The definitive Ripping Software?

Lugs

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
New to taking seriously computer audio. Is there a definitive ripping software? I'm basically wanting to start all over again and want only to do this once. I've had a look at a few other threads and so if topic covered elsewhere a pointer would be appreciated. Thanks

John Duncan

Apple Lossless or FLAC are, to my mind, equivalent, but Apple Lossless is easier if you have or intend to have an iPod or AppleTV - FLAC is a bit more portable but doesn't work with iPod AFAIK. Whichever you use, make sure you get bit-perfect copies by using EAC or error correction in iTunes.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"]Apple Lossless or FLAC are, to my mind, equivalent, but Apple Lossless is easier if you have or intend to have an iPod or AppleTV - FLAC is a bit more portable but doesn't work with iPod AFAIK. Whichever you use, make sure you get bit-perfect copies by using EAC or error correction in iTunes.[/quote]

iTunes error correction isn't guaranteed bit-perfect AFAIK

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
dbPowerAmp is what I use to do my ripping. It has multiple pass encoding and uses AccurateRip to make sure that your rips are agree with others from around the world. Does all your album art and tags too. Heard a few niggly things about iTune's ripping so don't use it.

Lugs

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
so flac does not work on apple, didnt know that. And EAC is exact audio copy. So basically there is no definitive standard other than as a WAV(?) file.

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
To use FLAC on iTunes you have to do some voodoo to trick it. Other players are available to play FLAC files. WAV can be played on both PC and Mac but cannot be tagged and takes up a fair amount of space. You can convert FLAC to Apple Lossless and vice versa.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"]Guaranteed, no. But then what technology is?[/quote]

EAC in secure mode together with Accuraterip. Is essentially perfect.

Lugs

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Okay thanks everybody, I'll investigate further. Just feel I should give this SBDuet a fair chance after the bashing I took yesterday on the forum about how rubbish I thought it sounded (it really did sound rubbish and nothing even vaguely resembling what I consider to be hifidelity and thought source files should be first place to start before invest £200 on a digital cable on something that is essentially only £200 itself.

John Duncan

[quote user="fr0g"][quote user="JohnDuncan"]Guaranteed, no. But then what technology is?[/quote]

EAC in secure mode together with Accuraterip. Is essentially perfect.[/quote]

Have been investigating, and I get the point, but I'm not sure life isn't too short?

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"][quote user="fr0g"][quote user="JohnDuncan"]Guaranteed, no. But then what technology is?[/quote]

EAC in secure mode together with Accuraterip. Is essentially perfect.[/quote]

Have been investigating, and I get the point, but I'm not sure life isn't too short?[/quote]
I dont understand the comment?
There are a number of ways to rip a cd. One of them will give me as high fidelity files as is possible. Once it is set up the process is straightforward...
Put CD in drive. EAC checks freeDB. I select the rip option. CD is ripped with error report. The files are correctly named with tags, in a correctly named folder. If there are any errors, I check the CD, maybe wipe it a little and try again.
It takes me physically around 10 seconds to rip a CD. I let the computer do it while I browse.

John Duncan

OK, I just thought that from the description it was going to take a long time (checking your own rips with others, I mean). But I can't get to the EAC site just now, and apocryphally it appears to be windows-only, which is a bit of a bummer.

And I want to use iTunes and an iPod, which is also quite bummer-like.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
"quite bummer-like." Can i use that some time? I THINK theres instructions on the EAC site for apple types like yerself, once you can get on it. Sincere apologies if im wrong. in fact, the link may be in that mammoth thread of mine a few below this one.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"]OK, I just thought that from the description it was going to take a long time (checking your own rips with others, I mean). But I can't get to the EAC site just now, and apocryphally it appears to be windows-only, which is a bit of a bummer.

And I want to use iTunes and an iPod, which is also quite bummer-like.[/quote]

I create FLACs and transcode the ones she wants for my other halfs iPod. I personally think lossless is wasted listening to an iPod, or any other portable. I cant for one tell the difference between one of my MP3s and a lossless on such devices.
Oh and I use media monkey to organise the iPod too...far better than iTunes.

John Duncan

[quote user="al7478"]"quite bummer-like." Can i use that some time? I THINK theres instructions on the EAC site for apple types like yerself, once you can get on it. Sincere apologies if im wrong.
in fact, the link may be in that mammoth thread of mine a few below this one.
[/quote]

k, will have a look - if one can get them onto an iPod, then it has possibilities.

And yes, be my guest.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
I think you should google CD Paranoia. Forgot about the mac thing.

although a quick google gives me this...
http://geekwithfamily.com/2007/02/03/home-theater/convergence/exact-audio-copy-finally-works-on-a-mac/

John Duncan

[quote user="fr0g"][quote user="JohnDuncan"]OK, I just thought that from the description it was going to take a long time (checking your own rips with others, I mean). But I can't get to the EAC site just now, and apocryphally it appears to be windows-only, which is a bit of a bummer.

I create FLACs and transcode the ones she wants for my other halfs iPod. I personally think lossless is wasted listening to an iPod, or any other portable. I cant for one tell the difference between one of my MP3s and a lossless on such devices.

[/quote]

OK, but personally, I'd like a one-stop shop - ie something that is audiophile and doesn't need converting for iPod purposes (irrespective of whether one can tell the difference - I just don't want two copies). And while you mention OTs, there is the fact that my wife really couldn't be bothered using something else, now that she can do what she wants with iTunes

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"][quote user="fr0g"][quote user="JohnDuncan"]OK, I just thought that from the description it was going to take a long time (checking your own rips with others, I mean). But I can't get to the EAC site just now, and apocryphally it appears to be windows-only, which is a bit of a bummer.

[/quote]

OK, but personally, I'd like a one-stop shop - ie something that is audiophile and doesn't need converting for iPod purposes (irrespective of whether one can tell the difference - I just don't want two copies). And while you mention OTs, there is the fact that my wife really couldn't be bothered using something else, now that she can do what she wants with iTunes[/quote]

Fair enough ;) - Stick with iTunes with error correction. Its far better than WMP anyway ,). For the most part you wont notice any difference.
Even if my other half is a well paid IT person, she hasn't a clue how to use ANY of the ripping software, or a will to learn... So I do it all, and simply want the best I can get (even if 99% of the time there is no audible difference)...I guess it's the 'knowledge of perfection' that makes me happy :=)

John Duncan

[quote user="fr0g"]I guess it's the 'knowledge of perfection' that makes me happy :=)[/quote]

Yep, I'm the same with mains leads
emotion-2.gif

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"][quote user="fr0g"]I guess it's the 'knowledge of perfection' that makes me happy :=)[/quote]

Yep, I'm the same with mains leads
emotion-2.gif
[/quote]

So am I...

Lugs

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Eh? what did any of that mean? Duet still sounds like a rubbish radio? But glad u enjoyed the banter! Ripped a few cds at higher rate and had noticeable difference. Still sounds rubbish! Off to spend some cash on ebay on cables. I'm convinced i must be missing something for this level of enthusiasm on the forum.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts