Bi wiring advice please

Zepfan

Feb 11, 2024
Visit site
hi
I have a Sony STR-DA3500ES receiver
can I bi-wire my mission 753 front speakers and still use my my mission 75c centre and my mission 751 rears

the manual is a wee bit confusing saying you can bi amp using surround channel but I am confused

any help would be much appreciated

cheers guys

abacus

Bi-Wiring and Bi-amping are 2 different things.
Bi-Witing just means you use 2 cables connected to 1 output and then after removing the links on the back of the speakers (Assuming they are bi-wirable) and connecting each cable to the terminals, however it serves no usual purpose (Except for the placebo effect) so not worth doing.
Bi-amping means you use 4 channels of amplification (Main and surround) connected to the separate terminals (Links removed) on the speakers, however as you are still using the same power supply in the receiver, the difference will be next to nothing. (Or more likely actually nothing)
Best to leave things as they are, unless something is faulty.

Bill

Reactions: DougK1

Zepfan

Feb 11, 2024
Visit site
Bi-Wiring and Bi-amping are 2 different things.
Bi-Witing just means you use 2 cables connected to 1 output and then after removing the links on the back of the speakers (Assuming they are bi-wirable) and connecting each cable to the terminals, however it serves no usual purpose (Except for the placebo effect) so not worth doing.
Bi-amping means you use 4 channels of amplification (Main and surround) connected to the separate terminals (Links removed) on the speakers, however as you are still using the same power supply in the receiver, the difference will be next to nothing. (Or more likely actually nothing)
Best to leave things as they are, unless something is faulty.

Bill

Zepfan

Feb 11, 2024
Visit site
yes thanks........ I know they are 2 different things .......but I would still like to know if its possible

mision 753 speakers are both bi wire-able and bi-amp-able

its the sony manual thats confusing a bit

Messiah

Bi-wire - yes. As Abacus said, you need 2 runs of cable for each speaker (or bi-wire cable which is essentially the same thing but neater).
This gives you 2 positive and 2 negative connections per speaker.
On the amp end you need to cram both positive (and separately, both negative) ends into one terminal (or banana plug). Can be tricky depending how thick your cables are.
On the speaker end the 2 positive will each individually go into a positive terminal. Same for the negative. Ensure the jumper bars are removed. (I hope this makes sense). Feel I need to sketch it out. lol.
(Having done this myself with all the Mission speakers you mention, it makes little, if any, difference).

Bi-amp - Yes and no. As Symples said you could bi-amp using the surround terminals (odd the Sony does not allow the use of the Front B but I assume they are linked to the same amp module?)
However, doing this means you can no longer use the surrounds as, amongst other reasons, they will not be connected).

(Page 102, think there was a typo above).

TRENDING THREADS