surround amp help

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
need some help people, i have recently started to upgrade from a all in one surround sound system to seperates. my dilema is i have just bought the sony bdp-s370 blu ray player and i am now looking to get a surround amp but not sure which one to get, im stuck between the sony str-dh810 and the denon avr-1910. my budget is £350 tops and from the reveiws i have read about these 2 if i think either one would be good but just cant make the decision on which one, so can anyone help? thanks

A

Anonymous

I know its slightly more than your budget but have you thought about the new Onkyo TX-SR608 ? It got a good write up on the latest issue and its around £399 from some online retailers.

If that's too much then I would say the Denon 1910, it's a last generation receiver but still very good by all accounts.

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Tim1980,

If you are not planning to embrace 3D, I would suggest you opt for the Sony STR-DH800 instead, or possibly even it's predecessor, the STR-DG820, if you can find one. Both are excellent budget choices.

The Denon AVR-1910 is on the next price band and is certainly the better amp compared to the Sony choices, and if you can get one for a good price, then this would certainly be the one to go for.

Alternatively, try an Onkyo TX-SR607 which can be had for cheaper than the Denon and and would certainly be my choice simply because I prefer a dynamic and muscular sound.

Ronald

scene

If you're not interested in 3D then the Denon is a higher quality amp than the Sony and will be a bigger step up. Having said that, I agree it might be worth trying to demo it against the tx-607' to see which you prefer (if possible). It depends on personal taste, what you're going to use it for (any music usage?) and what speakers you're going to match it with. Are you going to try to keep the speakers that came with your all-in-one
emotion-45.gif
or get some step up speakers as well
emotion-21.gif
I would recommend this, as you will quickly find that your current speakers become the limiting factor in any upgrade.

A

Anonymous

thanks for the good advice. i will be for the moment using the speakers from the all in one system but will be upgrading them as soon as possible to a much better quality speaker set up :)

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
Be careful! You haven't mentioned speakers yet, but you would probably not be able to use the speakers from your 'all-in-one' . Most of these systems employ a passive sub and there would be big impedance problems.

A

Anonymous

I certainly wouldn`t purchase out going models, my choice without doubt would be the Onkyo 608 if budget allows. As mentioned though your existing speakers especially the sub might not figure into this upgrade if its a passive one, ( no inbuilt amplifier).

But rest assured the Onkyo will deliver when you purchase your new speakers and it has all the audio decoding requirements you need as well as good connectivity.

Al
emotion-21.gif

TRENDING THREADS