The Devialet thread

Page 34 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
matt49 said:
The Magtech was due to arrive this afternoon. It didn’t. So instead I cranked up the Devialet with a crappy ripped CD I’d bought from our local Oxfam shop: Leopold Mozart’s Hunt Symphony, total shite, complete with gunshots and barking dogs. And it sounded absolutely wonderful.

Go figure.

So it's about the music after all.....how totally shocking! *scratch_one-s_head*

Well, yes, in the sense that even rubbish can, ironically, sound great.

Also, note to self: hoover Martin Logans more often.

*crazy*

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
matt49 said:
CnoEvil said:
matt49 said:
The Magtech was due to arrive this afternoon. It didn’t. So instead I cranked up the Devialet with a crappy ripped CD I’d bought from our local Oxfam shop: Leopold Mozart’s Hunt Symphony, total shite, complete with gunshots and barking dogs. And it sounded absolutely wonderful.

Go figure.

So it's about the music after all.....how totally shocking! *scratch_one-s_head*

Well, yes, in the sense that even rubbish can, ironically, sound great.

Also, note to self: hoover Martin Logans more often.

*crazy*

I got rid of my hoover.

It was just collecting dust.......*dirol*

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
matt49 said:
Dave, check out my African playlist if you've nothing better to do than make weak puns.

*music2*

I do like a bit of of african though I havn't played much of late, quite a while actually.

Favourites included Salif Keita, Baaba Maal, Tiken Jah, Youssou N'Dour and if you fancy something different, Khaled.

Saw Khaled about 15 years ago, sang in french and arabic, absolutely stunning. I had absolutely no idea about north African music but this was brilliant.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
davedotco said:
matt49 said:
Dave, check out my African playlist if you've nothing better to do than make weak puns.

*music2*

I do like a bit of of african though I havn't played much of late, quite a while actually.

Favourites included Salif Keita, Baaba Maal, Tiken Jah, Youssou N'Dour and if you fancy something different, Khaled.

Saw Khaled about 15 years ago, sang in french and arabic, absolutely stunning. I had absolutely no idea about north African music but this was brilliant.

If you like rai and jazz: ever tried Rabih Abou Khalil?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
davedotco said:
matt49 said:

*music2*

I had never even heard of Rai before the concert, I looked at some stuff afterwards but this was a long time pre Spotify and I probably still had my vinyl system.

Thanks for the reminder, 'Blue Camel' now playing. I'm fairly sure that I have been here before, but not in any detail.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
DocG said:
davedotco said:
matt49 said:

*music2*

I had never even heard of Rai before the concert, I looked at some stuff afterwards but this was a long time pre Spotify and I probably still had my vinyl system.

Thanks for the reminder, 'Blue Camel' now playing. I'm fairly sure that I have been here before, but not in any detail.

All good stuff. It's been a while since I explored this serisouly.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm still waiting for the Sanders Magtech power amp to arrive. The dealer I'm borrowing it from seems a bit chaotic. Fingers crossed for next week.

Today I picked up a 200 Companion and am now running it in dual mono mode into the Martin Logans. That's 400W of Dev-power per channel. Initial impressions: it's the same smooth, dynamic, detailed Devialet sound, but it appears to present the mid-range and bass better at low volumes than the 200, and when the volume's cranked up it reveals a deeper and more 3-D soundstage. A deeper field of vision, so to speak.

I'm still hoping that the Magtech will come up trumps. It's £1.5K cheaper than the 200 Companion, and it'll mean I won't need a new amp for the Cremonas. Gulp!

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:
I'm still waiting for the Sanders Magtech power amp to arrive. The dealer I'm borrowing it from seems a bit chaotic. Fingers crossed for next week.

(...)

I'm still hoping that the Magtech will come up trumps. It's £1.5K cheaper than the 200 Companion, and it'll mean I won't need a new amp for the Cremonas. Gulp!

Hi Matt,

I thought Roger Sanders only sells factory direct, with a money-back guarantee that includes free shipping (back and forth) should you not like it. Did you look into that option too? Would it make a difference (price, guarantee, ...)?

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
matt49 said:

(...)

Hi Matt,

I thought Roger Sanders only sells factory direct, with a money-back guarantee that includes free shipping (back and forth) should you not like it. Did you look into that option too? Would it make a difference (price, guarantee, ...)?

Yes, you're right, but I thought that since there is a Sanders dealer in the UK, it might be easier that way. Turns out it's been a PITA. Anyway, apparently the Magtech is arriving on Tuesday, so a direct comparison with the D400 will still be possible.

*music2*

Matt

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Well, this D400 + Montis combo is pretty spellbinding.

Where it really shines is with large-scale orchestral music. I'm currently listening to Brahms 2 (Abbado/Berlin Phil). There's the amazing Dev + ESL quality of a massive and dynamic presentation backing up exquisitely fine and silky detail.

There was a spat elsewhere on the forum recently about whether speakers could be described as fast. (Of course they can.) Both the Montis and Dev have the gift of making the contours of a sonic envelope incredibly precise: sounds start and stop with breathtaking speed. This was supposedly one of the hallmarks of the 'flat-earth' sound. But 'flat-earth' systems bought speed at the cost of spaciousness and weight. This system delivers both.

The Magtech is going to have to do something amazing if it's to match the D400.

*yahoo*

Matt

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
matt49 said:
Well, this D400 + Montis combo is pretty spellbinding.

Where it really shines is with large-scale orchestral music. I'm currently listening to Brahms 2 (Abbado/Berlin Phil). There's the amazing Dev + ESL quality of a massive and dynamic presentation backing up exquisitely fine and silky detail.

There was a spat elsewhere on the forum recently about whether speakers could be described as fast. (Of course they can.) Both the Montis and Dev have the gift of making the contours of a sonic envelope incredibly precise: sounds start and stop with breathtaking speed. This was supposedly one of the hallmarks of the 'flat-earth' sound. But 'flat-earth' systems bought speed at the cost of spaciousness and weight. This system delivers both.

The Magtech is going to have to do something amazing if it's to match the D400.

*yahoo*

Matt

Hi Matt,

Had my Dev 200 a week now and still delighted with it. I'm surprised at how 'valvey' it sounds, but with a deep, defined, tight Bass that you just don't get with 'proper' Valve Amps. Whatever I play through it sounds excellent. Opera, Electronic, Chamber, Rock, - it doesn't matter. Even recordings I'd given up on for being too 'bright' or 'rough' are much more listenable. There's some serious magic going on in the Dev's DSP section IMO. Clean, clear, powerful and precise but with a hint of warmth that provides a sound that I struggle to switch off when it gets to bedtime....

I'm planning to 'Companion Up' next year, but I'm in no hurry as I'm enjoying the single Dev 200 so much.

I'm looking forward to your thoughts on the Magtech. I had some Martin Logans a while ago but couldn't get on with them. They seemed to project their sound right into my face and it felt really uncomfortable. (It didn't help that Mrs Loop hated the sight of them either....)

Have you fiddled around with any of the Tone settings on your Dev?

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Infinite,

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the Dev so much.

I fully understand some people don't get on well with Martin Logans, but I've become a true believer since I got mine in the summer.

I actually do use a bit of treble reduction in my system on some music, especially rock/pop. The tone controls in the Dev's DSP are implemented so well, there's no SQ loss at all.

If the Magtech works out well, I'll definitely be investing in a DSP box for it, maybe a DSPeaker Antimode. I've just bought a UMIK-1 calibrated USB microphone and plan to do some stuff with Room Equalization Wizard.

Matt

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:
If the Magtech works out well, I'll definitely be investing in a DSP box for it, maybe a DSPeaker Antimode. I've just bought a UMIK-1 calibrated USB microphone and plan to do some stuff with Room Equalization Wizard.

That's funny! I've just made up my mind. I'm going for a DEQX-module, with a pair of modified, active Maggies (Remember that thread from some time ago?)!

We're really chasing the same thing, aren't we, Matt?*drinks*

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
DocG said:
matt49 said:

That's funny! I've just made up my mind. I'm going for a DEQX-module, with a pair of modified, active Maggies (Remember that thread from some time ago?)!

Good plan, Doc.

Still enjoying the LS50s?

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:

As I type, I'm listening to one of Mac's fine suggestions through them (The National, Trouble Will Find Me -- thanks, Mac! *drinks*). These babies aren't going anywhere anytime soon! They fit the Devialet like a glove!

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
matt49 said:

Yes, I remember your active Maggie idea very well: a most excellent plan. The DEQX gives you the added benefit of Xover phase alignment, which will be a great benefit with the active Maggies. What do you plan to use for the amps? Class D?

How is your new house shaping up? You were having trouble with the builders, I think.

I had some communication with the people at Essence a couple of weeks ago, and I was on the verge of arranging a trip over to Amsterdam to hear them. My thought was that they'd look rather sleaker in the living room than my Montis. But the people at Essence are really poor at communicating, and then my interior designer said she didn't like the look of the Essences' aluminium side panels. She reckons the Montis have more design 'integrity'. I translate that as 'ugly but characterful'.

*shok*

Matt

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
DocG said:
CnoEvil said:

As I type, I'm listening to one of Mac's fine suggestions through them (The National, Trouble Will Find Me -- thanks, Mac! *drinks*). These babies aren't going anywhere anytime soon! They fit the Devialet like a glove!

Without trying to muck up your plans (well, maybe only a little), I think you should try some New Kef Refs with the Devialet before committing.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:
DocG said:
matt49 said:

Yes, I remember your active Maggie idea very well: a most excellent plan. The DEQX gives you the added benefit of Xover phase alignment, which will be a great benefit with the active Maggies. What do you plan to use for the amps? Class D?

Here's the link, if anyone's interested [I can do hyperlinks now, using the laptop instead of the iPad!].

* EDIT: NO I CAN'T, BECAUSE THE SPAM FILTER DOESN'T ALLOW LINKS, NOT EVEN TO OTHER THREADS ON THE FORUM! *

The plan has changed a little, since Peter Gunn only does the whole mod, including his passive XO. I don't want to use his XO, and it makes up the bigger part of the price. So I decided to order a pair of stock MMGs, have the frames made by my joiner (PG has put some basic guidelines, dos and don'ts on the net), and terminate them with 4 binding posts each. Should be doable. And this way I have more control over what the final result will look like. And it will be significantly less expensive too.

As for amplification, I first thought about a pair of Audiolab M-PWRs, or Naim NAP-100s. But ATM I have my eyes set on a well-preserved, second hand Classé CA-5100 (which leaves me with an extra amp channel, handy if I ever decide to add a centre speaker for the TV); I contacted the seller; I'm going to have a closer look (and listen) somewhere next week.

matt49 said:
How is your new house shaping up? You were having trouble with the builders, I think.
Well yes, the problem with the carpenter goes on (it's actually escalating), but we continue with the other contractors (they're flooring at the moment). So I still hope we can move house next summer... Fingers crossed!
matt49 said:
I had some communication with the people at Essence a couple of weeks ago, and I was on the verge of arranging a trip over to Amsterdam to hear them. My thought was that they'd look rather sleaker in the living room than my Montis. But the people at Essence are really poor at communicating (...)

Well, I have the same impression! Mr. Rappaport has promised me three or four times that the demo pairs were to arrive in Antwerp, but they still haven't. And it's been over a year since his latest prognosis... So I let go...

matt49 said:
(...) and then my interior designer said she didn't like the look of the Essences' aluminium side panels. She reckons the Montis have more design 'integrity'. I translate that as 'ugly but characterful'.

Euphemisms, don't you love 'em?*smile*

My architect had remarks and suggestions right away when she saw a picture of Peter Gunn's Maggies. And many of her observations made sense! Which is why we're going to do this by ourselves...

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
DocG said:
CnoEvil said:

Without trying to muck up your plans (well, maybe only a little), I think you should try some New Kef Refs with the Devialet before committing.

As I said, the Dev + LS50s are an excellent couple, and are a perfect fit for where I want to use them.

But for the living room set-up, where the necessary space is available, I want open baffle speakers. I'm smitten with the Quad ESL sound, but the 2812s are just too big; they would dominate the room. Magnepan 1.7s are too tall, the MG12s would fit, but their sound quality was disappointing. So modded MMGs it will be!

To be clear, I haven't heard the new Kef Refs. Then again, have you heard a good pair of properly driven Maggies yet, Cno?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
DocG said:
To be clear, I haven't heard the new Kef Refs. Then again, have you heard a good pair of properly driven Maggies yet, Cno?

No I haven't.

It is just my view that good credible alternatives should be heard (where possible), before deciding...if only to give peace of mind (when shelling out one's hard earned cash). I have heard great reports of Devialet + Blades and the New Refs would give a big taste of that. Up to this point, the Blades are the best speakers I've heard.

EDIT. BTW. I'm not trying to put you off your current path, but challenging you to make sure it's the right one.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I'm not trying to put you off your current path, but challenging you to make sure it's the right one.

I know that, Cno. And I really appreciate how in the past few years, you - and many others (you know who you are!) - broadened my horizon, encouraging me to try every hifi size and flavour available in the wide surroundings. It has been great fun! I started with the plan to get a Cyrus 6 with a pair of B&W 805s (and wondered if I would need a sub with those), and look where I am now!

But I feel like Aeneas, who left Troy many years ago, lived incredible adventures, and now has Latium within view. Time to conclude my wandering and take a decision!

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
DocG said:

No I haven't.

It is just my view that good credible alternatives should be heard (where possible), before deciding...if only to give peace of mind (when shelling out one's hard earned cash). I have heard great reports of Devialet + Blades and the New Refs would give a big taste of that. Up to this point, the Blades are the best speakers I've heard.

EDIT. BTW. I'm not trying to put you off your current path, but challenging you to make sure it's the right one.

I'd add in Focals too. Especially with Devialet(s). I know you're not that fond of them Cno, but with SAM on through a Devialet (or two! *diablo*), they are incredible. Massively detailed and transparent, deep, deep, tight, textured Bass and 'valvey' midrange. Huge 3D soundstage. They are never 'forward', edgy or intrusive. They just sound incredibly neutral and natural, maybe even slightly warm. My 1008Be's are great, but the Diablo Utopia's with a Devialet are in another league. They also look great, with masses of design integrity. - I know where my next spend is very likely to be. (I'm a Creative Director, so these things matter.....).

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
I'd add in Focals too. Especially with Devialet(s). I know you're not that fond of them Cno, but with SAM on through a Devialet (or two! *diablo*), they are incredible.

I hear you.....though what I like should be largely irrelevant....except to me, of course. *smile*

TRENDING THREADS