Synology has arrived...

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Wow. My Synology DiskStation 212J arrived yesterday along with a 2TB DW 'Red' drive. Installing the hard drive was worryingly easy, software set up worked a dream and this thing is really comprehensive. You can instantly see why it's way more expensive than the WD MyBookLive.

I'm amazed to see I can even run a web server on it should I wish - with installers for PHPMyAdmin and even Drupal - amazing.

It's complex, but actually quite logical. Unlike the WD approach, everything is locked down by default, you need to enable access, services etc as needed. I can see why this would annoy some people, but I play with Linux a lot at work so it's not problem.

There's still loads of configuring I need to do. So far I've copied my iTunes library and have linked it via NFS to my Apple TV running XBMC. A NAS is a NAS? Digital is digital? But I'm sure the sound is a bit more open...

As with using the WD, data transfer seem a bit slow. A bit of research and checking my network has revealed the odd Cat5 cable among gigabit switches so I need to upgrade those to Cat5e.

Lots of fun and I'm sure learning all its features will keep me busy.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Ooo, exciting 8)

I'm contemplating a Synology 212J, I'm hoping it's possible to control it from my laptop/iTunes via Airplay, and then the 212J will play music via my rDAC :?

Clearly, though, much further research required on my part... :doh:

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Is that not just a case of making the iTunes folder on the NAS your default iTunes library on your laptop then sending that via Airplay? If so, should be easy.

The rDAC isn't Airplay enabled though is it? (Mine isn't)

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
roger06 said:
So far I've copied my iTunes library and have linked it via NFS to my Apple TV running XBMC.

Is XBMC showing the contents of your library correctly? I had a devil of a time with mine showing upto 10 duplicates of tracks, or showing them correctly but then saying it couldn't find them when clicking play. Think I set it to access the nas via UPnP.

I gave up on the XBMC library function and have started using the Synology Audio Station app, it's connected to my dac via the ATV but apparently you can connect the nas directly to a dac if your dac has a usb input.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Hi Craig

I've never had any problems on the music side, well apart from it being quite poor at getting artists' images. I have noticed some duplicates in the movies bit but I so that so rarely it's not an issue.

Have you 'cleaned' your library and re-scanned?

Interesting about the Synology - there's loads it can do! However, it's in another room so not practical to connect via USB, though I may move it to see what it's like.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Yes, cleaned and re-scanned, as well as deleted the library file and re-installing XBMC. Numerous times! :wall:

I was going to try the usb connection, but I noticed that Audio Station was 'seeing' my ATV as a streaming option so just decided to use that - with remote control via a free phone app or web interface. I'm very impressed with the nas though, as you say it can do loads of stuff! My next use for it will be for sharing photos and videos with family via the Photo Station app.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi

the first thing i notice when i connected my DS213 was an improvement of the sound quality of the SBT using the NAS to run the SBServer, compered to my laptop.

I've mine connected via QED LAN cable to my WIFI tower and the wifi tower connected through another LAN cable to my SBT.

I love the sound quality of this delivery, and the Rega DAC play an important roll in this proccess.

Best REGArds

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
bigboss said:
You now need a 2nd WD Red hard drive, roger06! ;)

Use Synology hybrid RAID.

Indeed! But I think it can wait until Santa brings it :grin: At the moment all my music and photos are on my MacBook Pro as well and this is backed up by Time Machine on a USB hard drive thus the Synology is not a single point of failure.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Hi

the first thing i notice when i connected my DS213 was an improvement of the sound quality of the SBT using the NAS to run the SBServer, compered to my laptop.

I've mine connected via QED LAN cable to my WIFI tower and the wifi tower connected through another LAN cable to my SBT.

I love the sound quality of this delivery, and the Rega DAC play an important roll in this proccess.

Best REGArds

Sorry - what's an 'SBT' ?

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
roger06 said:
Is that not just a case of making the iTunes folder on the NAS your default iTunes library on your laptop then sending that via Airplay? If so, should be easy.

The rDAC isn't Airplay enabled though is it? (Mine isn't)

Oh, shizzle. I was hoping that my MBP/iTunes will connect via AirPlay to DS212j -> USB -> rDAC. No?? :(

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Chisy1 said:
Does this mean you want to transfer sound from DS212j via its own USB to rDAC. I wonder if Synology's own music app would do this for you - http://www.synology.com/dsm/home_home_applications_audio_station.php?lang=us - it's controllable from mac or iDevice.

At the risk of appearing to be thick - if I were to use Synology's music app, would I have to jettison iTunes? If so, how would I then load music onto an iPod and/or iPhone?

Ta :)

leadears

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
As a Synology owner and Itunes, LMT (logitech media server formerly known as sqeezebox server) user who bought into this to obtain a quiet, low power, available streaming solution I can maybe answer some questions:

Synology's music aserver simply runs over whatever music library (folder/directory structure) you point it at so it doesn't prevent you using itunes. However, it is 'clunky' and doesn't currently provide any nice solution for browsing large media libraries - to the extent that for me it is no solution. It will however stream to an airplay device, it will do this via a wifi network provided the NAS is connected to it (NAS to wifi router by ethernet). There are also synology products with wifi connectivity included, at a cost.

I use LMT which is conveniently bundled with the NAS as my music server, then use the ipeng app to stream it to an apple airport express which provides a digital input to my DAC. The airport express could be any apple airplay device in this scenario. There is a downside that the battery life on my itouch is challenged by this so it stays on charge for serious listening sessions. In other rooms I use some logitech devices which also work well and fit with the solution, which is handy as that was the whole point of centralizing my media library.

It would've been less painless if the NAS hosted an itunes client but tbh I've got used to LMT with control via ipeng - to the extent that I now only use itunes to sync devices and manage podcasts.

Sorry, I don't know if an audio out is offered from the NAS's USB interfaces, I believe that maybe only for attached storage and printers.

Hope that made some sense, on the sofa with flu today..

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
6th.replicant said:
Chisy1 said:
Does this mean you want to transfer sound from DS212j via its own USB to rDAC. I wonder if Synology's own music app would do this for you - http://www.synology.com/dsm/home_home_applications_audio_station.php?lang=us - it's controllable from mac or iDevice.

At the risk of appearing to be thick - if I were to use Synology's music app, would I have to jettison iTunes? If so, how would I then load music onto an iPod and/or iPhone?

Ta :)

Is your iTunes library on the nas? If so then no, you can still use iTunes. And Synologys Audio Station will stream music via usb to your dac, as Leadears said, just point Audio Station at the music files on your nas. I find the remote app is better for control than the web interface, it's a bit slow via the web interface, it's not as 'nice' as the remote app for iTunes though. You might find the sound quality is a bit better than using Airplay too.

Synology Audio Station Forum.

leadears

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Does the Audio Station app allow fast end to end browsing of the media library?, e.g. artists listed a .. z with the ability to drill down at any letter? Must confess I didn't try the app as the web-browser navigation experience killed my interest. If it can do the former it sounds like something I need.

Also read about the USB out giving 24bit audio, may give that a go when I'm up to messing with cables again :cheers:

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
leadears said:
Does the Audio Station app allow fast end to end browsing of the media library?, e.g. artists listed a .. z with the ability to drill down at any letter? Must confess I didn't try the app as the web-browser navigation experience killed my interest. If it can do the former it sounds like something I need.

Also read about the USB out giving 24bit audio, may give that a go when I'm up to messing with cables again :cheers:

Yes, the remote app lets you scroll very quickly from a to z. You can slide with your finger for slower scrolling, or there is a little box appears at the right, using this lets you go from a to z in about 2 seconds. You can scroll through by artist, title, genre, recently added, playlist, there is also a radio heading but I haven't tried that yet. It is much better than the web browser, which is almost unusable imo.

Edit: It doesn't let you drill down by letter, it lists all artists alphabetically. It's still pretty fast though. While I'm thinking about downsides, I don't think it supports gapless playback.

silikonas

Apr 10, 2009
Visit site
Synology could be connected directly to a DAC via USB, unfortunately rDAC doesn't work with Synology. Check the list of DACs that work or don't work with Synology http://forum.synology.com/wiki/index.php/User_Reported_Compatible_USB_Speakers

From iTunes on your any computer or tablet or phone you can acess the Synylogy's music library if you run iTunes server on your Synology. You can control it on your ipad/ipod touch/iphone via the dedicated app DS Audio https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/ds-audio/id321495303?mt=8

leadears

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the useful info, a usable audio app is good news. The lack of gapless playback is an issue for me. I tested this and can confirm it's the case, even with lossless rips (ALAC, flac). The same sources play gapless via LMT. Not sure how they managed that as it seems a bit of an ommision, perhaps something to be fixed in an update. I'll continue to use LMT and ipeng, this is pretty convenient for me as it allows control and syncing of multiple devices and sources.

Useful thread.

gurjitsidhu

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I noticed that REGA DAC is not on the list of compatible DACs/ usb powered speakers. But Im planning to get the Synology, then stream to Airport Express then to the DAC.

How does this work if you have a library on your macbook as well as on the server? I would like access to my full library when im at home but when I take my laptop out of the home, I would like access to some of my songs. If i point the destination folder for my itunes to the NAS will i be unable to listen to any music if my NAS isnt about? we have two mac laptops in the family if that helps.

Also, im thinking of getting the WD Red disks- have they been good for you so far?

Thanks

jlc3010

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Roger

I personnally tested Synology usb connection with 2 DACs : Cambridge Audio dac magic plus and Audiolab Mdac both works perfectly up to 96kz/24bit flac format

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts