The Devialet thread

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

matt49

New member
Apr 7, 2013
51
0
0
chrissasfre said:
i think its that 35 hour working week here in france not enougth time for work to make the amp and smoke and enjoy coffee :rofl:but did you hear it with the kef 700 just wondering if it was any good
Chris, I haven't heard Devs with any KEF speakers, but I can't imagine the combo would sound anything less than excellent. Are you thinking of going down the Dev road? Have you heard a Dev? Interested to hear about your experiences.

:cheers:

Matt
 

matt49

New member
Apr 7, 2013
51
0
0
davedotco said:
We told our waiting customers that we thought the amplifiers had been 'abducted by aliens'.
I'm sure the customers were well satisfied by your explanation. Did you also give them something to smoke when they came to the shop?

:?
 

DocG

Well-known member
May 1, 2012
54
1
18,545
:cheer: :dance: :cheers: :) :clap: :beer: :grin:8) :party: :rockout:

Dealer called! It's arrived! But I probably won't have the time to collect it before next friday...

Oooh, breath in, breath out, breath in, breath out...
 

matt49

New member
Apr 7, 2013
51
0
0
Hey, good man!

:clap:

But a whole week before you collect it? That's going to test your patience a bit. And what if the dealer gets burgled by that Balkan crime syndicate?

:cheers:

Matt

EDIT PS what speakers do you have lined up?
 

davedotco

New member
Apr 24, 2013
20
0
0
matt49 said:
davedotco said:
We told our waiting customers that we thought the amplifiers had been 'abducted by aliens'.
I'm sure the customers were well satisfied by your explanation. Did you also give them something to smoke when they came to the shop?

:?
Many of our customers knew Tony (Mr Onix) pretty well, he would often hang out ot the shop and get the beers in later, he was a smashing bloke, if perhaps a little bit scatty business wise.

They kind of understood.
 

DocG

Well-known member
May 1, 2012
54
1
18,545
matt49 said:
But a whole week before you collect it? That's going to test your patience a bit. And what if the dealer gets burgled by that Balkan crime syndicate?
Yes, the shop is closed on Friday and Saturday (Sabbath). Can't make it on Sunday (my grandma gives a party for her 102th birthday!). And I have to work next week... The shop is in the Antwerp diamond district, so I guess Balkan criminals would have other priorities there (cross my fingers)!

matt49 said:
What speakers do you have lined up?
Well, I hope to demo the PMC Twenty:22 and the Neat Momentum 3i [which I don't expect to sound good close to the front wall, but you never know ]. I asked for the AN-J too, but Audio Note speakers seem hard to get in Belgium.

The rest of my (so far very short) longlist is to be auditioned with other dealers (Vivid V1.5, Diapason Adamantes, Guru QM10, JM Raynaud Bliss; I might give the M30.1 another try too).

:cheers:
 

matt49

New member
Apr 7, 2013
51
0
0
davedotco said:
Many of our customers knew Tony (Mr Onix) pretty well, he would often hang out ot the shop and get the beers in later, he was a smashing bloke, if perhaps a little bit scatty business wise.

They kind of understood.
I guess that's one of the things about very small producers: customers will be more tolerant of their quirks, especially if like your Tony/Mr Onix they have a certain charm. On the other hand, this can also hold businesses back, if the charm of the producer allows him to get away with running a business chaotically. There's been rather a lot of that in the UK, although perhaps less so now.

Sorry that's a bit too serious, isn't it. Didn't realize the washing machine breaking down would affect my mood so much. Time for a beer and a bit of Sonus faber love.

:cheers:
 

davedotco

New member
Apr 24, 2013
20
0
0
matt49 said:
davedotco said:
Many of our customers knew Tony (Mr Onix) pretty well, he would often hang out ot the shop and get the beers in later, he was a smashing bloke, if perhaps a little bit scatty business wise.

They kind of understood.
I guess that's one of the things about very small producers: customers will be more tolerant of their quirks, especially if like your Tony/Mr Onix they have a certain charm. On the other hand, this can also hold businesses back, if the charm of the producer allows him to get away with running a business chaotically. There's been rather a lot of that in the UK, although perhaps less so now.

Sorry that's a bit too serious, isn't it. Didn't realize the washing machine breaking down would affect my mood so much. Time for a beer and a bit of Sonus faber love.

:cheers:
You are quite right of course Matt, after all Onix virtually disappeared from the UK market a year or two later. They still exist, mainly servicing the export market but are virtually unknown in the UK these days.

Their amplifier of the day, The OA21 was fantastic, just under £400 at that time and easily the best amplifier in its class, way better than the than anything close to the price, demonstrably better and more organic than the latest 62/140 Naims at double the price. (Not that we did that dem very often........ :silenced: )

We sold a lot of systems in the Xerxes/RB300/ATOC7/OA21/ES14s mold, properly set up, a quite magnificent system for around £1500.



Edited to add photo.
 

Overdose

Well-known member
Feb 8, 2008
279
1
18,890
matt49 said:
Sorry that's a bit too serious, isn't it. Didn't realize the washing machine breaking down would affect my mood so much. Time for a beer and a bit of Sonus faber love.

:cheers:
If you're in the market for a new one, try ISE.
 

Macspur

Well-known member
May 3, 2010
77
0
18,540
davedotco said:
matt49 said:
davedotco said:
Many of our customers knew Tony (Mr Onix) pretty well, he would often hang out ot the shop and get the beers in later, he was a smashing bloke, if perhaps a little bit scatty business wise.

They kind of understood.
I guess that's one of the things about very small producers: customers will be more tolerant of their quirks, especially if like your Tony/Mr Onix they have a certain charm. On the other hand, this can also hold businesses back, if the charm of the producer allows him to get away with running a business chaotically. There's been rather a lot of that in the UK, although perhaps less so now.

Sorry that's a bit too serious, isn't it. Didn't realize the washing machine breaking down would affect my mood so much. Time for a beer and a bit of Sonus faber love.

:cheers:
You are quite right of course Matt, after all Onix virtually disappeared from the UK market a year or two later. They still exist, mainly servicing the export market but are virtually unknown in the UK these days.

Their amplifier of the day, The OA21 was fantastic, just under £400 at that time and easily the best amplifier in its class, way better than the than anything close to the price, demonstrably better and more organic than the latest 62/140 Naims at double the price. (Not that we did that dem very often........ :silenced: )

We sold a lot of systems in the Xerxes/RB300/ATOC7/OA21/ES14s mold, properly set up, a quite magnificent system for around £1500.



Edited to add photo.
Sorry to butt in, I had that Onix on loan while my Cyrus was being repaired and I didn't want to give it back... I've been searching for that SQ ever since, think I might have found it now though.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net
 

matt49

New member
Apr 7, 2013
51
0
0
Overdose said:
If you're in the market for a new one, try ISE.
Whoah, a washing machine recommendation! Is this a first for the WHF forum?

Looks like a great business model anyway, and Mrs49 will be interested as she has the "sustainability" brief for her company -- though I could count on the fingers of one hand the number of times she's been near the washing machine in the last five years.

Thanks, OD.

This is the most appropriate emoticon I could think of for washing machines -- :help:
 

matt49

New member
Apr 7, 2013
51
0
0
Macspur said:
Sorry to butt in, I had that Onix on loan while my Cyrus was being repaired and I didn't want to give it back... I've been searching for that SQ ever since, think I might have found it now though.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net
High praise! Must have been darned good.

:cheers:

Matt
 

davedotco

New member
Apr 24, 2013
20
0
0
matt49 said:
Macspur said:
Sorry to butt in, I had that Onix on loan while my Cyrus was being repaired and I didn't want to give it back... I've been searching for that SQ ever since, think I might have found it now though.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net
High praise! Must have been darned good.

:cheers:

Matt
It was indeed....... :grin:

Actually the Electo comparison is not at all a bad one, some amplifiers have a 'natural', 'organic' quality that somehow brings out the warmth and vibrancy of the music without the amplifier itself sounding at all warm. Nice rhythm too, pretty agile with none of that 'forced' quality endemic in Naim amplifiers of that period

It's a clever trick, an ability to make all kinds of music sound 'more real', thinking about it I would put it into that small group of integrated amplifiers that I really rate.

A sort of Onix > Sugden > Electrocompaniet > Devialet progression. Mind you I think it is fair to say that the OA21 would cost rather more than it's rather modest £389 price back in the early 90s and it is always difficult to compare older models to more modern offerings, great though it was in it's day.
 

matt49

New member
Apr 7, 2013
51
0
0
davedotco said:
Actually the Electo comparison is not at all a bad one, some amplifiers have a 'natural', 'organic' quality that somehow brings out the warmth and vibrancy of the music without the amplifier itself sounding at all warm. Nice rhythm too, pretty agile with none of that 'forced' quality endemic in Naim amplifiers of that period

It's a clever trick, an ability to make all kinds of music sound 'more real', thinking about it I would put it into that small group of integrated amplifiers that I really rate.

A sort of Onix > Sugden > Electrocompaniet > Devialet progression. Mind you I think it is fair to say that the OA21 would cost rather more than it's rather modest £389 price back in the early 90s and it is always difficult to compare older models to more modern offerings, great though it was in it's day.
Dave, no doubt you're right about the Electro amps belonging in this company, though the pedant in me is obliged to point out that Mac has an Electro CDP, and his amp is an Accuphase.

Mac, did you move on from the Cyrus/Onix to the Sugden?

Matt
 

DocG

Well-known member
May 1, 2012
54
1
18,545
matt49 said:
Hey, good man!

:clap:

But a whole week before you collect it? That's going to test your patience a bit. And what if the dealer gets burgled by that Balkan crime syndicate?

:cheers:

Matt
I found the time for a collect&go yesterday afternoon. The shop is being moved at this very moment, so it was a bit chaotic. But I've got my precious amp now!

I set it up yesterday evening. It sounded exceptional, cold out of the box! Even with my (very) modest Mission 760SE speakers. Been over the moon with it...

Well, until about an hour ago, actually. When updating the firmware, I noticed there is a custom set-up on the SD-card already (the shop's). And the outer cardboard box has a label stating it was sent on June 28th. 2013 :? And there is some slight discoloration on the top plate, probably due to the heat the amp produces.

I just called the dealer, and asked him straight away if he had sold me a demo amp instead of a new one. It could well be my imagination, but he sounded busted! He would check what could have happened, and will get back to me by tomorrow...

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm afraid not! Looks like he's part of the crime syndicate. I'm actually trembling with anger atm! :whack:
 

matt49

New member
Apr 7, 2013
51
0
0
DocG said:
I found the time for a collect&go yesterday afternoon. The shop is being moved at this very moment, so it was a bit chaotic. But I've got my precious amp now!

I set it up yesterday evening. It sounded exceptional, cold out of the box! Even with my (very) modest Mission 760SE speakers. Been over the moon with it...

Well, until about an hour ago, actually. When updating the firmware, I noticed there is a custom set-up on the SD-card already (the shop's). And the outer cardboard box has a label stating it was sent on June 28th. 2013 :? And there is some slight discoloration on the top plate, probably due to the heat the amp produces.

I just called the dealer, and asked him straight away if he had sold me a demo amp instead of a new one. It could well be my imagination, but he sounded busted! He would check what could have happened, and will get back to me by tomorrow...

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm afraid not! Looks like he's part of the crime syndicate. I'm actually trembling with anger atm! :whack:
Doc, very sorry to hear about what sounds like very shabby behaviour by the dealer. Of course, you'll have to get a new unit. The discoloration of the top panel sounds worrying, assuming it resulted from normal use. I haven't heard of that before. There could be some other reason for it; for instance, it could be a factory second, which the dealer got at a knock-down price for use as a demo model. Just speculating ...

On the positive side, at least you know that the Dev sounds great. And you have a unit to play around with until your new one arrives, which means you can start some serious speaker demoing.

Sounds like you need one of those nice Belgian beers.

:cheers:

Matt
 

CnoEvil

New member
Aug 21, 2009
556
8
0
DocG said:
I just called the dealer, and asked him straight away if he had sold me a demo amp instead of a new one. It could well be my imagination, but he sounded busted! He would check what could have happened, and will get back to me by tomorrow...

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm afraid not! Looks like he's part of the crime syndicate. I'm actually trembling with anger atm! :whack:
I think that you should insist on holding onto the one you have, until they get a replacement.....or ask for a substantial discount.

You are now seeing how a good source and amp can lift a pair of cheaper speakers
 

Macspur

Well-known member
May 3, 2010
77
0
18,540
matt49 said:
davedotco said:
Actually the Electo comparison is not at all a bad one, some amplifiers have a 'natural', 'organic' quality that somehow brings out the warmth and vibrancy of the music without the amplifier itself sounding at all warm. Nice rhythm too, pretty agile with none of that 'forced' quality endemic in Naim amplifiers of that period

It's a clever trick, an ability to make all kinds of music sound 'more real', thinking about it I would put it into that small group of integrated amplifiers that I really rate.

A sort of Onix > Sugden > Electrocompaniet > Devialet progression. Mind you I think it is fair to say that the OA21 would cost rather more than it's rather modest £389 price back in the early 90s and it is always difficult to compare older models to more modern offerings, great though it was in it's day.
Dave, no doubt you're right about the Electro amps belonging in this company, though the pedant in me is obliged to point out that Mac has an Electro CDP, and his amp is an Accuphase.

Mac, did you move on from the Cyrus/Onix to the Sugden?

Matt
No, I had the Naim Nait 5I before the Sugden.

Doc, sorry to hear of your problems, but you've done exactly the right thing. I'm sure it'll all work out for the best in the end and like Matt said, you've got something to demo those vivids with now.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net
 

DocG

Well-known member
May 1, 2012
54
1
18,545
matt49 said:
The discoloration of the top panel sounds worrying, assuming it resulted from normal use. I haven't heard of that before. There could be some other reason for it; for instance, it could be a factory second, which the dealer got at a knock-down price for use as a demo model. Just speculating ...
I've been thinking about this, and I might know what happened. When I demoed the amp, back in early July, I remember the plastic cover (to prevent it from being scratched, you know what I mean?) was still on the top plate. Keeping it untouched, the dealer hoped it to be an easier sale ex-demo. I guess the plastic has over time reacted with the aluminum, which gets rather hot, as it's used as a heat sink.

CnoEvil said:
I think that you should insist on holding onto the one you have, until they get a replacement.....or ask for a substantial discount.
Well, I'm inclined to keep this unit, and go for the substantial discount. I have two kids (4 and 8 years old), so chances are small I can keep it impeccable for more than a couple of weeks anyway... The discoloration could actually help me getting more off the price! What should I go for? 30%? 40%? Then again, the dealer might suspect I won't buy from him in the future anyway, so I'm not sure what he'll be willing to offer. We'll see...

matt49 said:
On the positive side, at least you know that the Dev sounds great. And you have a unit to play around with until your new one arrives, which means you can start some serious speaker demoing.
CnoEvil said:
You are now seeing how a good source and amp can lift a pair of cheaper speakers.
Oh man! It has been on non-stop since 8:00 a.m., CDs, internet radio and some Spotify. I still don't suffer listening fatigue, after 13 hours of exposure! Angus and Julia Stone are singing for me at the moment: it's just brilliant!

I think I should get used to the sound with the current speakers first, before I start the real speaker demoing. ATM it just sounds wonderful with about any speaker...
 

alimcd

New member
Feb 7, 2012
6
0
0
Your dealer would have to be bonkers to sell you the demo unit at 25% off. Mind you, that's pretty bonkers to expect you not to notice that it was a demo unit! Especially given he had put a custom config in it...

I haven't seen the discolouration before, although we did take the films of of our models pretty quickly.

A little birdy told me that the production is being stepped up and should be steady by the end of this month.

I appreciate that it must be agonising by now, but your new one will be just around the corner.

Not to rub it in, I had the pleasure of having a bit of time with the 500 today with Kef blades and then Magico S5's. Absolutely gobsmacking realism and pace. My home system seems worse every day, hope my numbers come up on the euromillions!
 

Macspur

Well-known member
May 3, 2010
77
0
18,540
DocG said:
matt49 said:
The discoloration of the top panel sounds worrying, assuming it resulted from normal use. I haven't heard of that before. There could be some other reason for it; for instance, it could be a factory second, which the dealer got at a knock-down price for use as a demo model. Just speculating ...
I've been thinking about this, and I might know what happened. When I demoed the amp, back in early July, I remember the plastic cover (to prevent it from being scratched, you know what I mean?) was still on the top plate. Keeping it untouched, the dealer hoped it to be an easier sale ex-demo. I guess the plastic has over time reacted with the aluminum, which gets rather hot, as it's used as a heat sink.

CnoEvil said:
I think that you should insist on holding onto the one you have, until they get a replacement.....or ask for a substantial discount.
Well, I'm inclined to keep this unit, and go for the substantial discount. I have two kids (4 and 8 years old), so chances are small I can keep it impeccable for more than a couple of weeks anyway... The discoloration could actually help me getting more off the price! What should I go for? 30%? 40%? Then again, the dealer might suspect I won't buy from him in the future anyway, so I'm not sure what he'll be willing to offer. We'll see...

matt49 said:
On the positive side, at least you know that the Dev sounds great. And you have a unit to play around with until your new one arrives, which means you can start some serious speaker demoing.
CnoEvil said:
You are now seeing how a good source and amp can lift a pair of cheaper speakers.
Oh man! It has been on non-stop since 8:00 a.m., CDs, internet radio and some Spotify. I still don't suffer listening fatigue, after 13 hours of exposure! Angus and Julia Stone are singing for me at the moment: it's just brilliant!

I think I should get used to the sound with the current speakers first, before I start the real speaker demoing. ATM it just sounds wonderful with about any speaker...
Great taste in music Doc G... Yep, if you're more than happy with the SQ at the mo, stick with it until you're ready.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net
 

alimcd

New member
Feb 7, 2012
6
0
0
Just re-read my post. I didn't want to sound indignant and scoff at a discount, just any devialet dealer without the range to demo would be shooting themselves in the foot. They really are the hot product at the moment!
 

DocG

Well-known member
May 1, 2012
54
1
18,545
alimcd said:
Just re-read my post. I didn't want to sound indignant and scoff at a discount, just any devialet dealer without the range to demo would be shooting themselves in the foot. They really are the hot product at the moment!
I could well be paranoid, but it might be an 'elegant' way to get rid of his 110, and get a 170 in the demo room instead: more likely the customers will go for the 170 they heard than for the 110 they didn't (with a 110 on demo, they may be happy with that, and not spend €2000 more -- not unlike myself)... Paranoid, I know... I should find me a decent doctor! :grin:

As for the new amps: the waiting list is till mid december here in Belgium now (or so my dealer told me).
 

DocG

Well-known member
May 1, 2012
54
1
18,545
Macspur said:
DocG said:
Angus and Julia Stone are singing for me at the moment: it's just brilliant!
Great taste in music DocG...

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net
I love it! I see on your blog that Julia's latest album is on Spotify: must check it out soon!

By the way, you've added quite some tips in the past few days. I think I'll send all your Spotify-listed albums thru the Dev in the coming days!
 

Macspur

Well-known member
May 3, 2010
77
0
18,540
DocG said:
Macspur said:
DocG said:
Angus and Julia Stone are singing for me at the moment: it's just brilliant!
Great taste in music DocG...

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net
I love it! I see on your blog that Julia's latest album is on Spotify: must check it out soon!

By the way, you've added quite some tips in the past few days. I think I'll send all your Spotify-listed albums thru the Dev in the coming days!
Excellent, please try and register and leave some comments and let me know what you think.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts