Synergy synergy synergy! Help. I need help!...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

So, to summarise this thread, you don't like it and should change a component to see what the effect is. Don't dismiss the change too quickly as it might grow on you once you've got used to the change.

Seems reasonable to me
emotion-1.gif

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
igglebert:So, to summarise this thread, you don't like it and should change a component to see what the effect is. Don't dismiss the change too quickly as it might grow on you once you've got used to the change.

Seems reasonable to me
emotion-1.gif
Or the alternate summary - if it ain't broke...

Crocodile:igglebert:So, to summarise this thread, you don't like it and should change a component to see what the effect is. Don't dismiss the change too quickly as it might grow on you once you've got used to the change. Seems reasonable to me
emotion-1.gif
Or the alternate summary - if it ain't broke...

The sound ain't broke, just not the all-rounder I hoped for....
emotion-5.gif

igglebert:So, to summarise this thread, you don't like it and should change a component to see what the effect is. Don't dismiss the change too quickly as it might grow on you once you've got used to the change. Seems reasonable to me
emotion-1.gif

Spot-on, iggle. This'll probably mean weeks of auditioning. Maybe...
emotion-4.gif

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin:The sound ain't broke, just not the all-rounder I hoped for....
emotion-5.gif
I was thinking more in terms of not buying the Leema in the first place when you were apparently happy with the Arcam/MA.

Crocodile:plastic penguin:The sound ain't broke, just not the all-rounder I hoped for....
emotion-5.gif
I was thinking more in terms of not buying the Leema in the first place when you were apparently happy with the Arcam/MA.

This is all very interesting stuff.

Essentially, my system was (and still is) high-end budget equipement. Since before I joined this forum I was testing other amps around £600-£700, and I've heard most of the "big hitters" below £1,000 - all were very good, but didn't do enough to justify splashing the extra cash. So logic took over: If non of the sub-£1000 amps then aim higher. Since then I've heard Naim XS, Caspian M1, Pulse and AVI Lab Series. Loved the AVI but couldn't afford £1500 (at the time). Problem being, all the high end amps weren't tested with the MAs nor the Arcam, assuming it would kick the budget Arcam where it really hurts... on a short listen I was right, and in isolation, but compared, a lot later, the high end amps, with the RS6s, show deficiencies to the point where the budget amp betters them in certain areas.

The only (using the word loosely) consolation is it's work-in-progress but there are some genuine doubts. Here's why:

Leema Pulse = bright. Monitor Audio RS6 = bright. Yet my experience is far from that....

Just come off the phone from Monitor Audio. I asked him what amps they recommend with the RS6s. Interestingly, he said the Leema is well suited MA Gold and Platimum ranges, recons the extra punch from the Leema isn't making the treble so prominent, and mentioned the sources could be holding the Leema back.

Brands recommended is surprising: Cyrus 6, Roksan Kandy, Arcam and Leema.

Thoughts please.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:
Just come off the phone from Monitor Audio. I asked him what amps they recommend with the RS6s. Interestingly, he said the Leema is well suited MA Gold and Platimum ranges, recons the extra punch from the Leema isn't making the treble so prominent, and mentioned the sources could be holding the Leema back.

Thoughts please.

Why don't you buy a Beresford or DM on ebay for about £150, connect it to your pc/laptop and see if a lossless file through an external DAC improves the sound. You can sell any DAC of that ilk on again at no loss. You say that you were impressed with my source (which wasn't streamed by the way), so for me this is a way of getting an idea of what a circa £1k cd player would add to your system. I'm almost positive it's your cd player that is holding things up.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:

Thoughts please.

By the way PP, how do you find the Leema when playing (as my niece calls them) 'big cds'? If the sound is better than when you use your old amp, the source would be the issue.

Gerrardasnails:plastic penguin:

Thoughts please.

By the way PP, how do you find the Leema when playing (as my niece calls them) 'big cds'? If the sound is better than when you use your old amp, the source would be the issue.

If you mean 'big cds' by the amount of bass it chucks out, then it's pretty much 'as is' or if you're talking compilation (25-30 tracks) I don't know. Everything is all packed away until these pesky electricians have finished.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:Gerrardasnails:plastic penguin:

Thoughts please.

If you mean 'big cds' by the amount of bass it chucks out, then it's pretty much 'as is' or if you're talking compilation (25-30 tracks) I don't know. Everything is all packed away until these pesky electricians have finished.

Lol, I mean vinyl!

Gerrardasnails:plastic penguin:Gerrardasnails:plastic penguin:

Thoughts please.

Lol, I mean vinyl!

Ah, should've said 'sonic frisbees' then I would've cottoned on
emotion-5.gif
. No, TBH, as I said I only brought the Arcam out of retirement over the weekend, and only connected CDP, tuner and TV. Once the electricians finish today (fingers crossed) I'll give them both a really good work-out.

Had a chinwag today with the shop I bought the Leema and he feels, like most of you, the sources are letting it down and suggests that should be upgraded before the speakers. He says, strangely enough, from what I've told him, need a brighter sound - like me, however, he doesn't think the Leema, contrary to the reviews, it's bright.

"A bright sound? when I've had Arcams?" He says that the higher Alpha and budget DIVA ranges far outperform their price catagories, hence why they lend themselves to a sparkly top end. But suggests the Leema is currently being sold short.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:
Had a chinwag today with the shop I bought the Leema and he feels, like most of you, the sources are letting it down and suggests that should be upgraded before the speakers. He says, strangely enough, from what I've told him, need a brighter sound - like me, however, he doesn't think the Leema, contrary to the reviews, it's bright.

"A bright sound? when I've had Arcams?" He says that the higher Alpha and budget DIVA ranges far outperform their price catagories, hence why they lend themselves to a sparkly top end. But suggests the Leema is currently being sold short.

To be honest, I found your cd player to be a bit bright so I can see what he means.

Gerrardasnails:plastic penguin:

To be honest, I found your cd player to be a bit bright so I can see what he means.

That's interesting, Gerrard - he described the CD73 as "snug" sounding, or not open enough. He was referring to the DIVA and Alpha amps as sparkly (something I've always banged on about
emotion-7.gif
), yet seems to go against the tenets of most reviews and a lot of posters on here.

I think when you heard cdp at your place - I agree with you - it did strike me as 'brighter' than I was used to.... but only put it down to room acoustics.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:Gerrardasnails:plastic penguin:

That's interesting, Gerrard - he described the CD73 as "snug" sounding, or not open enough. He was referring to the DIVA and Alpha amps as sparkly (something I've always banged on about
emotion-7.gif
), yet seems to go against the tenets of most reviews and a lot of posters on here.

I think when you heard cdp at your place - I agree with you - it did strike me as 'brighter' than I was used to.... but only put it down to room acoustics.

Have you tried your turntable with the two amps yet PP?

Gerrardasnails:plastic penguin:Gerrardasnails:plastic penguin:

emotion-7.gif

Have you tried your turntable with the two amps yet PP?

No, not yet. I'm still trying to clear up the mess. Not even connected any hi-fi components - probably won't till Sunday.

All I say is listen to Arcam Alpha 7 upwards or A65+. They won't compete with your Moon or even the Leema in many respects, but you'll be surprised how good they are for the price. In fact, I could lend you my Arcam for a couple of weeks....
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

there's a mint a 65 plus going for e160 on a site local to me pp. after reading so many good things about arcam (most from your good self) i bid e110 for it yesterday but got turned down, i think e130 would get it. there's nouwt wrong with my as-500, i'm just curious to hear this fabled arcam warmth really, iand i'm sure it would be easy to sell on. i'll keep you posted...

A

Anonymous

Buy a DacMagic. Easy to sell on if it's not right for you, will probably fit the bill sonically and is jolly useful being a multi-input DAC! Then add Spotify Premium...

A

Anonymous

igglebert:Buy a DacMagic. Easy to sell on if it's not right for you, will probably fit the bill sonically and is jolly useful being a multi-input DAC! Then add Spotify Premium...hi iggle..

i've got a v dac. i'd just like to try an arcam amp
emotion-21.gif

ps... you were talking to me weren't you? i'm kinda drunk at the mo
emotion-11.gif

maxflinn:there's a mint a 65 plus going for e160 on a site local to me pp. after reading so many good things about arcam (most from your good self) i bid e110 for it yesterday but got turned down, i think e130 would get it. there's nouwt wrong with my as-500, i'm just curious to hear this fabled arcam warmth really, iand i'm sure it would be easy to sell on. i'll keep you posted...

Let's get it into perspective. The Arcam A65+ and the Alphas are fantasic for the money, hence why I bore people about their qualities. I've heard most of the big hitters below a grand, and yes, they do better the Arcams in certain areas. But for overall tonal balance and a gorgeous top end (with MAs) I've not heard better. Believe me I've heard Roksan Kandy LIII and K2, Cyrus, Naim, Primare I21, Rotel RA-06... and non, in terms of outright synergy, come close. The only exception was the Creek Evo II, but lacked the inputs I need.

If you can afford it, Max, go and try it.... you'll be amazed.

A

Anonymous

maxflinn:
igglebert:Buy a DacMagic. Easy to sell on if it's not right for you, will probably fit the bill sonically and is jolly useful being a multi-input DAC! Then add Spotify Premium...hi iggle..

i've got a v dac. i'd just like to try an arcam amp
emotion-21.gif

ps... you were talking to me weren't you? i'm kinda drunk at the mo
emotion-11.gif

No, PP...glad you like the VDAC though!

igglebert:Buy a DacMagic. Easy to sell on if it's not right for you, will probably fit the bill sonically and is jolly useful being a multi-input DAC! Then add Spotify Premium...

The dealer I spoke to today suggested MF DAC, although not sure on model. Far better then the rDAC according to him.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts