Silly Idea?

HarpsC

Aug 21, 2023
Visit site
Hi.
I've been away from the world of hifi for a few years- the joy of kids!
I've started to look into things again to see what's out there.
Currently I have a Roksan Kandy Cd player and amp driving some B&W 683 S2s. I've also got an Audio Lab MDAC 800 that my wife bought me as a present a few years ago.
I've always longed for the Roksan Caspain CD player, amp and power amp and they've come down in price dramatically, probably because they're obsolete. But having heard this set up driving the 683's around 10 years ago I'm tempted to upgrade.
But, would this be an upgrade and is it a sensible use of money? Have things moved on so much that I'd be worth investigating my money on something different, more modern? My Kandy amp has Bluetooth, the Caspian doesn't, but I have the MDAC, although I'd don't ownApple products which it seems geared up for.
Any help, advice much appreciated.

Gray

My Kandy amp has Bluetooth, the Caspian doesn't, but I have the MDAC, although I'd don't ownApple products which it seems geared up for.
Any help, advice much appreciated.
Whatever else, don't let the lack of Bluetooth influence you. (If BT is that important maybe you could get a Zen Blue to put through the Caspian).

If I haven't misunderstood what you said, I can't see how the M-DAC might be more geared for Apple products.

If the desire to upgrade is a silly idea, then most of the people here are silly.

10 years ago, you liked the Caspian driving your very speakers, maybe it's time for an updated listen, especially since the price drop.
Only you can judge any real improvement and a home loan is the best way you could do that.

Reactions: Al ears

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I returned to Hifi after five years going AWOL.
The pace of change has been incredible and it's still a maze, you'll get conflicting advice, it's a bit like going on a blind date but at the end of the day, on the balance of what you heard from trusted websites and not so trusted, you just need to weigh up the consistency of the information.
I do think after the ten years absence, you need to look at it fresh.
What do you want from your HiFi, more of the same but something more up to date?
You may want to explore streaming.
Personally I would not worry about replacing your CD. Just play it until it drops.
If streaming is something you might consider get one that has an integrated DAC to stream line the costs.
I mentioned in a previous thread, if I had to start from scratch, I would seriously consider the Hegel 190, this combines the functions of an integrated amp, streamer and DAC. This isn't cheap £3k, not sure if this is within the threshold of your budget.
Ideally, speakers require actual listening. Not everyone has access to a showroom, again do the research and fingers crossed 🤞😊

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts