Switch to computer based music: what type of amplification?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I have a bit of a dilemma, or trilemma even. I am switching to a system where all my music is stored on a dedicated netbook. It will be played on MA GR20's and sometimes a (Sennheiser 540reference & 595) headphone. I now have a MF V-DAC and NAD320BEE amp. But I would like to make a major step in quality of the amplification (especially for more complex classical music) for both speakers and cans. So I need just one input, either rca line (if I keep the VDAC) or USB (I could sell the VDAC then, although I think the VDAC is good enough for me)

So the options are:
[*]buy a better amp with an excellent headphone out (but which)
[*]buy a better amp (MF, Primare, ...) without a headphone, plus a separate headphone amp
(of course it will have lots of inputs and buttons in both cases that I will never use - seems a bit wasteful with only one source). [*]buy a headphone amp that can also be used as a (passive?) preamp connected to a power amp. Perhaps the MF XCANv8p would be an options (no remote volume control though), but paired to what power amp? Any other suggestions/experiences?
All comments and suggestions are welcome, assuming I would spend around up to 1000-1200 euro.

Thanks!

Pete10

idc

Hi Pete10. Humm, still thinking.........

1. I have listened to the 595s through a Yamaha A-S700 integrated amp which is now on Amazon for £385, I think it was £500 when I first came out. I thought the 595s really suited the amp.

2. I got my first headphone amp because the Rega Mira (now the Mira3) did not have a headphone out. It worked well with the X-CANS. You could try it with the V-CAN or look for X-CANS/V2/V3 on ebay.

3. Your most expensive option. You can try the DAC in the V8P and see how it compares to the VDAC. As for what power amps, well MF will direct you to their own expensive ones. That is the end of my knowledge on that matter!

A

Anonymous

idc:
3. Your most expensive option. You can try the DAC in the V8P and see how it compares to the VDAC. As for what power amps, well MF will direct you to their own expensive ones. That is the end of my knowledge on that matter!

Thanks idc. This is definitely more expensive with the current MF power amps, but perhaps there are some 2nd hand options. Have you ever tried the v8p as passive pre amp?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts