Synergy synergy synergy! Help. I need help!...

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I agree about the sparkly top end of the Alphas. My Alpha 9 has a stunning soundstage that envelopes me and a sparkling top end that, while not strictly accurate, worked wonderfully with a lot of my electronic music. Although my current set up is far more neutral, accurate and natural, I do miss that sparkle a bit.

They are a very underrated brand, especially on this forum. They are an amp that is geared for long listening sessions. I've mentioned many times here about the virtual surround sound you get even at low volumes (although that's N/A with large living rooms).

That said, I've far from given up on the Leema, however, I don't agree it's bright. Totally the opposite: The Pulse, with my sources and speakers, sound a little warmer than the Arcam.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Well, my A65+ is still boxed in the loft. I'd be prepared to do a straight swap for you PP.
emotion-4.gif

jiggyjoe

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Give this a try,

Block both of the ports in your RS6's (if you don't have bungs then use rolled up socks).

This should reduce the bass output around the 50-100hz region giving you a leaner brighter balance and increasing really low bass slightly.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I took some time going through all the threads here and I found the discussions are very interesting indeed.

Though I like my present setup, I would like to go a step further so I ordered my Leema Pulse II a month ago. I bought this amplifier without audition and decision was made purely based on the feedbacks from various hifi forum discussions (I know it is a bit of a gamble).

The dealer has informed me that my Leema Pulse II will be arriving next week and I will report if I encounter the same situation as pp (hopefully not !!! ).

Inter_Voice:

I took some time going through all the threads here and I found the discussions are very interesting indeed.

Though I like my present setup, I would like to go a step further so I ordered my Leema Pulse II a month ago. I bought this amplifier without audition and decision was made purely based on the feedbacks from various hifi forum discussions (I know it is a bit of a gamble).

The dealer has informed me that my Leema Pulse II will be arriving next week and I will report if I encounter the same situation as pp (hopefully not !!! ).

Don't get me wrong - the Leema is a gorgeous machine, and sounds fantastic.

Everyone (well most) have said it is the source(s), so, being very positive, I'm working on that hypothesis.

You should love the Pulse.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I am not saying Leema Pulse is not a great amplifier otherwise I will not order one. I am now using my OPPO BDP 83 as CD and SACD playback and I may have the same situation as yours, i.e. the source may need further upgrade.

Inter_Voice:I am not saying Leema Pulse is not a great amplifier otherwise I will not order one. I am now using my OPPO BDP 83 as CD and SACD playback and I may have the same situation as yours, i.e. the source may need further upgrade.

Think your OPPO should be better than my CD73 and aged DVD player, but in isolation, as mentioned earlier in the thresd, there's no inherent problem.

matthewpiano

The CD73 is one of the best affordable CD players ever made and I still think you'd struggle to better it with anything below about £700 now PP. I think, rather than being about the quality of your CD player, your issues are about synergy, and whether the Leema sound is going to be for you. The synergy is clearly not right between the CD73 and the Pulse and correcting this might well make the Pulse sound much more how you want it to. However, you also have to be prepared for the fact that the Leema approach just might not be for you.

T

the record spot

More than that I'd suggest MP - the gap between entry-level and the next step up might be small in terms of gain up to even £1000 for digital sources. Certainly, based on my own listening experiences this past few years, the biggest steps up have been via amps and speakers. Nothing else came close. The current DacMagic trials are showing that, not surprisingly, the Apple Express is as good as I thought it was, the DAC in the Sony TV isn't that bad and I need to ensure I have a good listen in detail over the next couple of weeks.

PP, as for your choices, if the Leema leaves a nagging doubt, then I'd send it on. It sounds identical to my own experiences with the current CDP when it arrived. Except it wasn't the player holding things back, rather the Marantz PM6010-KI I used at the time. Finally, after about six amplifiers, the Sansui turned up and that ticked the boxes. You're not getting that for now, so I'd suggest you go back to the A65+ and cut your "losses" for now. They're not going to be that in the grand scheme of things in the short term (or maybe then longer one).

A

Anonymous

When I auditioned for a £600 (ish) CDP in 2005 I listened to the Roksan Kandy MKIII against the Arcam CD73T. It was very obvious that the Kandy was more forward sounding and the Arcam rather warm. I bought the Roksan but a couple of years later replaced it with something very slightly more neutral, the MF XRay 8.

My point is that the Arcam 73T is quite warm and smooth sounding so a different source might just sort it for PP. The DACMagic strikes me as a good option to test this theory.

A

Anonymous

An expensive option, that's all. I don't think it needs to get that expensive.

igglebert:An expensive option, that's all. I don't think it needs to get that expensive.

No, true. But with a DAC (brill once I've decided) it'll take me ages to set up, and at least with a CDP it's pretty much 'Idiot Proof', just plug and go. Even if the Cyrus is too bright, at least it should open up the Pulse... and I won't have to spend a penny (hopefully).

matthewpiano:The CD73 is one of the best affordable CD players ever made and I still think you'd struggle to better it with anything below about £700 now PP. I think, rather than being about the quality of your CD player, your issues are about synergy, and whether the Leema sound is going to be for you. The synergy is clearly not right between the CD73 and the Pulse and correcting this might well make the Pulse sound much more how you want it to. However, you also have to be prepared for the fact that the Leema approach just might not be for you.

Pretty much like yourself, sound-per-pound the CD73T is as good as any CDPs in the sub-£1,000 arena. TBVH, when I last auditioned the Leema before purchase, I did say on here, compared to the Caspian, it's a little trickier to system match. I also think that Arcam is a good match with Leema, it's just the CD73T, Marantz tuner and Sony DVD player is not good enough to make the most of the Pulse's talents.

I like to think I'm as big an Arcam fan as one could reasonably find, and for over a decade remained loyal, but, sadly, that loyalty will soon halt.

At this stage, I'm not prepared to give up on the Pulse: Despite the slight descrepancy, it is still a wonderful amp... every system (or component) is matchable, just that some are easier than others. Still work-in-progress...
emotion-21.gif

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
At last my long awaiting Leema Pulse has eventually arrived !!!

I immediately plugged in all cables and have a go. Even though this is a brand new machine without running in my first impression is that the music quality has a big noticeable improvement over my NAD C355BEE. The bass is more firm and not boomy as compared with NAD. The highs are more ear friendly and the vocals are warm and natural (which is out of my expectation as most reviews stated this machine is a bit lean in the mid range). This amplifier wins clarity and produces wider sound stage than NAD. I can only say Leema is a different league over NAD.

This amplifier matches perfectly with my MA RX1. I tried all kinds of music such as classical, jazz, vocals, blues, electric and pop music etc and I found this machine can produce a very honest sound. What an amplifier. I am totally satisfied with it !!!

I will run in this machine for some time and I am sure there will be further improvement.

There is only one thing that annoys me. My speakers were completely silent when my previous NAD was switched on but for this Leema I can hear a low humming 50Hz noise (when volume increases) when my ears are closed to 1 ft from the speakers. I believe this is due to Leema is earthing its mains (3 wires) while NAD used only two wires (without the earth). I will remove the earthing cable from the mains plug and see if the 50Hz noise will go away.

A

Anonymous

Inter_Voice: I will remove the earthing cable from the mains plug and see if the 50Hz noise will go away.DON'T do that!!

Check to see if you have an earth loop, which is what it sounds like.

Inter_Voice:

At last my long awaiting Leema Pulse has eventually arrived !!!

I immediately plugged in all cables and have a go. Even though this is a brand new machine without running in my first impression is that the music quality has a big noticeable improvement over my NAD C355BEE. The bass is more firm and not boomy as compared with NAD. The highs are more ear friendly and the vocals are warm and natural (which is out of my expectation as most reviews stated this machine is a bit lean in the mid range). This amplifier wins clarity and produces wider sound stage than NAD. I can only say Leema is a different league over NAD.

This amplifier matches perfectly with my MA RX1. I tried all kinds of music such as classical, jazz, vocals, blues, electric and pop music etc and I found this machine can produce a very honest sound. What an amplifier. I am totally satisfied with it !!!

I will run in this machine for some time and I am sure there will be further improvement.

There is only one thing that annoys me. My speakers were completely silent when my previous NAD was switched on but for this Leema I can hear a low humming 50Hz noise (when volume increases) when my ears are closed to 1 ft from the speakers. I believe this is due to Leema is earthing its mains (3 wires) while NAD used only two wires (without the earth). I will remove the earthing cable from the mains plug and see if the 50Hz noise will go away.

Well done! it is a wonderful amplifier, without any question.

As regards the humming sound: I had the same problem, albeit on headphones only. Leema have rectified it and it sounds great. Shame about my sources....

Enjoy the sweet sounds.
emotion-21.gif

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Grottyash:

Inter_Voice: I will remove the earthing cable from the mains plug and see if the 50Hz noise will go away.DON'T do that!!

Check to see if you have an earth loop, which is what it sounds like.

Thanks for the advise. I will then unplug the amplifier's power plug and insert it in another wall socket and see what will happen to the humming noise before I disconnect the earthing cable from the Leema power plug.

Since my NAD and my OPPO both use only two wires in the machines without the earthing, I believe taking out the earthing from the Leema plug will have no safety hazard unless I have missed out something.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Inter_Voice:Since my NAD and my OPPO both use only two wires in the machines
without the earthing, I believe taking out the earthing from the Leema
plug will have no safety hazard unless I have missed out something. Yes, you have.

http://www.double-insulated.com

Unless the amp is certified Class II, removing the earth wire could potentially result in death.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Crocodile:

Inter_Voice:Since my NAD and my OPPO both use only two wires in the machines without the earthing, I believe taking out the earthing from the Leema plug will have no safety hazard unless I have missed out something. Yes, you have.

Unless the amp is certified Class II, removing the earth wire could potentially result in death.

Thanks for the safety alert.

Yesterday I noticed that the hum noise increased when I turned the amplifier volume up which indicates the noise is from the inputs and is not the problem of the amplifier itself. What I will do is to find out what causes this earth loop by disconnecting the amplifier inputs one by one and hopefully I can trace the source. Anyway sorry for diverting the topic a bit.

Coming back to the issue of synergy, yesterday after a long period (a few hours) of CD and SCAD playbacks at moderate volume from the Leema I have no feeling of fatigue at all which is not the same when I listen to my NAD. My NAD though can also produce good music to my ears I feel tire after long hours of listening. Somebody told me that the fatigue was mainly caused by unwanted frequencies from harmonic distortions (I cannot say it is right or wrong as I am no sound engineer).

People normally say MA RX1 is a bright speaker (may be due to its metal HF dome) while Leema also has adverse comment on mid range, such as (quoting) "The main warning note we would sound is about voices, which sometimes seem just a shade dry and less clear than we'd expect, ....." To the contrary my ears tell me that with these two combination the high, mid and low range are clear and firm with very good sound stage. The separation of musical instruments are outstanding and I can hear sounds not heard before using my NAD. Actually I found the vocals are even warmer and feel more natural than my NAD. Is it Synergy comes into play ?

Inter_Voice:Crocodile:

Inter_Voice:Since my NAD and my OPPO both use only two wires in the machines without the earthing, I believe taking out the earthing from the Leema plug will have no safety hazard unless I have missed out something. Yes, you have.

Thanks for the safety alert.

Yesterday I noticed that the hum noise increased when I turned the amplifier volume up which indicates the noise is from the inputs and is not the problem of the amplifier itself. What I will do is to find out what causes this earth loop by disconnecting the amplifier inputs one by one and hopefully I can trace the source. Anyway sorry for diverting the topic a bit.

Coming back to the issue of synergy, yesterday after a long period (a few hours) of CD and SCAD playbacks at moderate volume from the Leema I have no feeling of fatigue at all which is not the same when I listen to my NAD. My NAD though can also produce good music to my ears I feel tire after long hours of listening. Somebody told me that the fatigue was mainly caused by unwanted frequencies from harmonic distortions (I cannot say it is right or wrong as I am no sound engineer).

People normally say MA RX1 is a bright speaker (may be due to its metal HF dome) while Leema also has adverse comment on mid range, such as (quoting) "The main warning note we would sound is about voices, which sometimes seem just a shade dry and less clear than we'd expect, ....." To the contrary my ears tell me that with these two combination the high, mid and low range are clear and firm with very good sound stage. The separation of musical instruments are outstanding and I can hear sounds not heard before using my NAD. Actually I found the vocals are even warmer and feel more natural than my NAD. Is it Synergy comes into play ?

Your description of the Pulse is similar to mine. I've got, supposedly, bright speakers yet the Pulse is lovely and organic with no hint of cloying or brittleness to the treble.

Whether you've got perfect synergy or not I don't know, as it's the same with any aspect - it's a personal thing.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Totally agreed pp that the preference is very personal. In my case since there is a huge difference in performance between Pulse and NAD that I can immediate notice it. May be after some time I may discover something lacking in Pulse (or in other items) and might think of further upgrade in future.

Back to to issue of 50Hz noise, I have tried to eliminate it but not successful. The noise is not very noticeable in the speakers however when I plug in the earphone the noise level is so high that there is no way of using headphones even at very low volume. I am thinking of seeking the help from Leema. You mentioned that you also got the phones problem and had sent it back to Leema for service. May I know how you did it (by phone or e-mail). How did you send the Pulse as it is quite heavy.

TRENDING THREADS