SVS streaming amp.

podknocker

I'm looking for a new streaming amp, without all the stuff in my Audiolab Omnia I never use and will never need. I'm looking at the Marantz M1 and the Denon Home Amp, along with a couple of NAD units. I want class D and a bit more power than my Omnia, but won't be needing the CD player, phono amp and I'm not that bothered about a flashy display now. I want it to disappear in my TV unit and then possibly buy a TV to go through it. I'll be keeping my QA3030i speakers until I can afford someting much better. I still want a HIFI Rose RS520 but it's a bit out of my price range at the moment. I've stumbled across this streaming amp and I wondered if anyone has one and could offer an opinion about its setup, sound quality and overall usability. It uses DTS PlayFi which I struggled with at first, but I use this app with my Omnia and it's very well behaved these days. https://www.richersounds.com/svs-prime-wireless-pro-soundbase-black/

Last edited:

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
SVS looks good on paper but you'd really need to home demo as on the face of it it looks like a retrograde step, Pod. Nice little box of tricks though(y)

Personally I'd be waiting until I could afford a real upgrade, but fully understand about itches :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jasonovich and Gray

Jasonovich

I'm looking for a new streaming amp, without all the stuff in my Audiolab Omnia I never use and will never need. I'm looking at the Marantz M1 and the Denon Home Amp, along with a couple of NAD units. I want class D and a bit more power than my Omnia, but won't be needing the CD player, phono amp and I'm not that bothered about a flashy display now. I want it to disappear in my TV unit and then possibly buy a TV to go through it. I'll be keeping my QA3030i speakers until I can afford someting much better. I still want a HIFI Rose RS520 but it's a bit out of my price range at the moment. I've stumbled across this streaming amp and I wondered if anyone has one and could offer an opinion about its setup, sound quality and overall usability. It uses DTS PlayFi which I struggled with at first, but I use this app with my Omnia and it's very well behaved these days. https://www.richersounds.com/svs-prime-wireless-pro-soundbase-black/
That's an interesting choice Pod, SVS I know them for their subwoofers. Having looked at some of the YT reviews, SVS Prime Wireless SoundBase seem to be very capable hardware. See below links.

View: https://youtu.be/bD_GwGQdB_k?si=gU410o5nNFsRPms7

View: https://youtu.be/XdMNIC-wchI?si=_G2JpJju5a6Zq0lD

View: https://youtu.be/oQsUxpZLOkg?si=w-Ghm4Vu3xcScane

Some marketing spill
View: https://youtu.be/faL6DDUYuts?si=6Z4lUuldwzn-Uzhq

Reactions: podknocker

podknocker

I think the RS520 and appropriate speakers are way down the line, as in might not happen. I'm trying to declutter really. Having a small streaming amp on my glass shelf and then a TV on the more sturdy top surface is what I'm wanting. At the moment, my laptop is on the Omnia and that's on a Canton DM75 sound base. I can control Spotify from my phone and PC, so all the clutter on the video unit can go. I can't fit a telly on there with all this other stuff and I really want to streamline the whole thing. Cabling and wiring everywhere is the last thing I want. I've moved on from separates, to far fewer things, but I could manage now with just a TV and streaming amp.

Reactions: Jasonovich

manicm

The SVS has one major dealbreaker for me - it uses DTS PlayFi as its streaming platform and it sucks.

For your needs nothing will beat the Marantz Model M1. You'd want to pair it with slightly warmer speakers so your 3030i's should be a great match.

The M1 seems to be a minor masterpiece from Marantz - and what's even better is that HEOS now has Tidal Connect and is Roon Ready - yes you read right Roon Ready as of today!

Revolutions

I understand the desire to tidy up your setup. Nothing wrong with that at all. It does seem worth highlighting that you’ll be spending 25% of the hifi rose by switching to have the same functionality & similar sound quality.

I’m not much of a saver, ie I’d be waiting for a bonus to buy the big, expensive thing, so I might opt to swap despite logic suggesting otherwise: your hifi has to make you happy.

Jasonovich

The SVS has one major dealbreaker for me - it uses DTS PlayFi as its streaming platform and it sucks.

For your needs nothing will beat the Marantz Model M1. You'd want to pair it with slightly warmer speakers so your 3030i's should be a great match.

The M1 seems to be a minor masterpiece from Marantz - and what's even better is that HEOS now has Tidal Connect and is Roon Ready - yes you read right Roon Ready as of today!
There's also the Quad Vena II for a similar price, not sure how this compares to Marantz M1 or the SVS but worth checking out.

1725987058680.png
1725987151180.png

podknocker

I had a Quad Vena 2 and the volume control went wrong just outside warranty. I opened the case, built like a tank, but the pot was a sealed unit so no chance of using electrical contact spray to clean. IAG wanted £100 to fix and return. It went in the bin. I hate Quad and won't touch them again.

I feel the same about the Marantz M1 and it's slightly lean sound. My QA3030i need less warmth and softness I currently suffer with the Omnia.

Last edited:

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
I understand the desire to tidy up your setup. Nothing wrong with that at all. It does seem worth highlighting that you’ll be spending 25% of the hifi rose by switching to have the same functionality & similar sound quality.

I’m not much of a saver, ie I’d be waiting for a bonus to buy the big, expensive thing, so I might opt to swap despite logic suggesting otherwise: your hifi has to make you happy.
I'm not a saver either. I just wait for the product to be at the right price and a nice interest free credit deal to surface then I pounce :) I'm really fortunate to now own my final system.

twinkletoes

I had a Quad Vena 2 and the volume control went wrong just outside warranty. I opened the case, built like a tank, but the pot was a sealed unit so no chance of using electrical contact spray to clean. IAG wanted £100 to fix and return. It went in bin. I hate Quad and won't touch them again.

I feel the same about the Marantz M1 and it's slightly lean sound. My QA3030i need less warmth and softness I currently suffer with the Omnia.
Might not be the model you wanted but what about HiFi Rose RS201E, premium sound have them for 1300 if you can stretch that far.

podknocker

Might not be the model you wanted but what about HiFi Rose RS201E, premium sound have them for 1300 if you can stretch that far.

Terrible review, but thanks for the info. I reckon I will listen to the Marantz M1 with my speakers at some point and hopefully I will get a tidy TV cabinet and a better sound. I listen to tunes through my Sennheiser HD600 late at night and it's staggering how much better it all sounds. My Omnia/QA3030i setup sounds so safe, flat and dull and I need a brighter, cleaner and more nimble sound.

twinkletoes

Terrible review, but thanks for the info. I reckon I will listen to the Marantz M1 with my speakers at some point and hopefully I will get a tidy TV cabinet and a better sound. I listen to tunes through my Sennheiser HD600 late at night and it's staggering how much better it all sounds. My Omnia/QA3030i setup sounds so safe, flat and dull and I need a brighter, cleaner and more nimble sound.
Fair enough,

In my opinion, it might also be worth the time to listen to another set of speakers with your current amp you'll notice more of a difference I feel. You might have "to much of good thing" situation going. might be a cheaper "upgrade" path for you. If you're generally happy with your Omnia's functionality.

But M1 looks to be a tidy little system. Hope you get it sorted.

Jasonovich

I had a Quad Vena 2 and the volume control went wrong just outside warranty. I opened the case, built like a tank, but the pot was a sealed unit so no chance of using electrical contact spray to clean. IAG wanted £100 to fix and return. It went in the bin. I hate Quad and won't touch them again.

Aaaagh that was a bad experience, I can't blame you. Yep, I'll pull the raspberry lever, promise to do better next time :ROFLMAO:

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
Fair enough,

In my opinion, it might also be worth the time to listen to another set of speakers with your current amp you'll notice more of a difference I feel. You might have "to much of good thing" situation going. might be a cheaper "upgrade" path for you. If you're generally happy with your Omnia's functionality.

But M1 looks to be a tidy little system. Hope you get it sorted.
Yep, speakers usually bring the biggest change in presentation. I'd also be having a look at IKEA for a new media unit, they do some decent stuff. Far cheaper than ditching a perfectly good hifi front end... but appreciate we're not all the same.

Last edited:

Fandango Andy

apart from more power that you probably won't need/use, what do these amps offer you that the omnia doesn't? Is there an argument for saving your money? you will be £800 closer to the HIFI Rose!

podknocker

My Omnia has lots of stuff I don't need and it sounds really soft and dull. I want an amp that's small, efficient and sounds brighter and detailed. The Marantz M1 is what I'm looking for, but wondered if anyone had the SVS unit. My current setup is really cluttered and I can fit a smaller streaming amp in my TV unit and then get a TV on top. I hate the sound of my Omnia and the QA3030i speakers, compared to my headphones plugged into my new PC. I want to reduce the clutter and the features count and improve the sound quality.

Fandango Andy

My Omnia has lots of stuff I don't need and it sounds really soft and dull. I want an amp that's small, efficient and sounds brighter and detailed. The Marantz M1 is what I'm looking for, but wondered if anyone had the SVS unit. My current setup is really cluttered and I can fit a smaller streaming amp in my TV unit and then get a TV on top. I hate the sound of my Omnia and the QA3030i speakers, compared to my headphones plugged into my new PC. I want to reduce the clutter and the features count and improve the sound quality.

The size issue makes sense, and also helps you set your first parameter.

Hating the sound is a more complicated one. It may be the speakers, not the amp. And if it's the speakers, it may be their positioning rather than the speakers themselves.

It sounds like you need to audition the top contenders.

podknocker

The speakers are positioned OK and with a slight toe in. The bass boom has gone since I shoved the foam bungs in and they sound OK, but I need something quicker and brighter. I'm not too bothered about having more bass, but a tighter and more textured bass would be good. I think the combo I have was always destined to sound a bit soft and dull and laid back. It's only bothered my since I listened to Spotify via the Sennheiser cans, plugged into my new Windows 11 PC. It just makes you realise how good headphones and audio chips are these days. My Omnia and speakers do give me things the headphones can't so I won't be going headphones only. It all sounds lovely and fairly clean and there are no anomalies to ruin the experience, I just need a bit more pizzazz! I will try and demo some new class D streamers at Richer Sounds in a few weeks. I know the listening room will sound different to my living room so it's not a perfect exercise. I do intend buying a TV eventually and have this through the amp, so I will need something to give vocals a bit of a lift. I listen to podcasts and speech does seem to be a little distant and in the background with my current system. It's all a bit dark sounding and I do think it's both the Omnia and speakers. They are designed to be pleasant sounding and not offend with anything you play. I'm after something with more bite and detail, especially in the treble.

Last edited:

Jasonovich

Have a look at Doug Brady Pod, they have some excellent deals on streaming amps. The one that caught my eye was the Roksan originally £1599 knocked down to £1099 (open Box) comes in white or black.

https://dougbradyhifi.com/collections/streaming-amplifiers,

1726134003402.png
Other alternatives and cheaper, yeah I kind of like the Attessa :)
Though, the Technics SA-C600 looks promising and possibly more versatile and better priced?
1726134316934.png
1726134135264.png
1726134169102.png
1726134201062.png
Update:
Better I think to avoid Audiolab 6000A, it has the same amp as the Omnia and has been noted by some as dull sounding.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS