Synergy synergy synergy! Help. I need help!...

Unpacked the CD73T, MAs and Arcam Alpha 7 and the synergy between each component is spot-on. The Leema, still packed away, is a fabulous amp and is clearly better than the Arcam but doesn't quite have the chemistry with the MAs.

Can't pinpoint why it sounds more complete than the Leema/MA, but it sounds .... right. The Pulse and RS6s is more like Katie Price and Peter Andre, whereas the Arc/MA is akin to Terry and June; very smooth and dovetails perfectly. That said, I still love the Pulse and it means speakers that will compliment the Leema's talents.... at some point.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:
Unpacked the CD73T, MAs and Arcam Alpha 7 and the synergy between each component is spot-on. The Leema, still packed away, is a fabulous amp and is clearly better than the Arcam but doesn't quite have the chemistry with the MAs.

Can't pinpoint why it sounds more complete than the Leema/MA, but it sounds .... right. The Pulse and RS6s is more like Katie Price and Peter Andre, whereas the Arc/MA is akin to Terry and June; very smooth and dovetails perfectly. That said, I still love the Pulse and it means speakers that will compliment the Leema's talents.... at some point.

Looks like you'll need to change your signature back then PP.
emotion-1.gif

JamesOK:plastic penguin:

emotion-1.gif

Nah - it'll take more than a lump of metal and wires to make me backtrack...
emotion-21.gif

I've narrowed down my speaker choice to: PMC, Leema Xone, Spendor and wait for it... are you sitting down? ATC.
emotion-4.gif

This evening I put the Leema back - more out of boredom than anything else - and wow! the qualities are there with every aspect, even if the synergy isn't quite as tight as the Arcam. Just as well I don't have the A65 anymore
emotion-4.gif
. I know the budget end of Arcam gets stick on this forum, but, for me, the Arcam is still the best budget/lower mid range amp around.

Nope, I'm totally schhhober. Hic!

plastic penguin:JamesOK:plastic penguin:

emotion-1.gif

emotion-21.gif

I've narrowed down my speaker choice to: PMC, Leema Xone, Spendor and wait for it... are you sitting down? ATC.
emotion-4.gif

Hi plastic penguin

ATC was inevitable
emotion-4.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

MUSICRAFT:plastic penguin:JamesOK:plastic penguin:

emotion-1.gif

emotion-21.gif

emotion-4.gif

Hi plastic penguin

ATC was inevitable
emotion-4.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Inevitable? well, they are closed-back design so I'll see how they stack up at lower volumes nearer the time.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin:I've narrowed down my speaker choice to: PMC, Leema Xone, Spendor and wait for it... are you sitting down? ATC.
emotion-4.gif

Hi PP,

which ATC will you be considering? I can say that IMHO, the 11s remain very detailed, transparent and musical at low volume, and that even with Primare amplification that some say also doesn't come to life until higher volumes. Enjoy auditioning
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

you've ruled out the dm 2/7s pp? did you get to hear a pair?

maxflinn:you've ruled out the dm 2/7s pp? did you get to hear a pair?

It breaks my heart to say I've knocked Dyns on the head. More truthfully, I need a speaker that is as flexible as possible in terms of positioning, hence ATC and Spendor (the latter probably SA-1). To make the Leema really sing I'll probably need the Focus or Contour, but they don't offer that variety. Shame, I'm limited by room topology, otherwise the Dyns would be a part of the short-list.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:

It breaks my heart to say I've knocked Dyns on the head. More truthfully, I need a speaker that is as flexible as possible in terms of positioning, hence ATC and Spendor (the latter probably SA-1). To make the Leema really sing I'll probably need the Focus or Contour, but they don't offer that variety. Shame, I'm limited by room topology, otherwise the Dyns would be a part of the short-list.

Hello mr PP. I really rate the Spendor SA1 as an excellent speaker. Really natural sounding.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:

I have to say that I wasn't that impressed by the ATC 11s. If I were buying standmounts, I would definitely listen to the SA1s - they look lovely and after a few weeks with my Viennas, I would listen to the Haydn's.

brittondave:plastic penguin:

Hello mr PP. I really rate the Spendor SA1 as an excellent speaker. Really natural sounding.

Hello brittondave. I did hear the SA1s when I auditioned the Leema last spring. Also, the MAs GS10s, and both sounded really good. The Spendors had a more revealing sound, only choked off at the time by the lack of bass extension compared to the GSs. The auditioning room, on the other hand, was bigger and less furniture. I need to hear them at home to be sure. Yes, they looked gorgeous.

Gerrardasnails:plastic penguin:

I have to say that I wasn't that impressed by the ATC 11s. If I were buying standmounts, I would definitely listen to the SA1s - they look lovely and after a few weeks with my Viennas, I would listen to the Haydn's.

The only snag about Viennas is there are very few outlets. I think the nearest is up in the Midlands which makes it, for me anyway, a little tricky in terms of shipping and possibly returns if they don't sound the biz.

I've decided floorstanders are a little too overpowering for our living room, so standmounters + a compact sub is the sensible solution.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:

ah, that does make sense pp, i was going to mention iggles avi speakers as he really rates them, but of course they are active which would mean flogging your leema
emotion-3.gif

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:I have to say that I wasn't that impressed by the ATC 11s. If I were buying standmounts, I would definitely listen to the SA1s - they look lovely and after a few weeks with my Viennas, I would listen to the Haydn's.

i can understand this - i was initially underwhelmed by my 19s. once i had got used to an accurate, uncoloured sound with a flat response, i understood why they are so well regarded, but it took a while to adjust. now i think my 19s are the best standmounts i've ever heard, they do natural, expressive and organic as well as knock the wall down if the music demands it, with a midrange that makes it seem like the singer is in the room.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:Gerrardasnails:plastic penguin:

The only snag about Viennas is there are very few outlets. I think the nearest is up in the Midlands which makes it, for me anyway, a little tricky in terms of shipping and possibly returns if they don't sound the biz.

I've decided floorstanders are a little too overpowering for our living room, so standmounters + a compact sub is the sensible solution.

Some Sevenoaks, Holborn being the nearest stock VA now.

Gerrardasnails:plastic penguin:Gerrardasnails:plastic penguin:

Interesting. In terms of presentation, how do they differ from the RS6s?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:Gerrardasnails:plastic penguin:Gerrardasnails:plastic penguin:

I haven't listened to the standmounts but my Mozarts are on another level. They cost almost 4 times as much so not a great surprise. One thing that was instantly noticeable is that when I used to turn the volume up with my RS6s, the sound changed as it got really loud. With my Mozarts, the sound just gets louder. The soundstage is massive and the mids are smooth. Bass is big but very musical whereas I know now that the bass I had before was just big and fast - I now hear range with the bass. And, the RS6s as you know are very nicely made. The VAs look like a stunning piece of furniture.

Gerrardasnails:plastic penguin:Gerrardasnails:plastic penguin:Gerrardasnails:plastic penguin:

I haven't listened to the standmounts but my Mozarts are on another level. They cost almost 4 times as much so not a great surprise. One thing that was instantly noticeable is that when I used to turn the volume up with my RS6s, the sound changed as it got really loud. With my Mozarts, the sound just gets louder. The soundstage is massive and the mids are smooth. Bass is big but very musical whereas I know now that the bass I had before was just big and fast - I now hear range with the bass. And, the RS6s as you know are very nicely made. The VAs look like a stunning piece of furniture.

Cheers, Gerrard, certainly worth investigating. BTW, are they rear or front ported?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:Gerrardasnails:plastic penguin:Gerrardasnails:plastic penguin:Gerrardasnails:plastic penguin:

Cheers, Gerrard, certainly worth investigating. BTW, are they rear or front ported?

The Mozarts are rear ported.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin:
I need a speaker that is as flexible as possible in terms of positioning, hence ATC and Spendor (the latter probably SA-1).

I know you are interested in PMCs too, and I find my DB1is to be very flexible in terms of positioning. Being right up against the wall seems to do nothing to the bass, although I have them pulled out about 40 cm because I love the holographic nature of the sound and the soundstage. If I hadn't been looking for compromise (i.e. something that could be tucked away if I move my system into the bedroom) I would've gone for the TB2is. The DB1is have great bass FOR THEIR SIZE but really they are a bit of a compromise.

ID.:plastic penguin:

I need a speaker that is as flexible as possible in terms of positioning, hence ATC and Spendor (the latter probably SA-1).

I know you are interested in PMCs too, and I find my DB1is to be very flexible in terms of positioning. Being right up against the wall seems to do nothing to the bass, although I have them pulled out about 40 cm because I love the holographic nature of the sound and the soundstage. If I hadn't been looking for compromise (i.e. something that could be tucked away if I move my system into the bedroom) I would've gone for the TB2is. The DB1is have great bass FOR THEIR SIZE but really they are a bit of a compromise.

I love to think the DB1s are THE solution - maybe they are - but I found when I had a home trial they needed at least 12" from the back wall, about the same as the MAs. Fabulous speaker though.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin:

I love to think the DB1s are THE solution - maybe they are - but I found when I had a home trial they needed at least 12" from the back wall, about the same as the MAs. Fabulous speaker though.

Interesting. I've noticed comments seem to be split, so I've seen a number of ppl on this forum saying the DB1s are fine and may even benefit from being close to a wall or in a less than ideal placement, but there are also others who have found the bass gets boomy close to a wall. Differences in rooms or differences in perception? I'd love to know.

Sales person at Audio-T said to me about a year ago, when I mentioned my set-up: "Well, your Arcam and MAs are extremely good combination, and you're talking about a substantial upgrade to better it..."; I took this with a pinch of salt - salesmans spew and all that nonesence.

Another thing: I had a look at various WHFI mags last night from 2006/2007 (blimey I was bored) and every advertisment for Monitor Audio, there invariably seems to be an Arcam amp or Receiver (or an Arcam product of some sort) in the background. In addition, Arcam, so I was told some while back, used to test their amps with Monitor Audio speakers.

Edit - Does this mean the current speakers and sources are strangling the Leema's talents or is the Arcam a superior machine?

Am I going off my trolley? or is there justification for my concerns?

Anyway, the electrician is coming back at 9 this morning, so I'm signing off for a few hours.

Any feedback is welcome.

A

Anonymous

ID.:plastic penguin:

Interesting. I've noticed comments seem to be split, so I've seen a number of ppl on this forum saying the DB1s are fine and may even benefit from being close to a wall or in a less than ideal placement, but there are also others who have found the bass gets boomy close to a wall. Differences in rooms or differences in perception? I'd love to know.

hi pp,

I have just had a play with my db1i's and at the moment they are 32cm from the rear and wall and towed in, for my room this is there optimum position, one review i read stated there optimum position was 15cm from the rear wall to get the best out of them, so i guess its a case of room acoustics, The pmc's can also go on the wall with the PMC BRKT-DB1i wall brackets so they are obviously designed to go close to walls without sounding boomy, in conclusion i would say they are not fussy about positioning but play around with positioning in your room to get the best out of them on a home demo and see what you think.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts