Technics is back!

• Thread starter Deleted member 108165
  • Start date

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully it will be the real deal and not another super OEM turntable as you say. The new motor makes me think it could be though. I wonder how much the non limited edition SL-1200G will cost.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I doubt it'll be cheap. The old £330/350 price was a squeeze, as there was virtually no margin for the dealer, and even then, I heard rumours that it was still expensive for Technics to produce. Ignoring the pricing of their crazy price separates, I can't see this being any cheaper than around £750 if they're going to do it properly, and could well be anything up to the £1k price point.

I guess it was on the cards for some time. Well done Technics.

Now if they sell it at a realistic price and without a cheapo cartridge I am sure it will do well.

They are, however, very late into the fray so we'll have to wait and see as there are plenty of rivals this time round.

D

Deleted member 108165

chebby said:
[url="http://images.cdn.whathifi.com/sites/whathifi.com/files/styles/big-image/public/brands/news/2015-Sept/technics_sl1210_review2.jpg?itok=q5WrsoEJ" said:
back in 2005[/url] the SL1210 Mk5G was £550 according to the WHF? review.

I've been tracking a MK6 on the Bay that's up for nearly £800... used! *crazy*

D

Deleted member 108165

Al ears said:
Yep, I think they'll be over a grand and up against some good 'uns at that price.

Especially so if they don't come with a cartridge fitted, (as most DJ decks don't these days). I know it's the mighty Technics but pricing will be the key.

D

Deleted member 108165

steve_1979 said:
Hopefully it will be the real deal and not another super OEM turntable as you say. The new motor makes me think it could be though. I wonder how much the non limited edition SL-1200G will cost.

Guess we'll find out when the specs are released, and country of manufacture! If it's China then it'll be a Hanpin!

Like you I'm not sure who this is aimed at, the DJ fraternity or will it cut the mustard as an audiophool deck?

More info from Technics here, but nothing on pricing.

http://www.technics.com/global/introduction/hifi-direct-drive-turntable-system-sl-1200gae/?utm_source=eloqua_audience-all&utm_medium=email&utm_content=newsletter/link-technics-sl1200-launch&utm_campaign=Newsletter_012016_Technics_SL1200_CES

Apologies, can never seem to post as a link from this tablet. :-(

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Seems to me its the real deal !

Thought about it and got a little nostalgic as I used to own a Silver SL200 MK2 - however I would have absolutely no need for Pitch control !

Must say its looks quite nice but compared to a Black Gyro then there is no competition !

D

Deleted member 108165

stevebrock said:

Thought about it and got a little nostalgic as I used to own a Silver SL200 MK2 - however I would have absolutely no need for Pitch control !

Must say its looks quite nice but compared to a Black Gyro then there is no competition !

I must admit Steve that I've been looking through misty eyes of late at the Michell's. Gyro and Orbe both look amazing, but for my paltry collection of 30 "pop" LP's I guess either of these decks would be overkill or sheer stupidity for me *wacko* . What do you think?

D

Deleted member 108165

steve_1979 said:
It does look damn smart with the metal finish.

In my case it would also have to be available in a black finish *dash1*

D

Deleted member 108165

From the released images it certainly looks like it Vlad.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
DougK said:
stevebrock said:

I must admit Steve that I've been looking through misty eyes of late at the Michell's. Gyro and Orbe both look amazing, but for my paltry collection of 30 "pop" LP's I guess either of these decks would be overkill or sheer stupidity for me *wacko* . What do you think?

sheer indulgence - get one !

Although I understand the two being issued will have tonearms of different materials I do hope they do an armless version as, although the old deck was quality, I was never too convinced by their arms. Which is probably why you see a lot with Rega / SME's fitted.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Hmm. It's a new motor design, not revamp on the old one. I don't expect it to be better than the old one, just as good will be amazing to achieve. If it's better that would be insane.

The SL-1200 series was developed as a special project by Technics parent company Matsushita in an attempt to solve many of the problems related to the difficult task of turntable design. The task included minimizing acoustic feedback, unwanted resonances, wow & flutter and speed errors.

This was achieved by designing a remarkably heavy plinth made of a non-resonant composite sandwiched between a cast alloy top plate and a solid rubber base. In addition, the adjustable rubber-damped feet ensure that the Technics SL-1200 series are well-insulated against acoustic feedback, which can be a serious problem when operating a turntable in close proximity to PA loudspeakers (a common situation for DJs).

The drive system designed by Matsushita is of the direct-drive variety rather than the more commonly found belt-drive type. This design was developed in order to virtually eliminate the problems of wow and flutter and produces a very quiet turntable which, for a direct-drive turntable, has minimal motor and bearing noise, (although the bearing rumble does tend to become characteristic in well-used turntables). This was partially achieved through the fact that the SL1210/1200 was the first (and only) turntable to actually make the platter a part of the motor mechanism as opposed to just being attached to it via screws or magnets as is the case with most direct-drive turntables. On the underside of the platter there is a large magnet which, once placed over the spindle, surrounds the coils and forms the motor drive thus eliminating loss through power transfer. The SL-1200 utilizes a Frequency Generator Servo Control Quartz Lock system that is claimed to produce the most accurate and consistent speed possible. The system is immune to static and dynamic stylus drag which would otherwise cause unwanted speed variances that change the pitch and tempo of the music.[11] Due to these strengths the SL-1200 lends itself to both Hi-Fi reproduction and demanding DJ usage.

DDVHS208.jpg

stevebrock said:
DougK said:
stevebrock said:

sheer indulgence - get one !

I concur. How else are you going to get mesmerized by those spinning weights? :)

You can then ditch those pop albums and buy some decent vinyl, thus justifying the cost of your new deck. :)

That looks to be the one from the 'washboard' Panasonic / Technics deck, seen here:-

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=New+Technics+Turntable&view=detailv2&&id=6F052E443A069F860754522FD4183BD739171C0D&selectedIndex=9&ccid=HAK4c4Dd&simid=608006197023279640&thid=OIP.M1c02b87380dda71e011de095189d02c9o0&ajaxhist=0

However I guess it will be the same one used in the 1200

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts