I'm bored with hi-fi.

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
In my view, providing you have the right combination of equipment, which does not, I will add necessitate spending a fortune, I fail to see, or hear, to put it more accurately, how one could get a better sound than via the humble CD.

Friesiansam

In my view, providing you have the right combination of equipment, which does not, I will add necessitate spending a fortune, I fail to see, or hear, to put it more accurately, how one could get a better sound than via the humble CD.
The DAC in my headphone amp, does a fine job so, CDs ripped to my PC, is the way I will continue for a long time.

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
The DAC in my headphone amp, does a fine job so, CDs ripped to my PC, is the way I will continue for a long time.
Ah well, indeed I never think of headphones. My thoughts on the matter, presuppose the use of a system with speakers.
Of headphones and associated equipment I have no knowledge or opinions.

I've had very mixed feelings regarding headphones. The headphone socket in the amp is very good.

I've owned Grado SR60i but drove me bonkers. The levels of detail was painful. Also owned a cheap set of Sennheiser, far more pleasant.

Currently have a cheap set of Sony, purchased from Tesco. Not great but do a job for my needs.

Reactions: JDL

Friesiansam

Ah well, indeed I never think of headphones. My thoughts on the matter, presuppose the use of a system with speakers.
Of headphones and associated equipment I have no knowledge or opinions.

I've had very mixed feelings regarding headphones. The headphone socket in the amp is very good.

I've owned Grado SR60i but drove me bonkers. The levels of detail was painful. Also owned a cheap set of Sennheiser, far more pleasant.

Currently have a cheap set of Sony, purchased from Tesco. Not great but do a job for my needs.
My comment was really only about the fact that I get very good results from CDs and, will continue with CDs.

I only use headphones because, that’s just the way it has to be.

DCarmi

I used to stick headphones on in the front room when someone else was watching TV but I was repeatedly told I was "breathing funny". So I tried not to "breathe funny" but it ruined the whole listening experience.

Now, when the room is otherwise occupied, I just go upstairs and listen to music on my own and breathe how I like.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I used to stick headphones on in the front room when someone else was watching TV but I was repeatedly told I was "breathing funny". So I tried not to "breathe funny" but it ruined the whole listening experience.

Now, when the room is otherwise occupied, I just go upstairs and listen to music on my own and breathe how I like.
I almost exclusively listen to my headphones, I only listen to speakers when I'm alone, basically less distractions but I do have a dilemma, do i listen to the Adam's in the study or Dali's in the bedroom, or the little Dali's in the dining room or Monitor Audio's in the lounge? Oh decisions decisions :)

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
I almost exclusively listen to my headphones, I only listen to speakers when I'm alone, basically less distractions but I do have a dilemma, do i listen to the Adam's in the study or Dali's in the bedroom, or the little Dali's in the dining room or Monitor Audio's in the lounge? Oh decisions decisions :)
Far too much choice Jason, you need to ditch some of it :)

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
My comment was really only about the fact that I get very good results from CDs and, will continue with CDs.

Me too. I really enjoy listening to my CDs. I find them easy to manage. I enjoy the little ritual of choosing one, removing it from its case and placing it in the player.
It's not completely unlike the old records in its tactility. I do find those 'jewel cases' annoying, because some of the second hand ones are broken but I can live with that.
From all the reading I've done about even the most expensive ripper/player devices, people still complain (some of them) that the sound isn't as good as the CD. Therefore, my lack of computer skills may well restrict me to the continuing use of the CD.
I might get my head around using EAC to back up my collection but I have so many other things going on that it might remain a dream.

jjbomber

do i listen to the Adam's in the study or Dali's in the bedroom, or the little Dali's in the dining room or Monitor Audio's in the lounge? Oh decisions decisions :)
I have a similar situation. Focal in the bedroom, Naim in the kitchen, Dynaudio actives in the Dining Room and Kef in the lounge. My headphone choice is similar as well, though I have the Quad planars to go with the Focal Elegia.

Reactions: Jasonovich

crimson69666

Jun 6, 2024
Visit site
Still love the sound of my bundles, have used it sparingly over the last couple of weeks. Hope I'm not falling out of love with the kit. Perhaps I've had the amp too long, I don't really know - I'm scratching for an answer.
Search for the best recording quality releases and the most linear soundsystem. For me, it was really easy to select audio components, i'm in heaven when i listen to high quality recordings (Try with Patricia Barber as an example). Don't forget that your listening room , speakers placement and your listening position account a lot for the final fidelity.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I have a similar situation. Focal in the bedroom, Naim in the kitchen, Dynaudio actives in the Dining Room and Kef in the lounge. My headphone choice is similar as well, though I have the Quad planars to go with the Focal Elegia.
Nice. I do think (not something I do often) having different setups in different rooms, stops you from getting bored with HiFi.

Excellent choice with the Elegia's. I had no idea Quad made Planar Magnet headphones. Very Nice JJ :)
1717677825303.png

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Me too. I really enjoy listening to my CDs. I find them easy to manage. I enjoy the little ritual of choosing one, removing it from its case and placing it in the player.
It's not completely unlike the old records in its tactility. I do find those 'jewel cases' annoying, because some of the second hand ones are broken but I can live with that.
From all the reading I've done about even the most expensive ripper/player devices, people still complain (some of them) that the sound isn't as good as the CD. Therefore, my lack of computer skills may well restrict me to the continuing use of the CD.
I might get my head around using EAC to back up my collection but I have so many other things going on that it might remain a dream.
I never tried EAC, maybe worth looking into.
I use EZ-CD software to rip my CD's on to my SSD/NVME M.2, it allows you to upscale to higher frequencies, I usually convert it to FLAC 88kHz.
I won't say it sounds better but it's as every bit (no pun intended :) ) as good as the original.

Friesiansam

I never tried EAC, maybe worth looking into.
I use EZ-CD software to rip my CD's on to my SSD/NVME M.2, it allows you to upscale to higher frequencies, I usually convert it to FLAC 88kHz.
I won't say it sounds better but it's as every bit (no pun intended :) ) as good as the original.
Extra processing, just because you can, even though you don’t think it makes any difference, seems rather pointless.

Last edited:

jjbomber

Excellent choice with the Elegia's. I had no idea Quad made Planar Magnet headphones. Very Nice JJ :)
That's them; Quad ERA-1. they're great for serious music listening. Something like Led Zeppelin's Presence, on which you can pick out all the layers on Jimmy Page's overdubs. The album sounds very different then to playing it through the loudspeakers, up against the furniture and room dynamics. The obvious example is Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon, which Gilmour says has 7 guitar overdubs on, but I can't count that high anyway!
The Elegia's are just for fun, toe-tapping rock tracks, where I don't have to do any thinking. Just crank it up and get lost in the music.

Reactions: Jasonovich
Search for the best recording quality releases and the most linear soundsystem. For me, it was really easy to select audio components, i'm in heaven when i listen to high quality recordings (Try with Patricia Barber as an example). Don't forget that your listening room , speakers placement and your listening position account a lot for the final fidelity.
Speaker position has always been constant. Anyway, as I've always said, the kit is superb for the money -- it's music in general I'm bored with.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Extra processing, just because you can, even though you don’t think it makes any difference, seems rather pointless.
You make a fair point. I'm looking at it from the perspective of storage, converting it from the original wav. format to FLAC frees up space on my SSD and thus, more music on the disk with no discernible differences in the sound quality.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
That's them; Quad ERA-1. they're great for serious music listening. Something like Led Zeppelin's Presence, on which you can pick out all the layers on Jimmy Page's overdubs. The album sounds very different then to playing it through the loudspeakers, up against the furniture and room dynamics. The obvious example is Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon, which Gilmour says has 7 guitar overdubs on, but I can't count that high anyway!
The Elegia's are just for fun, toe-tapping rock tracks, where I don't have to do any thinking. Just crank it up and get lost in the music.
Fabulous :).
Totally agree about the Elegia's, they're engaging and fun to listen to. When I was commuting yesterday to London, I took them on their maiden run. The looks I got on the train, yeah enjoy your plastic B&O's, your Beats, your *rap wireless, these are the real deal, hahaha!

Still I have to be really careful in London anything shiny will attract the Magpies o_O

Reactions: jjbomber and DougK1

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts