Tannoy Arden speakers?

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
My Uncle emailed me last night to say that one of their friends (a widow) has a pair of Tannoy Arden speakers and would I be interested in them. The only details given included - Tannoy Arden HPD385A - Power handling Capacity 85 wattsSensitivity91dB@1m for1lw input(3.1w DIN 96dB)

Dimensions 33"x26"x14.5

So I've had a quick search for them on the net and find some favourable comments. I think they date from about 1978 and I am assuming they are in good condition as my Uncle knew about them as they were in his friend's living room. I'm not sure I want them in my room and my wife certainly wont, but I said that I would try and find out more about them. I also asked if there was any other kit such as an amp*smile*

Does anyone know much about these or point me to where I can find out more? (other than the obvious google search).

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
OK, from what I can remember.

Tannoy named their enclosures, rather than speaker models as such. The Arden was a medium large reflex floorstander designed to take a 15 inch dual concentric, in this case the HPD385A.

This is really an attempt by Tannoy to make the big, old fashioned enclosures, the Lancaster, York and GRF models, into something a bit more suitable for modern homes, it was not all that successfull as Tannoy were somewhat in the doldrums.

They are less collectable than the older models but if the cabinets are in good condition, they are worth good money.

The HPD drivers replaced the much loved Monitor Golds, both in domestic and Studio applications. They were not that popular at the time, primarily because they were not Monitor Golds, but they were better in absolute terms.

Very desireable to the right person, particularly if the cabinets are good. By professional standards the drivers will have had an easy life, so these could fetch good money on their own.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Some quick reading last night included a few enthusiasts looking to put the drivers in better cabinets - not that I have the time or the inclination to do that at the moment. I'm going to find out a bit more about their condition and what the owner wants to do with them.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
jonathanRD said:
Some quick reading last night included a few enthusiasts looking to put the drivers in better cabinets - not that I have the time or the inclination to do that at the moment. I'm going to find out a bit more about their condition and what the owner wants to do with them.

Not surprising, the dual concentrics do have a following. If the cabinets are a bit tatty, the drivers are probably worth more on their own.

TRENDING THREADS