I'm bored with hi-fi.

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I periodically strip my system down, clean all nooks & crannies including rear panels, examine all cables then reassemble. Always sounds better. My listening 2 seater tends to get pushed backwards that reduces bass so I push it forward again.
Another possibility is to explore an entirely new genre of music. I'm fast approaching 70 but am listening to a much broader range of music compared with say 10-20yrs ago.

Reactions: nopiano
Yeah, it works to a point. Because they play music alien to me I get bored after a while.

Given you run your own audio outlet, do you not get fed up with music? Another reason I couldn't work in a hi-fi shop.

It's like when I worked in a professional kitchen I got bored with cooking.
The last few years I haven't really listened to music at home, I keep it for work so that it's not constant - music at work, films at home. Although that will change shortly...

Reactions: plastic penguin

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Wow, that's extreme Gray.

More into my cars at the moment. My Alfa is in the garage to have the front brake discs and pads renewed (MOT advisory).

Next week I'm going to look at a Lotus for sale.

I haven't even used the Dac for weeks. So unme like.
You really enjoy classic cars. What about trying some ‘classic’ old hifi? Doesn’t have to be expensive gear.

Dual CS-505, JVC JAS11G, Videoton Minimax IIs for example. Perfect late 1970s budget gear that you can still get in good nick.

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Maybe the music some folks listen to, gets boring. If so it's not the kit that's at fault. After all, the Hi-Fi is only there, really, to do the job of playing music. If it does that job well, then why would someone get tired of it.

Reactions: DougK1

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
We all have different interests and to say HIFI is boring is a bit of a generalisation and an empty statement to say the least. If anyone does find HIFI boring, it's probably not a good idea for them to join and start posting stuff on a HIFI forum.

I've always loved music, so it makes sense I have a deep interest in HIFI and the modern technology it's based on. I think you can only enjoy music if it's delivered at decent quality.

I have a great sounding system and probably won't upgrade, even if have the funds to actually buy the stuff I recently wanted. I know I'd need to spend much more than my current system cost, to achieve an appreciably better sound.

Football is incredibly boring to me and it amazes me how some people base their entire lives around it and it becomes an obsession in many cases, leading to aggression and a level of rivalry which often leads to fights and many social issues. Kicking a ball round a field for 90 minutes seems the most boring thing I can imagine, with rugby probably coming a close 2nd.
I'll have to add Cricket to the mix. Now that, really is boring in the extreme.

You really enjoy classic cars. What about trying some ‘classic’ old hifi? Doesn’t have to be expensive gear.

Dual CS-505, JVC JAS11G, Videoton Minimax IIs for example. Perfect late 1970s budget gear that you can still get in good nick.
Hello Mr. Chebby.

Often toyed with vintage hi-fi, Pioneer in particular, as they were good VFM. No doubt the prices have shot up like most things. The only thing that puts me off is you're unsure of their history.

Certainly worth a little more research.

Cheers.

Entrigo

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
Hmmm! Why? The sound system, whatever it is is just a means to play tunes. You seem happy with the system, so some new music, perhaps a new genre, or revisit stuff you've not listened to for a while, might be the ticket.

I've rediscovered music after going through a dip in playing a while back. I have a fairly eclectic taste in music but I listened to some stuff new to me, or stuff I had not listened to ages, and was re-invigorated.

I guess my CD and LP collection has increased by a couple of hundred in the past 2 of years. The "other-half" actually bought me a Kallax unit to handle the overflow of LPs (need something for the stacks of CDs by the bed!) ..and I also stream for music discovery.

The thing I do enjoy is putting on e.g. some quiet chamber music and reading at bedtime. I probably read 3 or 4 books last year. With the new regime this year, I am up to 12.

Basically, I don't think the problem is resolved by new kit. I think it is the musical and lifestyle rut you are in that needs addressing. 🤔
Same 🤣. My wife “gifted” me a Kallax unit as my records multiplied by probably 5/6 in the last couple of years - had a pretty long period in which I had lost a bit of interest in music - just playing it through Spotify on my cheap PC speakers (since upgraded to a decent pair).

Reactions: DCarmi

Friesiansam

Au contraire mon ami, some of the greatest moments in sporting history have been witnessed on the cricket field.
I'm with JDL on this, watching cricket is on the same level as watching a grass growing competition...

Last edited:

Leon74

Apr 8, 2024
Visit site
Same 🤣. My wife “gifted” me a Kallax unit as my records multiplied by probably 5/6 in the last couple of years - had a pretty long period in which I had lost a bit of interest in music - just playing it through Spotify on my cheap PC speakers (since upgraded to a decent pair).
Consider Deezer. It's unique "Flow" function keeps you so much more interested. Maybe now Spotify has something similar but when I tried Spotify a long time ago the music discovery function was lightyears away from Deezer's Flow.

Best solution when streaming with a PC is through a DAC. In the room where I stream I have only connected it to a very modest Philips compact Hifi set and with a DAC between it and the PC the sound is quite enjoyable for pop music though the set up has its limitations of course.

Reactions: Entrigo

Gray

It certainly can be.
I'm really no sport fan at all.
However, I once switched channels and there was, of all things, a women's cricket match on - can't even remember who was playing, but I started watching......

They were wacking 4s and 6s all over the place and the match was decided in the last over - I think it went to the last ball - I couldn't turn it off.
Real entertainment. I was surprised.

Never been interested in cricket before, certainly hasn't converted me - but I do hear people saying that the one day games can be less boring.

Reactions: DougK1

Leon74

Apr 8, 2024
Visit site
It certainly can be.
However, I once switched channels and there was, of all things, a women's cricket match on - can't even remember who was playing, but I started watching......

They were wacking 4s and 6s all over the place and the match was decided in the last over - I think it went to the last ball - I couldn't turn it off.

Never been interested in cricket before, certainly hasn't converted me - but I do hear people saying that the one day games can be less boring.
Then I suppose it were the women, making you watch cricket, Gray? :giggle:

I don't use to, but I can tolerate watching a bit of gymnastics and boxing, but soccer bores me to the extreme - as a teenager though I would sometimes watch it for a couple of minutes, just for some handsome soccer players. Well, let's say "extremely handsome", just "handsome" would not be enough to make me watch soccer, as I could not care less about the game.

Reactions: Gray

Friesiansam

It certainly can be.

To me, both cricket and football are as boring as a boring thing that’s boring, from Boringland.

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
It certainly can be.

Yes, I understand and admit that I've watched golf and enjoyed it, football too and tennis but that was many moons ago ha ha. But bloody hell, women's cricket. Now that's taking it a bit too far ain't it? 👍🏻

Reactions: Gray and DougK1
Have to say, since using the hi-fi a lot less (switch on 2-3 times a week on average) I have a renewed appreciation of what my kit does.

I can only point that towards Covid as it was hardly ever off during the lockdowns. Musical overdose, call it what you will but I've regain the zest which had been slowly eroded.

One thing I do know is I don't get as excited with new kit compared to 10-20 years ago. It's probably age and prioritising different aspects in life that was never there before.

Entrigo

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
Consider Deezer. It's unique "Flow" function keeps you so much more interested. Maybe now Spotify has something similar but when I tried Spotify a long time ago the music discovery function was lightyears away from Deezer's Flow.

Best solution when streaming with a PC is through a DAC. In the room where I stream I have only connected it to a very modest Philips compact Hifi set and with a DAC between it and the PC the sound is quite enjoyable for pop music though the set up has its limitations of course.
Will give it a go. Spotify suggestions now are pretty good - discovered a lot of new bands. Though, that said, it misses quite a few; my brother in law has fairly similar tastes and we regularly exchange notes on new bands. It often happens that Spotify suggests a band really up my “genre street” to my brother in law but not to me and viceversa.

Reactions: Leon74

R2D2

Apr 17, 2024
Visit site
Have to say, since using the hi-fi a lot less (switch on 2-3 times a week on average) I have a renewed appreciation of what my kit does.

I can only point that towards Covid as it was hardly ever off during the lockdowns. Musical overdose, call it what you will but I've regain the zest which had been slowly eroded.

One thing I do know is I don't get as excited with new kit compared to 10-20 years ago. It's probably age and prioritising different aspects in life that was never there before.
Same here, I have been using Bluetooth a lot less and using CDs more and for me the sound is so much more better. Real kick arse stuff.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts