Synergy synergy synergy! Help. I need help!...

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Inter_Voice:

Totally agreed pp that the preference is very personal. In my case since there is a huge difference in performance between Pulse and NAD that I can immediate notice it. May be after some time I may discover something lacking in Pulse (or in other items) and might think of further upgrade in future.

Back to to issue of 50Hz noise, I have tried to eliminate it but not successful. The noise is not very noticeable in the speakers however when I plug in the earphone the noise level is so high that there is no way of using headphones even at very low volume. I am thinking of seeking the help from Leema. You mentioned that you also got the phones problem and had sent it back to Leema for service. May I know how you did it (by phone or e-mail). How did you send the Pulse as it is quite heavy.

Yup, no probs. BTW, was it purchased from Brighton?

Strictly speaking you could send it back to the dealer. Alternatively, contact Leema Acoustics http://www.mwmg.org/en/entries/leema-acoustics-98.html, and tell them the problem. It sounds identical to mine. They arranged the carrier to pick-up from my house and they return it as and when it's fixed. You should find, also, the sound quality improves - they changed the circuit board and re-earthed the whole thing*. Fabulous customer service.

Hope this helps.

*Based on my own experience, so can't guarantee the same thing, but sounds like a common problem.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Thanks pp. Yes, my Leema Pulse was from Brighton and I bought it on-line.

It sounds this is a common problem and may be a design fault. Anyway I have just sent an-email directly to Leema Acoustics and hopefully I can get a quick reply and they will pick it up in a few day's time.

BTW how long did Leema take to change the circuit board for you, return to you within 2 weeks ?

Inter_Voice:

Thanks pp. Yes, my Leema Pulse was from Brighton and I bought it on-line.

It sounds this is a common problem and may be a design fault. Anyway I have just sent an-email directly to Leema Acoustics and hopefully I can get a quick reply and they will pick it up in a few day's time.

BTW how long did Leema take to change the circuit board for you, return to you within 2 weeks ?

Yup, took about a fortnight. They also said that because the new MK III is in existence, all the parts (circuit board etc are from the new version) give it a crisper sound - a sort of half-way house between the two.

I think one of the other forum users had the exact same problem from the same shop: Not sure whether it's a bum batch, and if that branch are aware of the problems or not, or whether the issue lies with Leema. Can't believe for one moment that Leema's quality control would let it run if they knew.

Could answer why they have so many "cut-price" Pulses.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Nowadays people seldom use headphones for music listening from high ended hifi and the noise from the speakers are not much to raise an alarm. I believe a lot of customers just do not aware of the noise problem from the phones. Like me if you have not had mentioned your problem I will not have tested the phones output.

I think the shop in Brighton may not have known the problem as I have to wait for a month to get the amplifier (assuming they did not have any stocks in their depot). They told me that they had to wait from Leema's delivery before they could dispatch it to me. I think Leema is selling their last batch of Pulse II through their authorized distributors at a reduced price since Pulse III has been out for some time. If Leema can accept its responsibilities and rectifiy the noise problem (which they might have known) I have no complaint as the price of this hifi is really a bargin when considering its sound quality.

I am still waiting for a reply from Leema.

Inter_Voice:

Nowadays people seldom use headphones for music listening from high ended hifi and the noise from the speakers are not much to raise an alarm. I believe a lot of customers just do not aware of the noise problem from the phones. Like me if you have not had mentioned your problem I will not have tested the phones output.

I think the shop in Brighton may not have known the problem as I have to wait for a month to get the amplifier (assuming they did not have any stocks in their depot). They told me that they had to wait from Leema's delivery before they could dispatch it to me. I think Leema is selling their last batch of Pulse II through their authorized distributors at a reduced price since Pulse III has been out for some time. If Leema can accept its responsibilities and rectifiy the noise problem (which they might have known) I have no complaint as the price of this hifi is really a bargin when considering its sound quality.

I am still waiting for a reply from Leema.

The up side is you finally get an even better amp than the original MKII. The downside, from personal experience, is it shows up any deficiencies in your sources a lot easier.

Use that link I provided a few posts back and phone them - that's what I did.

Good luck

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Just got an e-mail reply from Leema Acoustics and they will arrange a carrier to take the Pulse back for modification.

According to Leema's reply actually they know the earthing problem !! I quote the following from Leema for your reference:

"We did change a ground layout in the Pulse II to fix this issue. It appears that your unit does not have the mod."

What you have suspected the Brighton shop is most probably correct. The stock this shop held were old batch and not from the depot of Leema Acoustics which modification to the ground layout has been done before sending out to their customers.

Hope my Pulse II can be back in a forthnight.

A

Anonymous

i like leemas attitude towards their customers
emotion-21.gif

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Just an update. Leema Acoustic has arranged a carrier to pick up my Pulse tomorrow. Well done Leema Acoustic.

They said they may return the amplifier back to me in a week's time. I really love the kind of service from Leema Acoustic, quick and friendly communication via e-mail and over the phone.

As to the Brighton shop I wrote a similar e-mail to them yesterday and asked them for their advise for what to do and so far there is no response. Now I can sense a great difference of services between the two.

Inter_Voice:

Just an update. Leema Acoustic has arranged a carrier to pick up my Pulse tomorrow. Well done Leema Acoustic.

They said they may return the amplifier back to me in a week's time. I really love the kind of service from Leema Acoustic, quick and friendly communication via e-mail and over the phone.

As to the Brighton shop I wrote a similar e-mail to them yesterday and asked them for their advise for what to do and so far there is no response. Now I can sense a great difference of services between the two.

A great shame: you would've thought that Sevenoaks, Brighton would be keen to either rectify or at least offer some guidance. Although it does make you wonder of their customer care policy. They are a franchise branch, so I wonder what guidlines are laid down by Sevenoaks H/Q.

I won't accuse them of any wrongdoings, but this is the third case I know of.... same branch, same brand. Would be nice for them to be more transparent and answer any questions.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:Inter_Voice:

A great shame: you would've thought that Sevenoaks, Brighton would be keen to either rectify or at least offer some guidance. Although it does make you wonder of their customer care policy. They are a franchise branch, so I wonder what guidlines are laid down by Sevenoaks H/Q.

I won't accuse them of any wrongdoings, but this is the third case I know of.... same branch, same brand. Would be nice for them to be more transparent and answer any questions.Although you could argue that Leema should have recalled the product if they knew it to be a fault.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I recalled someone in the forum mentioned that using power line filters would suppress amplifier's HF performance. Power line filter is only recommended for CDP, TV and tuners etc but not power amplifier, it was said.

pp I wonder if you are using a line filter for your Pulse ?

Inter_Voice:

I recalled someone in the forum mentioned that using power line filters would suppress amplifier's HF performance. Power line filter is only recommended for CDP, TV and tuners etc but not power amplifier, it was said.

pp I wonder if you are using a line filter for your Pulse ?

Nope.

Grottyash:plastic penguin:Inter_Voice:

I won't accuse them of any wrongdoings, but this is the third case I know of.... same branch, same brand. Would be nice for them to be more transparent and answer any questions.Although you could argue that Leema should have recalled the product if they knew it to be a fault.

Indeed: I can only assume this is one reason why they are keen rectify the problem without questions. I mentioned which branch, and if the others did the same they must know of the dodgy batch delivered.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Regarding the mod. as suggested by Leema Acoustics I am not quite sure as to how it can be done. I have searched the web and found an internal look of this amplifier. Apart from the transformer all the other circuitry are placed within one printed circuit board. I am afraid there is no way there can be extensive modification with the existing layout unless they change with it a totally new revised printed circuit board which I wonder if it would be the case as our products are at the end of the line and has been outdated for some time (Pulse III has been launched for a year or so I believe).

There MIGHT (I stress the word might here) be one possible solution, i.e. to change the entire printed circuit board with a new Pulse III board since the orientations of all the connections are exactly in the same location apart from those additional coaxial/optical and USB inputs in the Pulse III circuit board which can easily be gotten rid of. This MIGHT have explained why the music quality and performance of this amplifier has enhanced after the modification. With my limited knowledge just change the earthing system or adding some filtering devices would not have such effect. When my amplifier returns I will check it out.

A

Anonymous

I think you might be missing the point of a "mod" in electronics a mod is just that a mod, it might involve changing one component for another, it might involve putting a capacitor across a resistor, it might involve whipping out a scalpel cutting a track & re-routing that track elsewhere using some wire and skilful soldering. Either way the end result is a modification of the original design. It's not an uncommon practise particularly when the value of the board is high.

you have picked out a humm and even ascribed to it a source (mains earth) and frequency meaning half the work to filtering it out is done already.

You may also have missed another key difference between Pulse II and III, the controls are totally different and hence, one might reasonably assume, so are the connections from them back to the main board.

Inter_Voice:

Regarding the mod. as suggested by Leema Acoustics I am not quite sure as to how it can be done. I have searched the web and found an internal look of this amplifier. Apart from the transformer all the other circuitry are placed within one printed circuit board. I am afraid there is no way there can be extensive modification with the existing layout unless they change with it a totally new revised printed circuit board which I wonder if it would be the case as our products are at the end of the line and has been outdated for some time (Pulse III has been launched for a year or so I believe).

There MIGHT (I stress the word might here) be one possible solution, i.e. to change the entire printed circuit board with a new Pulse III board since the orientations of all the connections are exactly in the same location apart from those additional coaxial/optical and USB inputs in the Pulse III circuit board which can easily be gotten rid of. This MIGHT have explained why the music quality and performance of this amplifier has enhanced after the modification. With my limited knowledge just change the earthing system or adding some filtering devices would not have such effect. When my amplifier returns I will check it out.

As I explained a couple of pages ago, the circuit board was changed to the new MKIII version. Essentially, the Pulse II, like ours, in a small batch had an earthing problem relating to the headphone socket. Hence why they re-earthed the amp and changed the printed circuit board. This is why there is a noticable difference in sound quality.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
OH ... I am really too old to have forgotten what you had mentioned previously, what happen to my memory :)

It is very nice to hear that actually what I will get in a week's time is a MKIII design, but it creates another worry to me. Will the new amplifier shows up all the shortcomings of my CDP ? With fingers crossed.

Inter_Voice:

OH ... I am really too old to have forgotten what you had mentioned previously, what happen to my memory :)

It is very nice to hear that actually what I will get in a week's time is a MKIII design, but it creates another worry to me. Will the new amplifier shows up all the shortcomings of my CDP ? With fingers crossed.

Not to worry. This thread has been rumbling on so long now, even I have trouble keeping up with my own post...
emotion-5.gif

No, you won't be getting a MKIII version in a MKIIs clothes. What you will get is roughly 60-70 percent MKII and 30-40 percent MKIII. So in effect, SQ-wise, it's a halfway house - slightly better than the MKII, not quite as good as MKIII.

I'm going for a lay down after that...
emotion-4.gif

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Thanks pp and BH for the expert opinions (as I am no electronic engineer).

Just got an e-mail confirmation from Leema Acoustics that the warranty period of Pulse II had been extended from 3 years to 5 years last year (as I noticed that the warranty period is 3 years in the warranty registration card).

There seems to be not too many amplifiers manufacturers would provide full 5 year return to base warranty service. I really like Leema Acoustics' marketing strategy and service !!

matthewpiano

Inter_Voice:

Just got an e-mail confirmation from Leema Acoustics that the warranty period of Pulse II had been extended from 3 years to 5 years last year (as I noticed that the warranty period is 3 years in the warranty registration card).

There seems to be not too many amplifiers manufacturers would provide full 5 year return to base warranty service. I really like Leema Acoustics' marketing strategy and service !!

It is one of the things I like about Arcam FMJ products too. A 5 year warranty is well worth having. Don't forget, Roksan offer similar.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Pleased to know that more and more manufactures are providing 5 years warranty services. It will certainly influence others to do the same and eventually 5 years warranty service will become a norm and standard. This provides peace of mind for the customers .

Inter_Voice:

I'm no electronics whizz-kid either: all the info about the aforementioned problem was sourced from Leema when I asked them to explain.

To begin with I was irritated about spending £750 and to find a "brand new" unit faulty. Once the amp was returned and heard the [noticable] difference, allied to Leema's willingness to rectify the problem, it was a fabulous choice.

Although not familiar with your OPPO, it may show any deficiences in any of your sources. It may not, just be prepared for that possible scenario.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Inter_Voice:Pleased to know that more and more manufactures are providing 5 years warranty services. It will certainly influence others to do the same and eventually 5 years warranty service will become a norm and standard. This provides peace of mind for the customers .

atc provide a 6 year one. that's one more.
emotion-4.gif

TRENDING THREADS