'The Best Decade For Music'

Gray

Hi-fi Choice online currently has a survey.
Only 276 people had voted, but I wasn't surprised to see the 70s in the lead.

(No doubt it depends a lot on the age of the voter, but soul / disco fans can only possibly vote for the 70s).

Reactions: WayneKerr

abacus

70s for rock and influential artists and albums, ( You can't just listen to odd tracks though as you need to listen to the whole album to get the best out of it) with the 80s & 60ss also giving high quality music and inspiration. (Although if you are streaming then you will miss the tactile feel and satisfaction of playing vinyl)
If you want to hear more live type music then anything from the 50s and previous decades are well worth a listen. (Studios were limited in those days so everything was more live)

Bill

Reactions: Gray and WayneKerr
Hi-fi Choice online currently has a survey.
Only 276 people had voted, but I wasn't surprised to see the 70s in the lead.

(No doubt it depends a lot on the age of the voter, but soul / disco fans can only possibly vote for the 70s).
There's been great music and tat in all decades, but two standouts:

1970s, especially the Soul/Funk/Disco stuff.

1990s. Music finally found some attitude missing in the 80s.

Reactions: JDL
Absolutey.

Can't comment on the 90s as, apart from the odd exception, I'd all but given up on it (even though I was still clubbin' 🕺).
The 90s was a love/hate thing for a few people, but most of the acts that emerged in 80s was drab. A lot of the 80s stuff I like are from artists who were popular in the 70s, such as Costello, Squeeze, Weller,, The Police and suchlike.

Really liked Big Country, in particular their 1983 album 'The Crossing'. And they were the support band to 'The Jam', who I saw at Wembley in late 82. Pure adrenaline-fuelled few hours. Wicked.

Last edited:

WayneKerr

Absolutey.

Can't comment on the 90s as, apart from the odd exception, I'd all but given up on it (even though I was still clubbin' 🕺).
When hip-hop/rap started dominating I switched off, I can't stand it! Give me the 80's anytime over the 90's onwards.
I do like it when newer singers/groups try to cover older favourites and fail miserably. Originals always tend to be the best, as today's singers just don't have the chops or abilities to recreate the magic of them.

jjbomber

Has to be the 70s. Stairway To Heaven, Freebird, Child In Time, Smoke On The Water, Supper's Ready, Kashmir, Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Bohemian Rhapsode, Comfortably Numb, Xanadu (Rush not ONJ), Stargazer, Starship Trooper, Layla, 2112, Paranoid, Whole Lotta Rosie.

Symples

Aug 12, 2021
Visit site
Surely the best decade for music is your teen/20s years.

I remember having a discussion with someone and remarked that the 80s were a great time for soul music.
She replied that she thought it was the 70s.
It then dawned on me that she was ten years older than me and the 70s were the best time for her.

I could never understand the love for rock 'n' roll music and how behind the times people were.
Of course I now play my 80s soul and told by my nieces how old fashioned I am.

Now I understand the love of rock 'n' roll :D

Gray

I remember having a discussion with someone and remarked that the 80s were a great time for soul music.
She replied that she thought it was the 70s.
It then dawned on me that she was ten years older than me and the 70s were the best time for her.
Well I reckon I could be the same age as her because I can see why she thought that.
Some would say that the true soul decade was the 60s though.

At 19 I was working as house engineer at the Top Rank in Brighton. In a month we could be subjected to live punk, heavy metal and old-style ballroom dancing. Everything between The Stranglers and the Victor Sylvester orchestra.

But it was the 'disco' nights that did it for me.
The place held 2,200 and watching a packed dance floor really enjoying the latest Salsoul and Philadelphia records - cemented my love of music.

I like talented playing of real instruments, so to me the likes of the drum machine was the beginning of the end of the very best.

abacus

Advancements in equipment and software is no excuse for bad music, (Trying to put the genie back in the bottle is fruitless) providing you use it as a servant with you in control of it, the problem occurs when you let it become the master and control you.

Bill

Reactions: Gray and WayneKerr

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
Been playing a heady mix of 90s music. Groups such as Semisonic "Feeling Strangely Fine" album, Sheryl Crow's self titled album, Nirvana "Unplugged In New York", Primal Scream "Screamadelic".
in my opinion the 70´s and the 90´s had a lot of quality bands recording great albums , not that i agree with your choices

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
Among the 80s dross that was New Romantics, there was this mob. One of the best live bands I've seen. I was at this concert about halfway back on the left. It was a boiling hot day.

View: https://youtu.be/EVR23t7dQMc
Big Country was one of the best bands of the 80´s ,also live they had good musicians. In my opinion the concerts sounded better than the studio lp´s but in the 80´s the albums production was very strange from horrible to very good, also great bands emerged in the 80´s but if to choose two i noticed that as i comented before ,the 70´s and the 90´s in terms of quality and great number of bands emerging and very good albums released also old artists that released for the first time since they split great new or live albums, but in all decades there were fantastic albums

Reactions: plastic penguin

roaduck

Jun 26, 2023
Visit site
I was brought up listening to allsorts - My Mum was a pianist in the Halle Orchestra. I love the 60`s and 70`s but my favourite decades were full of ragtime, swing, blues and boogie-woogie from 1910-1930.
I play trad, jazz-rock and blues on my tenor sax because it really cheers people up.

I love this beautiful Swedish talented lady called Gunhild Carling.
Go to 38 mins - she plays a double bass and a trumpet - no-handed - at the same time!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmdHRs6SKKM

I also love my 1970`s funk

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoULS9zBRYE&ab_channel=898106

And cowpunk

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcl8xx5tPbc&ab_channel=LoneJusticeVEVO

And fun

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r92XTMRy2gs&list=RDr92XTMRy2gs&start_radio=1&ab_channel=johnnymerrick

Last edited:

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Collecting music now for youngsters involves having around 50,000 tracks stored, on a hard drive or something like that I believe. Because I'm ignorant of how to do that, in fact I still haven't even worked out how to use an MP3 player, I'll stick with CDs. I'm happy enough with that.

Reactions: Revolutions

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Collecting music now for youngsters involves having around 50,000 tracks stored, on a hard drive or something like that I believe. Because I'm ignorant of how to do that, in fact I still haven't even worked out how to use an MP3 player, I'll stick with CDs. I'm happy enough with that.
It’s not even a hard drive anymore, it’s stored in the cloud…

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts