Technics is back!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
I think the 1200's cost about £450 in the mid 90's. Taking inflation into account that would be the best part of £1000 in today's money. Maybe?

I'd rather have an original SL1200 in good shape than 2 of those 1200Gs. ;)

D

Deleted member 108165

stevebrock said:
trying to work what market these are aimed at ?

As Vlad has said the Ltd Ed will probably go to wealthy DJ's so they can get it gold-plated and hang it on the wall.

As for the Std Ed I'm not sure either; unless they've been beavering away over the last five-years to make this a stellar performer in the price sector it's aimed at; there's an awful lot of competion out there that will wipe the floor with it if it's not. Or maybe I'm missing the point completely and this is aimed squarely at the vinyl spinning DJ's - if there's any of that animal actually left now!

As Al has already said it would nice to see them release a deck without all the ancillary DJ gubbins and a choice of arms.

Vladimir said:
Al ears said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
Agreed, the limited ones will disappear almost instantly, likely among wealthy DJs and those who think they're wealthy DJs. As for the Joe Blogs version - £4K will be stretching it, particularly against the quality of the competition at that price point.

AFAIAA all those wealthy DJ's went digital a long time back. It's the mad ones that'll buy turntables at these prices. :)

They won't buy it as a tool of the trade. More like a cult object.

There are far more than 1200 rich DJs in the world today. I doubt any of those 1200G's will show up in a real store. Everything will go in preorders and get celeb coverage in magazines. THEN they will sell boatloads of the 750 quid civilian version.

(if they are smart)

It's the 1200GAE that are the limited edition and the big standard 1200G will not be a lot cheaper apparently.

D

Deleted member 108165

steve_1979 said:
Al ears said:
It's the 1200GAE that are the limited edition and the big standard 1200G will not be a lot cheaper apparently.

Apparently not: http://www.whathifi.com/technics/sl-1200g/review

"We're told both models will cost the same, which is round $4000"

Are they having an effin joke here or what? :(

*shok* Stuff that! I'm off to find myself a nice belt drive *dirol* But it will be interesting to read the reviews when these finally come out.

DougK said:
steve_1979 said:
Al ears said:

Apparently not: http://www.whathifi.com/technics/sl-1200g/review

"We're told both models will cost the same, which is round $4000"

Are they having an effin joke here or what? :(

*shok* Stuff that! I'm off to find myself a nice belt drive *dirol* But it will be interesting to read the reviews when these finally come out.

That's exactly why I suggested they needed cables stripped down version.

Heck even my deck didn't cost that much...

stevebrock said:
Who the hell would pay that sort of money ?

You can a very nice Gyro with Tecnoarm for just over £2k - just why would you spend $4k

I am afraid only a very gullible person would. Especially if that 4000 dollars eventually equates to £4000 as it normally does.

Just source an old SL1210 and give it to these people with an additional £2900 and you could have a SL1200G beater!

http://www.soundhifi.com/sl1200/evo.html

D

Deleted member 108165

£2799. It'll be up against some very stiff competition at this price!

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
DougK said:
Probably $2800 to $3000 plus tax Stateside. Pitched against used original 1210s starting at around $1000 that leaves a huge chunk of change for a referbishment / service, tonearm and cartridge. It also comes at the price point of some fairly high end Rega, Pro-Ject etc. turntables.
Still a heck of a lot of cash for something to reproduce recordings with just a 66 dB range...

DougK said:

But the first batch sold out in Japan rather rapidly. I wonder when we will see any here.

EDIT: I see Peter Tyson have them at £2700, available "Summer 2016", as do HiFi Corner.

Still it's got to be better than my guesstimated £4000. :)

D

Deleted member 108165

Benedict_Arnold said:
It also comes at the price point of some fairly high end Rega, Pro-Ject etc. turntables.

My thoughts entirely...

D

Deleted member 108165

Al ears said:
But the first batch sold out in Japan rather rapidly. I wonder when we will see any here.

EDIT: I see Peter Tyson have them at £2700, available "Summer 2016", as do HiFi Corner.

The first batch were purely for the glitterati who have more money than sense. I guess this is aimed squarely at the DJ fraternity but I would so like to see a domestic version with all the DJ features ditched in favour of a decent tonearm; available in black with blue backlit controls/strobe, and circa £1500...... *ROFL*

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
DougK said:
Al ears said:

The first batch were purely for the glitterati who have more money than sense. I guess this is aimed squarely at the DJ fraternity but I would so like to see a domestic version with all the DJ features ditched in favour of a decent tonearm; available in black with blue backlit controls/strobe, and circa £1500...... *ROFL*

What about the Pioneer PLX-1000 or the Audio Technica AT-LP5 ...

http://www.whathifi.com/audio-technica/lp5/review

chebby said:
DougK said:
Al ears said:

http://www.whathifi.com/audio-technica/lp5/review

What about the Pioneer PLX-1000 ..........??

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
DougK said:
But it will be interesting to read the reviews when these finally come out.

I think they'll be very interesting indeed: a few magazines seem to have rediscovered the wonder of Technics when the people at Technics rediscovered their advertising budget.

And let's not forget the little white speakers WHF gave two stars or something recently did this:

121215-160100-600_0.jpg

and went on to get an absolute rave review over many pages inside, where they were more or less hailed as the best small speakers ever.

D

Deleted member 108165

chebby said:

PLX-1000, already got one of those. Bested by the Marantz in every department except looks. Guess the same could probably be said of the AT as all the Technics direct-drive clones are built by Hanpin. Same woes seem to affect all the clones, regardless of badging: wobbly platters, loose tonearm gimbal bearings, etc. Never thought I'd revert to a belt driven turntable but the Marantz has proved me wrong.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately, they'll not come back in full swing when they have to compete with 4 deck wizard:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=om19A7fY_wg

I love my mk 2s but no competition now although to mix on vinyl is more of a challenge to the pioneer cdjs unless you are using them like mr Roger S in the above link...

D

Deleted member 108165

Series1boy said:
Unfortunately, they'll not come back in full swing when they have to compete with 4 deck wizard:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=om19A7fY_wg

I love my mk 2s but no competition now although to mix on vinyl is more of a challenge to the pioneer cdjs unless you are using them like mr Roger S in the above link...

Sorry Series1boy but that was 58 minutes of kak for me; only watched about 60 seconds of it.... WTF! I'm too old for this kinda stuff man.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts