WiiM AMP connect to a pair of KEF R3 Meta?

MartinSvM

Nov 28, 2023
Visit site
WiiM Amp is a all-in-one streaming amplifier box, designed to provide both streaming capabilities and amplification to passive speakers. It comes equipped with HDMI ARC, Sub Out and a USB port, enabling playback of local music via USB. It delivers a continuous power of 120W per channel at 4 ohms load, with both channels driven.
I have already a new set of KEF R3 Meta and they are connected to a 20 year old Yamaha receiver.

Is this Wiim Amp, considering its specs and price an amplifier to buy?

Symples

Aug 12, 2021
Visit site
Very interesting little unit.

Juzzie Wuzzie

At £300 for (effectively) a Streamer + DAC + Amplifier, it would have to be considered high scoring on the value for money spectrum. If you consider the WiiM Pro Plus was best music streamer under £300 (£219 RRP) you are effectively getting an amplifier for £80 which isn't to be laughed at.

That said, given the price tag on your speakers, it could be worth while looking further up the all-in-one chain (especially with some of the sales currently on - Audiolab Omnia / CA Evo / etc).

Reactions: Gray and Al ears
WiiM Amp is a all-in-one streaming amplifier box, designed to provide both streaming capabilities and amplification to passive speakers. It comes equipped with HDMI ARC, Sub Out and a USB port, enabling playback of local music via USB. It delivers a continuous power of 120W per channel at 4 ohms load, with both channels driven.
I have already a new set of KEF R3 Meta and they are connected to a 20 year old Yamaha receiver.

Judging by specs alone I would say yes.
How well it will actually drive your speakers is something only you can decide.

GroeneLeeuw

Nov 4, 2019
Visit site
Some tests:

Try asking here:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/wiim-amp-discussion.47096/

Plenty of people using the amp, maybe there´re a few with the KEFs as well.
But I agree with Al ears, judging by specs it should be fine. The amp doubles its power from 8 to 4ohm (60w-120w), that´s a very good sign.
No good asking there, as the paper specs say it will drive them, but whether it actually can - to the point that it makes the R3s sound like a pair of R3s are supposed to sound - is another matter entirely.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Why not purchase one off richer sounds and tell us all how it goes? they have a good returns policy and backed up by a good bricks and mortar store warranty. I would not by direct from Wiim.

being brutally honest, absolutely no one here is going to be able to tell you.

Reactions: nopiano
No good asking there, as the paper specs say it will drive them, but whether it actually can - to the point that it makes the R3s sound like a pair of R3s are supposed to sound - is another matter entirely.
My point entirely. It should drive them yes but drive them to a point where they perform at their best? That still remains to be seen....

Why not purchase one off richer sounds and tell us all how it goes? they have a good returns policy and backed up by a good bricks and mortar store warranty. I would not by direct from Wiim.

being brutally honest, absolutely no one here is going to be able to tell you.

Promoting Richersounds is fine but you're assuming the OP is in the UK

Gray

At £300 for (effectively) a Streamer + DAC + Amplifier, it would have to be considered high scoring on the value for money spectrum. If you consider the WiiM Pro Plus was best music streamer under £300 (£219 RRP) you are effectively getting an amplifier for £80 which isn't to be laughed at.
Those were my thoughts when I saw it.
On the face of it, it looks like a real bargain.

manicm

NO, you want to pair a $300 all-in-one to a $2200 speaker?

People, please stop being stupid. Yes stupid. As good as the WiiM amp may be, do you really think a small 50w/channel amp will get the best out of the R3 Meta?????

Do you want to make me mad on a Tuesday night???? Go ahead, make my day punk.

nightanddaygamechangers

Nov 19, 2023
Visit site
I’ve just seen a review of it pitted against a Fosi V3 with the bigger power supply, an SMSL SU-1 DAC, and a WiiM Pro, and it was outclassed for only $50 more.

For what is effectively an amp costing less than £100, I’d imagine it’s probably a bit of a waste of money with those speakers.

If budget is an issue, allocating less to the speakers, and more to the amp, might have been a better option.

Last edited:

Juzzie Wuzzie

Question is whether OP wants streaming or not. If no, spend the £300 (or more if possible) on an integrated amp that is "better" than the WiiM Amp. If yes, either: a) stick with the Yamaha and add (say) a WiiM mini for streaming purposes;or b) if budget is an issue, buy the WiiM Amp; or c) if budget is not an issue, look at better amp+dac+streamers.

NO, you want to pair a $300 all-in-one to a $2200 speaker?

People, please stop being stupid. Yes stupid. As good as the WiiM amp may be, do you really think a small 50w/channel amp will get the best out of the R3 Meta?????

Do you want to make me mad on a Tuesday night???? Go ahead, make my day punk.
I can understand, I went the other way and once had a £13000 pre power combo driving £700 speakers.....it worked very well. :)

Reactions: WayneKerr

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts