Technics is back!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:

That looks to be the one from the 'washboard' Panasonic / Technics deck, seen here:-

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=New+Technics+Turntable&view=detailv...

However I guess it will be the same one used in the 1200

Yup.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
Vladimir said:
Al ears said:

That looks to be the one from the 'washboard' Panasonic / Technics deck, seen here:-

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=New+Technics+Turntable&view=detailv...

However I guess it will be the same one used in the 1200

Yup.

I think I'd seriously consider getting one if priced right..... roll on summer.
Same here.

D

Deleted member 108165

Al ears said:
I concur. How else are you going to get mesmerized by those spinning weights? :)

You can then ditch those pop albums and buy some decent vinyl, thus justifying the cost of your new deck. :)

*ROFL* Excellent!

Changing a turntable is one thing but changing my taste in music would be almost impossible to do at my age...

D

Deleted member 108165

Not sure where this Grand Class is going to fit in the current line-up. Technics currently have two classes: Premium and Reference; my guess would be below the Premium, therefore an entry level system. The Grand Class range of products are all appearing this year so I guess we'll have to keep our eye on the release of the Network Audio Amplifier SU-G30 and see what price point they decide to enter this at as this will be an indicator for the deck.

I seriously doubt any of this is going to much under a grand per box as Technics (Panasonic) appear to have reinvented themselves as a luxury brand.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
DougK said:
steve_1979 said:
It does look damn smart with the metal finish.

In my case it would also have to be available in a black finish *dash1*

Me too but you've gotta love that shiny metal even if you're only admiring it from a distance with no intension of buying one.

I've gone for a black SL1210 Mk2 because it matches everything else here and looks better then the grey SL1200 Mk2.

DougK said:
Not sure where this Grand Class is going to fit in the current line-up. Technics currently have two classes: Premium and Reference; my guess would be below the Premium, therefore an entry level system. The Grand Class range of products are all appearing this year so I guess we'll have to keep our eye on the release of the Network Audio Amplifier SU-G30 and see what price point they decide to enter this at as this will be an indicator for the deck.

I seriously doubt any of this is going to much under a grand per box as Technics (Panasonic) appear to have reinvented themselves as a luxury brand.

Confusing isn't it, whilst their classes would appear relevant when it comes to amps and cdp etc., none includes a turntable. I believe this will be top of the range whatever they call it. Grand class will be just that, ruddy expensive.

There is no way Grand is going to come below Premium......

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
So I guess that it's not aimed at DJs then? I can image all of the comfortably rich middle class hipsters getting their credit cards ready. Who are they kiddin'? It's a missed opportunity. They'll probably only end up selling a few thousand. They'd be better off putting the 1200 Mk2 back into production and charging between £500-£1000. They'd sell millions of them no problem.

D

Deleted member 108165

steve_1979 said:
So I guess that it's not aimed at DJs then? I can image all of the comfortably rich middle class hipsters getting their credit cards ready. Who are they kiddin'? It's a missed opportunity. They'll probably only end up selling a few thousand. They'd be better off putting the 1200 Mk2 back into production and charging between £500-£1000. They'd sell millions of them no problem.

Review states $4000US but I guess by the time it lands in the UK it will be £4K. Agree with you, a missed opportunity indeed. Probably is aimed at DJ's - the wealthy ones. At this price there are a lot of far better turntables from the competition out there, (and as Al said earlier, the tonearm has always been the Technics weak spot - hopefully they have addressed this).

I may just get one though... in about 20 years, on the secondhand market *biggrin*

PS. Just read on another forum that the $4K is probably for the Limited Edition version; but I somehow doubt the std version will be massively cheaper.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
It was never aimed at the mass market like some 1970s DDs (stamped out of recycled yoghurt carton plastic and plonked on top of some shakey 'rack system' with no attempt at set-up) but it was aimed at the mid-fi market to be used by enthusiasts.

$4K (or £4K) is not mid-fi so this can only be (a ) a cynical gouging of the affluent and nostalgic, or (b ) a true 'slayer of high-end TTs' dressed up cleverly as a mid-priced 1970s direct drive and DJ favourite.

I suspect (a ) is more likely.

As it stands it would appear to be overpriced and over equipped. I cannot see a DJ spending this sort of money on one when second-hand old models are still available, also I cannot see any serious audiophile buying all that DJ stuff on a deck either, particularly looking at the opposition in this price bracket.

What I would suggest to Technics is, knowing how good their direct drive motor is, bring out a third model. Strip off all that DJ slider stuff, the unnecessary flashy lights, and the tonearm, then sell it at a realistic price (say in the region of £1200 which sounds a nice number :) )

D

Deleted member 108165

I like your take on the pricing Chebby *biggrin*

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
It's bigger than a bloody Prius engine.

technics_sl1200g2.jpg

technics_sl1200g1.jpg

4 grand. Probably 2500 street price in year 2. I'm not surprised considering it will sell at any price. Also build quality compared to other 4 grand TTs is certanly up to par if not beyond (if the remake is as good or better than the original).

D

Deleted member 108165

Agreed Al. A nice DD turntable without all the DJ garb would be good. Though I am rather fond of the cue light, strobe, removeable headshell and adjustable VTA, but I guess one has to make sacrifices in the pursuit of hi-fi.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
 They'll probably only end up selling a few thousand.

Not even that many of them. This is the limited edition model where only 1200 units are being made. We can scoff all we want but these limited edition units are aimed at rich collectors, I doubt they will have many problems shifting them to be honest.

The mainstream model appears later this year.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
steve_1979 said:
They'll probably only end up selling a few thousand.

Not even that many of them. This is the limited edition model where only 1200 units are being made. We can scoff all we want but these limited edition units are aimed at rich collectors, I doubt they will have many problems shifting them to be honest.

The mainstream model appears later this year.

Top DJs like Armin Van Buren and Tiesto will buy 2 each. They will vanish like free donuts in a police station.

I was one of the 27,699 petition signatures on change.org for returning the SL-1200 back. But I wasn't hoping for a limited collector's product but the real deal at affordable prices and with the same military spec precision and build quality.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Agreed, the limited ones will disappear almost instantly, likely among wealthy DJs and those who think they're wealthy DJs. As for the Joe Blogs version - £4K will be stretching it, particularly against the quality of the competition at that price point.

David@FrankHarvey said:
Agreed, the limited ones will disappear almost instantly, likely among wealthy DJs and those who think they're wealthy DJs. As for the Joe Blogs version - £4K will be stretching it, particularly against the quality of the competition at that price point.

AFAIAA all those wealthy DJ's went digital a long time back. It's the mad ones that'll buy turntables at these prices. :)

David@FrankHarvey said:
£500-750 would sensible and attainable.

Quite possibly, you can pay this for second-hand old versions, however even with a stripped down version I don't see Technics being able to produce them for that money.

If they took all the DJ tweaks off and sold one armless for £1200 then I might show a bit more interest.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
David@FrankHarvey said:

AFAIAA all those wealthy DJ's went digital a long time back. It's the mad ones that'll buy turntables at these prices. :)

They won't buy it as a tool of the trade. More like a cult object.

There are far more than 1200 rich DJs in the world today. I doubt any of those 1200G's will show up in a real store. Everything will go in preorders and get celeb coverage in magazines. THEN they will sell boatloads of the 750 quid civilian version.

(if they are smart)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts