 'my amplifiers have been abducted by aliens' story all over again........ :O

Well, that would make more sense, strictly logically speaking anyway. It would explain where this "someone else's" amplifier is now: abducted by creatures from the planet Zog, who need it to feed their home grown speakers, known on earth as "Vivids". :)

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Yes, today is Devialet Day, it would appear. My dealer just called, sounding immensely pleased with himself. Now all I have to worry about is the bl**dy aliens. :shifty:

Matt

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:
Yes, today is Devialet Day, it would appear. My dealer just called, sounding immensely pleased with himself. Now all I have to worry about is the bl**dy aliens. :shifty:

Matt

Well, all right, Matt! Cross my fingers! :pray: Do let us know when (if) it makes it home!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
matt49 said:

Matt

Whatever you do don't leave it in the car unattended........ :shame:

And stear well clear of the A23.

BTW, I think I have resolved my parakeet issue, I got quite close this morning and the the 'smaller' ones that I have been seeing quite regularly are getting bigger and the 'ring' is just beginning to show on the back of their necks, so youngsters them, presumably from this summer......

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:

BTW, I think I have resolved my parakeet issue, I got quite close this morning and the the 'smaller' ones that I have been seeing quite regularly are getting bigger and the 'ring' is just beginning to show on the back of their necks, so youngsters them, presumably from this summer......

Thanks for that sage advice, Dave, and delighted to hear you've reached a resolution to the parakeet issue. I don't think you're quite ready for a slot on Springwatch yet though .... ;)

No mishaps this afternoon, and no sign of aliens. Some two months later than promised (the teeth are no longer gritted), I now have a brand new Dev 170 (sorry, Doc!). It's receiving a digital signal, and music's coming out of the Cremonas. Job done.

Matt

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
matt49 said:
davedotco said:

Thanks for that sage advice, Dave, and delighted to hear you've reached a resolution to the parakeet issue. I don't think you're quite ready for a slot on Springwatch yet though .... ;)

No mishaps this afternoon, and no sign of aliens. Some two months later than promised (the teeth are no longer gritted), I now have a brand new Dev 170 (sorry, Doc!). It's receiving a digital signal, and music's coming out of the Cremonas. Job done.

Matt

Rather like my newest feathered friends I am really, really green.

I have loads of questions for you but for the moment they can wait, what we really want to know is how does it sound, I'm expecting a full report when you can tear yourself away, sometine around next april I reckon........ :cheers:

Christ, it looks so unassuming just sitting there on the top of that bookcase.......gulp!

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
matt49 said:
davedotco said:

Matt

Brilliant!

I can't wait until next April... a full review by the weekend please.

Doc's alright, at least he's got one to play with, all be it soiled goods, but as you found Matt, all comes to those who wait.

smiley-smile.gif

Mac

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Macspur said:
Brilliant!

I can't wait until next April... a full review by the weekend please.

Doc's alright, at least he's got one to play with, all be it soiled goods, but as you found Matt, all comes to those who wait.

smiley-smile.gif

Mac

Cheers, Mac! You've been extraordinarily helpful and generous with your time over the past few months, giving me the benefit of your accumulated experience and good sense. Sorry to single you out, but I feel that this is a suitably emotional moment to put my thanks to you on record. (Sniff sniff, blub blub.)

The "review", such as it is, will come out piecemeal over the next couple of weeks. I also have some messing around with sources to do. It'll be interesting to see if I can get this system to sound even better than it's sounding already.

Matt

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:
No mishaps this afternoon, and no sign of aliens. Some two months later than promised (the teeth are no longer gritted), I now have a brand new Dev 170 (sorry, Doc!).

That's OK. Yours is brand new. Mine is extensively run in already! :p

Enjoy! :cheers:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Well Matt......Enjoy. :bounce:

If it had been a 110, I'd have said you'd stolen Doc's one......but it isn't, and so you can't have. :shifty:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts