KEF R3 Meta or PMC Prodigy 5?

Hifiman

Apr 17, 2020
Visit site
Both these speakers get rave reviews at the £2K mark and the floor standing PMCs will take up much the same floor area as the KEFs. I have not had the chance to test either but wondered if anyone has already compared them and was willing to share their thoughts?

Both these speakers get rave reviews at the £2K mark and the floor standing PMCs will take up much the same floor area as the KEFs. I have not had the chance to test either but wondered if anyone has already compared them and was willing to share their thoughts?
Whether they have or not is a tad irrelevant.
None have your equipment or ears or listening room.
Why limit yourself to this pair?

Reactions: Gray

Gray

A bit early with the PMC maybe, for anyone to have made comparisons.

More than with any other component you can't take chances with speakers.
Even if you're not placing too much importance on people's preferences, they may well not describe (or even hear) sounds in the same way as you.

Your room / amp / ears is all that's relevant to make the best choice.

Reactions: nopiano
As I attend as many Hifi shows as I can manage, I have heard both. Unsurprisingly they were in completely different settings, iirc.

The PMC Prodigy were in a large space and sounded great. Very punchy and exciting, much as I expect from PMC. The unexpected was the price, especially as I’ve moaned here about the twenty5 series costing about twice what they should! For two grand they seemed a really good buy, and I actually liked the discreet styling very much too. They looked classy to me.

The KEF were in a dedicated room with a big Hegel amplifier, and sounded like the Ref 1 on the cheap. Eyes shut you’d swear they were floorstanders, and if you buy their dedicated stands are about £2400 RRP . I’m more inclined towards the KEF for their smoothness and technical design, but if I played more rock/pop then the PMC could be ideal. However, the indigo blue KEF finish is stunning, if you have a designer interior!

One of the few pics I took at Cranage was the display of several KEFs.

IMG_1373.png

skutters

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I bought the Kef R3 Meta just after they came out I was auditioning speakers at the time and I had a pair of Dynaudio Special 40's at home for a number of days from a local dealer . I really liked the Dynaudios and thought I was going to buy them , but my dealer had just got the Kef's in and suggested that I take them home also and try them. So for the next couple of days I was swapping them back and too in the end I went with the Kef's as there was very little difference to my ears, the Dynaudios being maybe a tad more musical but for me it wasn't enough for the extra £900 they would have cost. I should point out that as others will tell you , you have to demo at home at the same time I listened to a pair of Proac D2r response speakers at the dealers listing room and they sounded fantastic so I took them home to try and they sounded nothing like they did in the dealers with their equipment and room.

D

Deleted member 201267

Hi, I bought the Kef R3 Meta just after they came out I was auditioning speakers at the time and I had a pair of Dynaudio Special 40's at home for a number of days from a local dealer . I really liked the Dynaudios and thought I was going to buy them , but my dealer had just got the Kef's in and suggested that I take them home also and try them. So for the next couple of days I was swapping them back and too in the end I went with the Kef's as there was very little difference to my ears, the Dynaudios being maybe a tad more musical but for me it wasn't enough for the extra £900 they would have cost. I should point out that as others will tell you , you have to demo at home at the same time I listened to a pair of Proac D2r response speakers at the dealers listing room and they sounded fantastic so I took them home to try and they sounded nothing like they did in the dealers with their equipment and room.
A home demo is essential.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts