Tannoy Revolution xt6f vs. KEF R500

Compactdisco

Apr 19, 2016
Visit site
I was hoping someone has had the chance to compare both models. A group test from HiFiChoice puts the xt8f ahead of the R500. Not sure if the same would apply to xt6f vs R500.

Hope to find both models around my area.

Thanks

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I have heard various Tannoy models and am familiar with the Kef R Series...but that was in different shops on different systems.

My assesment is that Tannoys sound a bit leaner and cleaner, but can be provoked into brightness if incorrectly matched.

I would be looking to match the Kefs with neutral sounding amps that have plenty of control. The Tannoys imo, like amps that are less on the analytical side, like Electrocompaniet, Arcam, Pathos and Sugden.

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
A couple of observations from me. Firstly the KEF R series and Tannoy XTs wouldn't normally be thought of as equivalents, the KEF Q series being the obvious competitor of the XTs so you're comparing a cheaper general purpose floorstander with a more expensive compact one. No problem with that but if I was making a shortlist, this wouldn't be the obvious starting point.

Cno makes the point about the Tannoy "house sound". Certainly the XT's predecessor, the DC6TSE could be a bit lean but I find the XTs to be much more rounded sounding speakers. That said, I thought the DC6TSE was a beautiful looking speaker with no visible fixings and aluminium rings around the drivers whereas the XTs don't appeal in the same way.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
So i know what im talking about even though i have not compared the r500 and new xt6.

While i agree that the r series is more mid range end than the tannoy, the tannoy will give you more sound quality for pound spent.

The r500 only has small bass drivers and even my r700 was a little bass light on cetain songs.

Thats why the xt8 won the hifi choice group test.

If your worried about sounding thin or lean go for the xt8 but either speaker will give you very good sq although the kef may demand a better amp than the tannoy to get the best out.

If it were me id rather have the r300 than the r500

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
So i know what im talking about even though i have not compared the r500 and new xt6.

While i agree that the r series is more mid range end than the tannoy, the tannoy will give you more sound quality for pound spent.

The r500 only has small bass drivers and even my r700 was a little bass light on cetain songs.

If your worried about sounding thin or lean go for the xt8 but either speaker will give you very good sq although the kef may demand a better amp than the tannoy to get the best out.

I find it interesting (though not surprising, due to the variables), how views differ slightly.

I find that all the R Series have substantial bass for their size....which is why (as you say), they need an amp that can keep them in line.

I would easily take the R500 over the R300...in fact I preferred the LS50 to the latter as well....though I do like the R300s.

IMO. The R700 is the pick of the range and is worth finding the extra for, if not too big for the room.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Andrewjvt said:

I find it interesting (though not surprising, due to the variables), how views differ slightly.

I find that all the R Series have substantial bass for their size....which is why (as you say), they need an amp that can keep them in line.

I would easily take the R500 over the R300...in fact I preferred the LS50 to the latter as well....though I do like the R300s.

IMO. The R700 is the pick of the range and is worth finding the extra for, if not too big for the room.

Some songs had loads and others seemed to lack this could have been my amp also.

Also and i dont often mention this but my room is quiet large and full of oak beams etc so maybe sucks away the bass impact a bit.

When i demod r300 at frank harvey i was shocked by the amount of bass. (The r700 only slightly fuller sounding)

The op will not regret these speakers they are serious kit.
Just to clarify...

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Although, the R Series isn't a range to add bass in when it's not there (exaggerated by cabinet colouration etc), so some tracks might seem to lack bass in places where some people have been used to hearing it.

torikoos

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
Which group test was this (what issue),as I'd be interested to read it.

I am still looking for a new pair of floor standers, and both the R500 and XT 6F are amongst speakers I'd like to try. (my list has grown , the more I've discovered :) ).

S

SemiChronic

If you are considering tannoy floorstanders, due to end of line clearances etc, you may be able to bag a pair of precisions for around the same price as xt6, theyre twice the speaker

torikoos

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
SemiChronic said:
If you are considering tannoy floorstanders, due to end of line clearances etc, you may be able to bag a pair of precisions for around the same price as xt6, theyre twice the speaker

I would, but they are too big for my listening room, I need something more slender, the XT6F just about fit, the R500 do too. It's the width that is the problem, height and depth not so much.

loneranger

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:

Agree. The Kef R500 has disappointed bass. For bass, go for the R300!

torikoos

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
loneranger said:
Agree. The Kef R500 has disappointed bass. For bass, go for the R300!

I understand the theory, the drivers in the R300 are larger and can shift more air, but the R500 having rear ports, placing closer to the wall could somewhat compensate for that? May lose a bit of imaging due to that perhaps. It also has two bass drivers, and a D'appolito configuration, which is said to be very good for imaging etc, so I wonder if that compensates. I guess I just have to go and compare myself.

Compactdisco

Apr 19, 2016
Visit site
The KEF R300 and Tannoy xt6f can be had for ~$1,800. Assuming that speakers would be placed in a small room (I've read that the R300 has flooorstander-like bass on small rooms), which one would you pick?

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts