The definitive Ripping Software?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

EAC is the one audiophiles harp on about. By default it'll rip to WAV. Be sure to enter your email address in the freeDB options and press alt+G to get track names when the disc is in.

You can use a program called AutoFlac in conjunction with EAC to rip straight to FLAC using EAC.
DBpoweramp seems to do it all in one go.
iTunes will rip straight to Apple Lossless and get your track names and artwork, and a nice interface to navigate.
I ripped my entire collection with EAC.
However, I recently ripped the same album with a few pieces of software and compared tracks, and I'm pretty sure there is no difference. Try it and see.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Lugs"]Eh? what did any of that mean? Duet still sounds like a rubbish radio? But glad u enjoyed the banter! Ripped a few cds at higher rate and had noticeable difference. Still sounds rubbish! Off to spend some cash on ebay on cables. I'm convinced i must be missing something for this level of enthusiasm on the forum.[/quote]

See my post in the hifi forum. Cables... dont spend too much, but I would advise on a DAC, Beresford or whatever.

A

Anonymous

Sod the cables.
Rip losslessly.
If you're still not happy get a DAC.
If you're still not happy upgrade the amps and speakers.
IMO the best solution for Sonos and Duet is to feed the digital output into AVI actives. Simple - effective.

A

Anonymous

Lugs - what system are you using?
Are you sure the Duet is outputting a fixed line out level? I think you need to look in the settings menu.
If this option isn't available be sure to set the Duet at max. volume. You want to do the volume control in the amp, not the SB.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="darrenwm1"]Sod the cables.[/quote]

I did want to say that, but he mentioned ebay, which suggests he is being sensible. Gothamor / Van Damme are a great upgrade to the rather poor supplied cables.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="fr0g"][quote user="darrenwm1"]Sod the cables.[/quote]

I did want to say that, but he mentioned ebay, which suggests he is being sensible. Gothamor / Van Damme are a great upgrade to the rather poor supplied cables.[/quote]

Yeh - a well made, screened, copper interconnect should suffice. Van Damme speaker cables are good VFM too.

Darren (who used to own expense cables)

Lugs

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I've got a sugden masterclass cdp. If your not familiar with the unit it has two digital inputs that can be connected via co-axial and thus use the onboard DAC and digital filters etc . However its away getting serviced at sugden. I have (2nd hand) TOTR chord cables throughout. (yes I did have more money than sense at one time, and of course there not worth the money) However the chord sig digital co-axial is around £160 on e-bay which trying not too sound arrogant is no big deal, about 1% of hifi system when cost new. (So "no" I really don't need to change any components). Anyway thanks for all the advice and I'll set up EAC etc and have a playaround. If results are promising I'll maybe even become convert as overall the idea is terrific and its the 21st century afterall.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Lugs"]I've got a sugden masterclass cdp. If your not familiar with the unit it has two digital inputs that can be connected via co-axial and thus use the onboard DAC and digital filters etc . However its away getting serviced at sugden. I have (2nd hand) TOTR chord cables throughout. (yes I did have more money than sense at one time, and of course there not worth the money) However the chord sig digital co-axial is around £160 on e-bay which trying not too sound arrogant is no big deal, about 1% of hifi system when cost new. (So "no" I really don't need to change any components). Anyway thanks for all the advice and I'll set up EAC etc and have a playaround. If results are promising I'll maybe even become convert as overall the idea is terrific and its the 21st century afterall.[/quote]

£160 on a digi coax is a complete waste of money. But if it makes you happy...

Lugs

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
All luxury items are a waste of money, never said it wasn't. But I don't see the point in buying cheap rubbish, you get what you pay for. Extravagant, decadent even but if I had could afford it I'd spend even more. A cheap interconnect would be a weak link in the chain and thus eventually I would have to buy something decent anyway and thus in effect waste even more money rather than doing it right in the first place? Enjoyed reading your other thread on comparing DACS. Keep up the good work.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Lugs"]All luxury items are a waste of money, never said it wasn't. But I don't see the point in buying cheap rubbish, you get what you pay for. Extravagant, decadent even but if I had could afford it I'd spend even more. A cheap interconnect would be a weak link in the chain and thus eventually I would have to buy something decent anyway and thus in effect waste even more money rather than doing it right in the first place? Enjoyed reading your other thread on comparing DACS. Keep up the good work.[/quote]

Cheers. Just to say, I have a £16 XLR cable pair between that and my £1300 amplifier, and £3/m speaker cable to the £900 speakers, and it sounds fantastic ,) Maybe I could get a small improvement with more esoteric cable, but I don't concern myself that way.

Lugs

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
yeah like your attitude to wire and of course £ for £ improvements can be made changing amplifiers etc rather than cables but i'm completely satisfied by the masterclass series of components I currently own (i've experimented with a few shall we say and I really can't fault them other than electricity costs) and after I decided to make a very serious investment on speakers I felt they deserved (albeit 2nd hand) good wire. I can't explain the improvement other than saying it made listening at lower volumes so much better. I'd still seriously recomend the chord signature speaker cable to anyone and recomend it above buying a new cdp anyday. Had quite a lot of fun with the pc this last few days but to be honest its still not quite right. cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts