Team / Anyone: Philips 7404 and 9664 test winner?

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Nick_Shepherd:
Does anyone know if these share the same panel?

It may be similar, but the more upmarket 9664 model has the Perfect Pixel HD Engine, Perfect Natural Motion and a host of other additional tech features over the 7404, as you can see in this comparison chart.

j4mm3r

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
interested to know how Pixel precise HD compares to the more expensive Perfect Pixel HD engine, as the new lower range philips look very good value subject to performance

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Posted the other day ref Pana 42G10 vs Sony 37W5500. Viewed both sets at Richer Sounds, but read threads regarding the Philips 7404 (which was not available for demo purposes at Richer when I went in) and now not sure whether to hang on? Phiips set can currently be got for £804 at Amazon (£20 more than the Pana at Richer, but who's going to quibble about a measly 20 bucks). Anyone own the Philips set and can advise on its merits? No reviews anywhere online and feel I may be missing out on a bargain if I don't audition one? Was sold on the Pana until yesterday, but now confused again!!! Philips supertest winner looks great, but more than I can afford.

markiedee

Feb 24, 2009
Visit site
hi i own the philips 47pfl7404 and its the best tv that i've owned to date colours are rich motion is spot on and sd content on this tv is very very good watching blurays is something else if you look hard enough you will come across this tv in discussions couldn't reccommend this tv more.

A

Anonymous

Hi Andy,

Have you seen the 42PFL7404 yet?

If so, you valued opinion please?

Keep up the good work,

Steve

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Just auditioned the 7404 at Richer Sounds. IMHO, the TV drags up bags of detail, has great contrast levels for an LCD, but the picture just didn't look natural and noise was noticable, even with blu ray. It's still a good TV, and, as with many Philips sets, you may be able to eradicate the issues mentioned above with extensive tweaking. WHF reviewers may get the best out this set once it's propoerly calibrated, but there was a limit to the extent I could play about with it in the store. With the Wall E blu ray the 7404 was fantastic, but the second I changed from animation to live action the Philips just didn't convince me. In the end, erred on the side of caution and walked away with a Panasonic G10 plasma -- for its better handling of motion, deeper blacks and more natural/neutral reproduction of colour. 7404 definitely merits an audition, though...

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Nick_Shepherd:Was he off sick today Andy??

Turns out we're testing the Philips 32PFL7404 in our November issue, on sale September 16th. All will be revealed then.
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

hi strapped , did you get the g10 for £779 ? good choice by the way..

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
It's £769 now (only a tenner less, but that's 2-3 pints down the pub to absorb the shock of the outlay). I got the 5 year extended warranty as well, so paid just under £840 and walked away a happy man. Now, if Amazon would just deliver that hdmi lead...

A

Anonymous

strapped for cash:It's £769 now (only a tenner less, but that's 2-3 pints down the pub to absorb the shock of the outlay). I got the 5 year extended warranty as well, so paid just under £840 and walked away a happy man. Now, if Amazon would just deliver that hdmi lead...
i think thats fantastic value , why someone would pay almost double that for a phillips lcd i do not know ...

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Seeing is certainly believing, though the more fiscally challenged of us just have to accept certain compromises. Hope the Novemer issue doesn't reveal that the 7404, once the picture's fully tweaked, is the bargain of the century (if only for my sake)... As a new member, great forum, by the way.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Glad you enjoy the Forum
emotion-2.gif

One point to make re different pricing for TVs: for the past few years, we've recommended both budget and premium options in our TV Awards categories at the key set-sizes (eg Best Budget 40-42in set; Best Premium 40-42in set). We will do so again this year!

A

Anonymous

i think the g10 could take both budget and premium honours , as it costs only £769 it should walk the budget catagory , and , even if price wasnt a factor , i think its up there with the best lcd , led , plasmas anyway , i cant think of a better 42inch tv ...

Nick_Shepherd

Feb 14, 2008
Visit site
Claire - Thanks for that, I hadnot seen the news re philips pricing.

Will wait a bit as the prices online are still higher. If the dealers drop the price in line and maybe go another few hundred (£1,300 ish) I would be bale to do that!

That would be happy days then!

I'll keep a keen eye on prices over the next week. I know you know I have looking for a TV for months!

A

Anonymous

The re philips pricing is definitely good news
emotion-1.gif
Its always nice to save a couple hundred of pounds. Thanks for the info Claire

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts